Mar 17, 2016 at 9:22 PM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
No, that's the executable header. You shouldn't modify it.
What do you mean by 'Executable Header?' They all seem to be DB 00, which is basically nothing, unless something else in the game modifies them.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
What do you mean by 'Executable Header?' They all seem to be DB 00, which is basically nothing, unless something else in the game modifies them.

Not all of the binary you see in the executable is meant to be interpreted as assembly. I'm not sure what that section does myself, but I wouldn't touch it.

Mar 18, 2016 at 3:29 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Not all of the binary you see in the executable is meant to be interpreted as assembly. I'm not sure what that section does myself, but I wouldn't touch it.
I changed it all to ADD BYTE PTR DS: [EAX], AL and nothing bad happened?
EDIT: Also, 400000~4002CC is the executable header. The addresses after that are all DB 00, with hex values 0000

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2016 at 3:41 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I changed it all to ADD BYTE PTR DS: [EAX], AL and nothing bad happened?

Oh no. The microsoft police are en route to your house as we speak.

Nobody's going to stop you from editing that part, but do so at your own risk. It could just be padding (there's always a bit of padding between the compiled functions).

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:29 AM
"Huzzah!"
So I was editing the health of the Buyo enemy(from the labyrinth). And for some reason it's health is at 1000, but in-game it's like 50. But when I set it to a value lower than 920, it dies immediately when it spawns. Why and how does its health work like that?

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:53 AM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
So I was editing the health of the Buyo enemy(from the labyrinth). And for some reason it's health is at 1000, but in-game it's like 50. But when I set it to a value lower than 920, it dies immediately when it spawns. Why and how does its health work like that?
some npc's have their health set to 1000 like the gaudis and the butes. when they lose a certain amount of health, they trigger certain events like the gaudi changing into a dying gaudi. in the case of the Buyo base, when its health is 950 or lower, it turns into a dead buyo sprite

Mar 19, 2016 at 4:37 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
some npc's have their health set to 1000 like the gaudis and the butes. when they lose a certain amount of health, they trigger certain events like the gaudi changing into a dying gaudi. in the case of the Buyo base, when its health is 950 or lower, it turns into a dead buyo sprite
I'll add to that. The reason for the values being so high is to prevent the player from actually killing the entity before the code is run, otherwise a simple overflow in damage (like the level 2 blade) killing a Gaudi will immediately destroy it. If, for example, you were to make an uber high damage weapon that does over 1000 damage, Gaudis and Butes killed will explode immediately. The buyo base will explode without leaving behind any carcass and even energy capsules will be completely destroyed and not drop anything! Deleets will explode instantly and not take any blocks with them, and the shootable statues in the chamber before Ballos will also be completely destroyed!
If you want to see the effect of such a weapon, go find my mod 'Rise of Ballos' and get the Super Spur and fire a fully charged shot into an energy capsule. It may even drop hearts for you to collect!
EDIT: I have a question, why do you people still use
PUSH EBP
MOV EBP, ESP
and then ADD ESP, something
when there's ENTER, and
MOV ESP, EBP
POP EBP
when there's LEAVE

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Excuse me,everyone one. Can someone explain me how to create my own tiles in Cave Editor ? I don't know how to do that.

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:45 PM
Its dark in here
Excuse me,everyone one. Can someone explain me how to create my own tiles in Cave Editor ? I don't know how to do that.
to change the tile types open up one of the tile sets in CE and right click one of the tiles and it will let you change the tile type. if you want to change what the tile looks like then just edit the BMP of the tile set you want to edit.

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:29 AM
War criminal
I've been wondering, how does the Almond Flag 4000 work, and how do I use it?

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:12 PM
"Huzzah!"
So i've been wondering, how come when you use <MPL (uh... The one that displays the map) in an event other than the map system. It glitches out, and shows you where you were before, when it's displaying the map?

Apr 11, 2016 at 9:18 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Er... Flag 4000 changes the normal death script to event 4000, and if set, will bypass the usual drowning message.

<MPL wasn't supposed to be used that often... I'll have to investigate it a bit

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:08 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I am making a mod and was wondering, why are there 4 different scripts that change the music and fade in?

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM
Its dark in here
I am making a mod and was wondering, why are there 4 different scripts that change the music and fade in?
Only one is ever used but we can only assume that pixel himself tested all 4 transitions with each map change and decided to just leave the leftover script

Apr 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
uh
it's just the default script template. he pasted those into every map, and each corresponds with a transition direction. so he could always use the same event # when entering a given map with a given direction.

Apr 18, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Only one is ever used but we can only assume that pixel himself tested all 4 transitions with each map change and decided to just leave the leftover script
Thanks, also how come there are two scripts with #1000 to #1005 (one for teleporting and one for weapons)?

Apr 20, 2016 at 1:20 PM
Catz R cool
"..."
Hey guys I did a random search of the executable and found addresses in asm up to 68DFFF!
I'm really confused as to what these are.
What's the point of all these random codes, or are they the other embedded files, bitmaps, or ORG files?

Apr 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM
beep boop
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
So I have been messing with the horizontile blocks, and I've been trying to make them all move at once using <ANP, but they just aren't working how I want them to. They still work like normal, instead of all moving in sync at once. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Apr 22, 2016 at 12:41 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
@Bionicobot:
I'm pretty sure you have to call each entity animation separately, for horizontal blocks I think use this
<ANP0149:0011:0000 to get them moving left and
<ANP0149:0021:0002 to move them right.

Apr 23, 2016 at 8:38 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Uhhhhhhh anyone have the offsets for how many bullets the snake allows onscreen? mainly just levels 2&3 though
Cause I looked around and yeah nope