Oct 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yawp.
think you got that one right.

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:20 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
wedge of cheese said:
Ah, so it actually doesn't matter whether or not the entity you're interacting with does damage, it just needs to be on the ground all or at least most of the time.

Oh, thats awesome!

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:24 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lol, I love how you quoted me when it was actually Vercci who pointed it out :)

Oct 26, 2009 at 8:43 PM
You explained it better :)

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:52 PM
wedge of cheese said:
#xxxx
<FLJffff:yyyy[get polar star]<FL+ffff<END

#yyyy
[the "something different"]<END

I tried this, but it didn't work. Here's the script I have:

<FLJ0106:0100<KEY<MSGCan't go out there with out a weapon.<NOD<MSGHere have this thing I found.<CMU0010<GIT0002<MSGIt's the =Polar Star=!<WAI0160<AM+0002:0000<FL+0100<END

<KEY<MSGSorry, but I don't have anything else to give you.<END

Oct 27, 2009 at 12:11 AM
lessee, ya wanna swap around the arguments in the flj, put a comma after here,put a clr after the nod before the git, and have nods before both ends.

it's really only the first part that's messing you up, though, the rest is mostly cosmetic.

so this:
Code:
[B]<FLJ0100:0106[/B]<KEY<MSGYou can't go out there with out a weapon!<NOD[B]<CLR[/B]Here[B],[/B] have this thing I found.[B]<NOD<CLR[/B]<CMU0010<GIT0002It's the =Polar Star=!<WAI0160[B]<NOD<CLR[/B]<AM+0002:0000<FL+0100<END

<KEY<MSGSorry, but I don't have anything else to give you.[B]<NOD<CLR[/B]<END

changes are in bold. hope that helps.

(you only need to do msg once, unless you have a clo, and you need more nods to make it work better)

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:04 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Sorry to interrupt, but I have a few questions. Which means around 4 or 5.

1. How do I get the sprites to display properly? I am currently attempting to use both Maze and Guest sprite sets in the same map and I can only get one to display the proper sprites, depending on which I have first. Meaning, if I have Maze first, all maze sprites are shown correctly, however, If I have it second, it uses a glitched sprite set. Btw, the Sprites used are guadi, Kanpachi, chinfish, and purple critter. (Note: none of this is supposed to make any sense at all in the mod, you just go along with all the crap I send at you.

2. Triggering hidden blocks, making them appear and disappear. (Yeah, I could look this one up, but this keeps it all in one spot:D.)

3. What do I need to do so that when a boss appears, several enemies appear also? (they do not use the same HP bar as the boss, they are there just to make things a little more hectic.) Oh, and is it possible to delay their spawn, (for example, summons enemies at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 HP) to make it seem as if the boss "summoned" them?

4. What part of the TSC controls how far an NPC walks? (again, I could look it up, just want some clarification.)

And that's it. Help would be very much appreciated.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:17 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:

1. How do I get the sprites to display properly? I am currently attempting to use both Maze and Guest sprite sets in the same map and I can only get one to display the proper sprites, depending on which I have first. Meaning, if I have Maze first, all maze sprites are shown correctly, however, If I have it second, it uses a glitched sprite set. Btw, the Sprites used are guadi, Kanpachi, chinfish, and purple critter. (Note: none of this is supposed to make any sense at all in the mod, you just go along with all the crap I send at you.

2. Triggering hidden blocks, making them appear and disappear. (Yeah, I could look this one up, but this keeps it all in one spot:D.)

3. What do I need to do so that when a boss appears, several enemies appear also? (they do not use the same HP bar as the boss, they are there just to make things a little more hectic.) Oh, and is it possible to delay their spawn, (for example, summons enemies at 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 HP) to make it seem as if the boss "summoned" them?

4. What part of the TSC controls how far an NPC walks? (again, I could look it up, just want some clarification.)

And that's it. Help would be very much appreciated.

1. You mess with what sprite sheet the npc's draw from, but from the sounds of it you're trying to use sprites from different sprite sheets that weren't meant to be mixed. So good luck with that.

2. Use horizontal/vertical/npc 0's to trigger script events with the <CMP command. CMP changes map tiles.

3. To spawn at the same time as the boss is summoned, just use <SNP. For hp and such, assembly is what's needed.

4. The only thing that controls how far it walks is how long the animation runs for (so if you only want it to walk for 30 seconds, set it to walk and then like after a <WAI0100 set it's animation to 0).

Most of this will take some fun scripting/playing around with the editor. You'll have to figure most of it out yourself, since there is no easy way to make complex script algorithms.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Not to steal your thunder, Mr. Cyowolf, but I also have a small question.

I've been using Sue's workshop primarily, but I wanted to take a stab at Cave Editor. I found many features in CE helpful, but it seems to horribly corrupt my game.

My procedure was as follows:
*Change 4 pixels in MyChar.pbm in Cave Editor
*Remove (C)Pixel Requirement for images in Cave Editor.
*Load it up In Sue's Workshop and be surprised that there are no maps anymore.
*Notice the Exe no longer works.

I made a backup right before I did this, luckily, as it's happened every time I try to do something in Cave Editor. (I have a feeling it's the (C) Pixel thing, because that's what I do every time)

:| Any helps?

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:20 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Cyowolf1122 said:

Certain NPCs are set to display from either NPC tileset one or tileset 2. In general, normal enemies/npc tilesets go in 1, and boss stuff goes in 2. Although, NpcCent goes in tileset 2. Just checked, and guest goes in slot 1. I imagine maze does as well. You can fix this with CaveEditor's NPC.tbl editor though. (built in goodness!)

Cyowolf1122 said:

I'm not entirely sure whatcha mean here. If you mean you want blocks to appear when you are within a certain radius, then that's a bit tricky. However, it's not hard to set up a h/v trigger that <CMP (change map tile) them there when you pass it, they'll just stay there until you reload the map.

Cyowolf1122 said:
The first part of this could be achieved by using <SNP (set npc) in the same script just after your <BSL. As for having them appear at certain phases of the fight, My suggestion would be to have his health bar drop to zero, and in his defeated script spawn them and make a new boss with a new health bar. (this of course would mean he would have to have less health himself, since you'd be facing him 2,3,4 times.)

Cyowolf1122 said:

<WAIYYYY
then either <ANPXXXX:0000:NNNN
or <DNPXXXX if they're leaving through a door or offscreen.

@ Strawberry: Sue's eats anything touched by CE in a visceral and gory manner. Sorry, but you have to pick one or the other.

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:20 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Strawberry said:
Not to steal your thunder, Mr. Cyowolf, but I also have a small question.

I've been using Sue's workshop primarily, but I wanted to take a stab at Cave Editor. I found many features in CE helpful, but it seems to horribly corrupt my game.

My procedure was as follows:
*Change 4 pixels in MyChar.pbm in Cave Editor
*Remove (C)Pixel Requirement for images in Cave Editor.
*Load it up In Sue's Workshop and be surprised that there are no maps anymore.
*Notice the Exe no longer works.

I made a backup right before I did this, luckily, as it's happened every time I try to do something in Cave Editor. (I have a feeling it's the (C) Pixel thing, because that's what I do every time)

:| Any helps?

Cave Editor moves the map data (map names and such) around. Sue's workshop adds it's custom map data at the end of the exe.

When you make any edits with CE, it moves the map data. When Sue's Workshop tries to open it, it looks for the old map data, and subsequently corrupts the exe. What does this mean? It means:

-if you make any edits to the executable with CE, do NOT edit it again with SW
-it also means SW cannot handle custom music importation. Sad, isn't it?

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
@ Strawberry

Hah, no prob, but I can easily answer your question, assuming I heard it right.

You edited it with CE and then SW, which corrupts the exe. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you cannot interchange between the two.

Edit: knew someone would post before me...

Oh, and thanks GIRakaCHEEZER and Noxid, I'll see what I can do with what you gave me.

Edit2: Damnit, I'm using Sue's workshop... Oh well, I'll see if I can somehow get the sprites to work, cuz I do NOT want to redo everything in CE... despite having maybe seven maps completed... which I also need to debug.... hmmm, maybe I will use CE... IF it will let me...

Oct 27, 2009 at 4:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bwaaah! Depressing.

-pictures SW eating CE- :|

I'm just so indecisive. I think I'll switch to CE after this is done... Thank you for your help ^^;

Oct 27, 2009 at 7:39 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Edit2: Damnit, I'm using Sue's workshop... Oh well, I'll see if I can somehow get the sprites to work, cuz I do NOT want to redo everything in CE... despite having maybe seven maps completed... which I also need to debug.... hmmm, maybe I will use CE... IF it will let me...

1) You don't need to change to CE. The problem is every map can be assigned 2 sprite sheets, and enemies select their sprites from one of them. However, in the npc.tbl, each NPC is designed to choose the locations to pull sprites from either constant pictures (mychar.pbm, npcregu.pbm, bullet.pbm) or from the Local spritesheet A or B (Using someone's npc.tbl editor for reference)

If you open the npc.tbl in a decent editor, you can change which sheet each npc pulls their sprites. However, if you use those npc's elsewhere in the mod, you will have to arrange the local spritesheets around to make them display correctly.

I still haven't had time to check if I can edit the npc.tbl in cave editor and then open it up with sue's workshop. (Been busy, and I still have to reply to a PM I got.)

2) the scripts and maps are not saved in the exe. If you swap from sue's to cave editor, your mod will be fine. It's going from cave editor to sue's workshop that screws the exe (and as long as you don't close it, you can make a copy of the exe and then rename that to save your exe file)

Oct 27, 2009 at 5:01 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Cyowolf1122 said:

Well, I can think of two solutions to this. One is to duplicate the *.exe and edit one with SW and the other with CE. The other is you could download my npc.tbl editor from the tribute site, and use that (it doesn't touch the exe or any files other than "npc.tbl").

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:02 AM
How do you hack TSC? So like, actually create new tags?

EDIT:
I know it will probably be incredibly difficult, but still...

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:20 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
In order to create new TSC commands, of which you'd need a hex editor to do so (unless I'm wrong, which is possible).

And yes, it is difficult, especially if you've never dealt with a hex editor.

Have you tried your hand at modding CS first? I'd highly recommend doing so before jumping into this.

Edit: GIR or lace might be able to teach you, I, however cannot. Check back in a couple of years and it may be a different story.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:21 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DaPhinoXX said:
How do you hack TSC? So like, actually create new tags?

EDIT:
I know it will probably be incredibly difficult, but still...

It all depends on how much you know about assembly, since adding TSC commands involves hacking it.

I myself have added a couple new commands to the TSC parser (check the link to WTF-story's developement blog in my signature if you want more information on what they were), and if you know enough assembly it really shouldn't be too hard.

If you are going to take a stab at assembly hacking for the purposes of TSC hacking, the offset that the parser is located at is 422510. It's a pretty long function, since it does a character by character comparison to check which TSC function it is.

Cyowolf1122 said:
In order to create new TSC commands, of which you'd need a hex editor to do so (unless I'm wrong, which is possible).

Hacking with just a hex editor would be a pain in the ass. I recommend for assembly hacking that you grab something like ollydebug, or maybe the IDA disassembler. I myself use ollydebug.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:29 AM
ya, me too, though the lack of a ctrl+s, really, really, irks me.

Oct 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Lace said:
ya, me too, though the lack of a ctrl+s, really, really, irks me.

Lol really? I usually plan a lot out before I go ahead with a save. Plus if I need to test something quickly, I just edit the code whilst it's running. My favourite thing to do is to delete essential (or not so essential) function calls to see what they do. It's quite entertaining :rolleyes:.