Oct 28, 2009 at 1:48 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I sorta have a 'save every five seconds' outlook on life, due to the amount of junk I've lost by not saving.
and yes, deletin essential function calls is supa fun.

I think I wanna screw around with the physics some more, it was pretty fun when I did it yesterday (see sonic).

and to go along with the spirit of this thread, anyone know what the asm adress for the moving wall is?

Oct 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Moving wall? Do you mean those moving blocks? Those are entity 149 and 157, so according to the npc pointer table...

149: Moving Block (Horiz) : 0x0045170

157: Moving Block (Vert) : 0x0046CA0

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM
O.o

thanks noxid, I don't know how/why I've never ever ever found that.

Oct 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It all depends on how much you know about assembly, since adding TSC commands involves hacking it.

I myself have added a couple new commands to the TSC parser (check the link to WTF-story's developement blog in my signature if you want more information on what they were), and if you know enough assembly it really shouldn't be too hard.

If you are going to take a stab at assembly hacking for the purposes of TSC hacking, the offset that the parser is located at is 422510. It's a pretty long function, since it does a character by character comparison to check which TSC function it is.

I have seen your WTF story blog, and it looks great so far.

Also, I'd love to start learning assembly slowly, so it looks like this is much farther ahead of me so far. But I have started modding CS, like editing scripts and creating new maps in such.

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
Okay, I'll probably sound like a complete idiot for asking this, but I'm trying to use Sue's Workshop to hack Cave Story, but whenever I try to do anything, the program brings up an error message saying "Can't load tileset"
What do I do?

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM
Hoxtilicious
Zeralith said:
Okay, I'll probably sound like a complete idiot for asking this, but I'm trying to use Sue's Workshop to hack Cave Story, but whenever I try to do anything, the program brings up an error message saying "Can't load tileset"
What do I do?

Try Version 0.3A, it's still there for a reason. o:

Version 0.3C is only for hacked Cave Story versions: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/512/

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:23 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Just wondering, will adding a new enemy to the game be as equally hard as just editing an existing enemy to attack a different way?

Oh yeah, I did some tests. Editing npc.tbl with CE does not make it incompatible with Sue's workshop as long as you don't change any map data.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:30 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Some assembly required

Vercci said:
Just wondering, will adding a new enemy to the game be as equally hard as just editing an existing enemy to attack a different way?
No, it'd be much easier to simply modify an existing enemy, but it'll still require Assembly knowledge.
Vercci said:
Oh yeah, I did some tests. Editing npc.tbl with CE does not make it incompatible with Sue's workshop as long as you don't change any map data.
No wonder, since the problem with the two editors exists in the EXE, not the tbl, which is a different file all together.

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:46 AM
Re: Some assembly required

VoidMage_Lowell said:
No, it'd be much easier to simply modify an existing enemy, but it'll still require Assembly knowledge.

That.
It takes a ridiculous amount of time and dedication to get a completely new enemy to work.
Editing is a different story, but still pretty hard.

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Lace said:
That.
It takes a ridiculous amount of time and dedication to get a completely new enemy to work.
Editing is a different story, but still pretty hard.

Not really, if you know how entity code works it can be pretty easy to start from scratch.

The thing I don't like about just editing existing code is that it involves a lot of reverse engineering of the code (understanding "how" the code works). If you know how to build it from scratch it might be easier to do it that way.

Of course it depends on how complicated the edit will be. If it'll work as an edit of an entity (a simple edit) then you should go with that. Otherwise you might wanna try from scratch.

I'd recommend at least building one entity from scratch, since you'll learn a lot about how the entity code works then.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I'l probably try giving this a shot when I can find the time, but does anyone know if you can trick sue's workshop to accepting maps made in cave editor?

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:36 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Evidence

This question's directed mostly to those who know the offsets and mappings of the EXE far better than I do :(
I've looked around a bit and asked some people, but in all my time here {And I browse all the threads, frequently} I don't remember ever seeing an offset for the length of the intro scene...
I'm afraid I might've missed it somewhere, though, because I remember some hacks {jcys810's Essence of Chaos and cheese's Revorshkenahl, for example} seemed to have different lengths, but they might've just squeezed in their custom cutscenes within the original time limit.
Anyways, is there an offset that controls the intro's length? And, if so, where/what is it?
And if you don't know, where could I start looking to find it? {Say, in the middle of all of the other intro offsets}

Vercci said:
I'l probably try giving this a shot when I can find the time, but does anyone know if you can trick sue's workshop to accepting maps made in cave editor?
That trick involves keeping two EXEs, one for CE and one for SW.
You simply copy the data folder of one over to the other whenever you need to switch, but whatever you do in the EXE for one editor, you'll have to do the same for the other EXE on the other editor.

Oct 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"

Vercci said:

Just a quick question, by why would you want to do that?

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:01 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oh god, horrible allusion...

The best of both worlds?
Sometimes it's nice to have the option of both editors at once, instead of sticking solely to a single one.
There are things one can do that the other can't.
{I think..}

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:16 AM
cheese traveled to a few different maps in his intro, which might've lengthened the limit a bit.
and yes, there is an offset for it, I'm not currently aware of it's position, however.

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmmm...

Lace said:
cheese traveled to a few different maps in his intro, which might've lengthened the limit a bit.
and yes, there is an offset for it, I'm not currently aware of it's position, however.
Well, I don't think I can really try what cheese did, so the option of lengthening the timer would probably be my only choice...
Any idea where one would look to find it, or is it like hunting in the dark?
{I'm going to disappear for a bit, though}

Oct 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I didn't do anything tricky with the intro sequence in TWoR; it's the same time length as in Cave Story.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:16 PM
never said you did, there was a might in there, somewhere.

Oct 30, 2009 at 8:20 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Lmao, I wasn't accusing you :(, I just wanted y'all to know :o

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:22 AM

DaPhinoXX said:
Just a quick question, by why would you want to do that?

Map specific bosses. If you have use for them in several parts, you can use cave editor to edit those bosses in. You can't do it with SW though.