Nov 17, 2011 at 6:07 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I have a quote facepic edit that I made a million years ago but I have no idea whether Cult is using it or not

but no hair? is he a cancer victim now? D:

With regards to the second half of the post, that's basically the order of events.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:13 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Noxid said:
I have a quote facepic edit that I made a million years ago but I have no idea whether Cult is using it or not

but no hair? is he a cancer victim now? D:

With regards to the second half of the post, that's basically the order of events.

Without the hat**

Oh god lol >u>''

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:14 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Okay, coming out of a CS background I Really want to put comments in my scripts. Is there a way to do that? I guess I could make an extra event that holds comments for each event I actually want to call, but is there a better way?

EDIT: In cave editor.

Nov 17, 2011 at 6:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I feel like I have answered this one very recently

Anyway: You can add whatever text you want after an <END command or anyplace else that won't be reached by the script. CE won't like it when it tries to highlight things but that won't affect how the actual game sees it.
If you use my TSC editor it will highlight in green what shouldn't be accessible by script, but I was extremely lazy when I programmed the highlighting so it works kind of uh, situationally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 17, 2011 at 7:38 AM
I have partially done the "breaking down door" thing, but how do I make Quote disappear BEFORE the door entity disappears?
<DNP or Disappear after flag X is set doesn't seem to be working.
...or I'm doing it wrong >:Y

Nov 17, 2011 at 8:06 AM
Little Bitch in Sheep Clothing
"..."
Quick question, can I put in animation like the part when the island fall?

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Been here way too long...
Anything that cavestory does, you can do.

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:15 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Okay so uh I'm setting the invincibility flag on things and it's not working, wat do?

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:44 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
RageTH said:
I have partially done the "breaking down door" thing, but how do I make Quote disappear BEFORE the door entity disappears?
<DNP or Disappear after flag X is set doesn't seem to be working.
...or I'm doing it wrong >:Y
If you're talking about the player quote, you need to use <HMC / <SMC to have it appear/disappear.
DoubleThink said:
Okay so uh I'm setting the invincibility flag on things and it's not working, wat do?

Flag 0x20 (Shootable) overrides flag 0x4 (invincible)

Nov 17, 2011 at 3:45 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Are you trying to make an object that's not normally shootable to be invincible? If so, you have to set the shootable flag as well, otherwise the bullets just go right through.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:05 PM
Noxid said:
If you're talking about the player quote, you need to use <HMC / <SMC to have it appear/disappear.

After some tinkering, it worked! Thanks, Nox <3
Looks like I'm on my way to getting at least a little bit of success.
Next step : Dialogues and events if you did flag x or no, and translating in portuguese for my classmates. Damn ;_;

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Help with Hacking/Modding

I decided to get my crap together and try to start making something from the tools this game offers. I downloaded CaveEditor and started tinkering with the maps and scripts to try and figure out how things worked. While i figured out how the simple things, like changing maps and music, I want to look at the things that reside underneath the basics.

I can't seem to find how enemies are animated, or how the AI is tied to entities. I don't know too much about assembly code, and this may be a big question to ask but any help that those who know assembly or have edited the game's code is appreciated.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Re: Help with Hacking/Modding

jaeman said:
I decided to get my crap together and try to start making something from the tools this game offers. I downloaded CaveEditor and started tinkering with the maps and scripts to try and figure out how things worked. While i figured out how the simple things, like changing maps and music, I want to look at the things that reside underneath the basics.

I can't seem to find how enemies are animated, or how the AI is tied to entities. I don't know too much about assembly code, and this may be a big question to ask but any help that those who know assembly or have edited the game's code is appreciated.

It's recommended that you investigate some of the already published literature we have accumulated over the years if you are interested in assembly, since it isn't something that can be explained breifly but if you take the time to check out our resources it shouldn't be that hard to get at least a basic understanding. Then if you have more specific questions, please ask in the Quick Hacking/Modding answers thread.

Some links to get you started:
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2305/
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/1667/
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/2046/

And these are all stickies so you shouuuulllddd have seen and looked at them.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks Noxid. Ill get right to sorting through these. and i had just went to searching on google for help, didnt really stop by the forum until i was a bit more desperate.

Nov 20, 2011 at 3:49 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
jaeman said:
Thanks Noxid. Ill get right to sorting through these. and i had just went to searching on google for help, didnt really stop by the forum until i was a bit more desperate.

Unfortunately we are cultists, and few people seem to care about x86 outside of this forum.*

*Unless you work for Intel, are the creator of OllyDbg, or are modding a different PC game.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
So, not sure if this is the right thread, but I've somehow managed to get tiles from two tilesets into a single level.
p198942-0-eit9o7.png

The Cave tileset is entirely unedited and I can't figure out what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:53 PM
Professional Whatever
Take it...out? Just change the tile.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
The tileset goes onto a buffer bitmap for holding to be drawn off of
When you load a new tileset, it overwrites the buffer; if the previous image was larger, then the extra tiles stay. Thus, if your map indexes a tile that is OOB on the new tileset it may show one from the old tileset.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM
Been here way too long...
That. This is why you can access tiles from other maps with TSC.