Plotholes and gaps: What we DON'T know

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Brickman said:
I've got a better question on the Booster issue: Why, if you don't take the jetpack, are Booster's glasses fixed when he makes it to Arthur's house?

duh, he had a pair in arthur's house.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:21 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
DoubleThink said:
This is a very interesting question, as is who built the Egg Corridor, and who rigged up the island with all that plumbing. Not to mention I can't remember if it's said what it is that Moromin and Co. were actually going to the island to study in the first place. The island has a varied and violent past, and there was obviously a technological influence on it at some point. For the most part, we can only speculate... or do what I do and make stuff up to explain it :eek:
The human explorers obviously rigged it up.

The Joker said:
Also, what the heck is balrog???
An early build robot.

Jay City said:
What's Misery secret to look young after 4 generations of crown masters? :rolleyes: lol
Probably how Ballos and Jenka are still alive after the millenia since Ballos went crazy, or just because of the whole bubble sleep state between the reigns of each bearer.

GuilhermeEin said:
who's miza father? i need to know when I ask for her hand.
Some mortal that died of old age a long time ago.

time.X.300 said:
my question is.. how the heck the island stop falling if you kill ballos????
Because Ballos was using his magic to destroy his prison (the island) by ramming it into the ground.

dooey100 said:
but what about, ya know, gravity? What holds the island up after the good ending?
The core never kept the island in the air, it just stopped it from falling. More specifically it stopped Ballos from dragging the island to the ground.

Jan 27, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Agent of the System
andwhyisit said:

An early build robot.

Probably how Ballos and Jenka are still alive after the millenia since Ballos went crazy, or just because of the whole bubble sleep state between the reigns of each bearer.

Some mortal that died of old age a long time ago.

Because Ballos was using his magic to destroy his prison (the island) by ramming it into the ground.

The core never kept the island in the air, it just stopped it from falling. More specifically it stopped Ballos from dragging the island to the ground.

See, those answers actually make some sense.:rolleyes:

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Brickman said:
I've got a better question on the Booster issue: Why, if you don't take the jetpack, are Booster's glasses fixed when he makes it to Arthur's house?
Technically you never actually see how he lands, so the way I like to think of it is a sort of Schrodinger's Booster - he's only definitely hurt until you go down and check. In the version of reality where you leave him to lie, for whichever reason, he's not that badly beat up and he falls and lands safely, so he's able enough to get the teleporter working properly. Then he gets drawn across the dimensional distortion into the reality where he died and sets out to re-unite the time-lines to repair the past and save the future :rolleyes:
Or maybe he carries around extra lenses since red ones probably aren't that easy to find >_>

andwhyisit said:
Eh? Which ones? I'm pretty sure Moromin's little group didn't build the EC, since their base of operations was up on the surface. Or if you mean the plumbing, that was already in place 10 years ago (I think 10? Why do I think 10?) when the robots were originally sent to the island.

andwhyisit said:
Millennia? That's not good, I thought it was like a couple of hundred at most D:

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Millennia? That's not good, I thought it was like a couple of hundred at most D:
Sorry I was just guessing. Replace "millennia" with how ever long it takes to go from magic, kings, and castles to advanced AI, energy weapons, and to get though 4 generations of crown bearers. Should be over 1000 at least, judging from Earth history.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Agent of the System
supermario566 said:
Why does Booster die if you talk to him in the Labrynth, but end up unscathed if you ignore him?
Ok ok, I got this one. So you see him fall from the top, right? Well, upon falling a cute little cockroach comes out to help him, but upon seeing you decides that it is too dangerous, thats why he dies after you leave. But if you don't go down then the cockroach fixes him all back up(even giving him a new pair of glasses).

The Joker

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
andwhyisit said:
Sorry I was just guessing. Replace "millennia" with how ever long it takes to go from magic, kings, and castles to advanced AI, energy weapons, and to get though 4 generations of crown bearers. Should be over 1000 at least, judging from Earth history.
Hmm... I do remember our friend the Jealous King, but a monarchy/"kingdom" doesn't necessarily imply a dark age, or even a lack of technology. Ballos himself probably contributed to the advancement of the culture, and this would have survived in one way or another because obviously he didn't kill everybody. It also says Jenka's a witch, but I don't think it explicitly states anywhere that this extends her life-span... she could be like 90 for all we know :/

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
JacobX891 said:
Balrog is Balrog. The question you pose is a question with no answer.
Go make Balrog Story.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM
Agent of the System
freezit4 said:
Go make Balrog Story.
That could be interesting, playing as balrog, a big block of robotic death.

The Joker

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM
Agent of the System
JacobX891 said:
I have very little modding, hacking and graphic skill. I'm not exactly the right fit for the job.

My thoughts exactly. Only you are still twice as good as me.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
DoubleThink said:
Hmm... I do remember our friend the Jealous King, but a monarchy/"kingdom" doesn't necessarily imply a dark age, or even a lack of technology. Ballos himself probably contributed to the advancement of the culture, and this would have survived in one way or another because obviously he didn't kill everybody. It also says Jenka's a witch, but I don't think it explicitly states anywhere that this extends her life-span... she could be like 90 for all we know :/
Then it is the bubble hibernation thing. I never really thought that the same rules that applied to both Ballos and Jenka ever really applied to Misery, but I threw the idea out there anyway.

Even if it wasn't over a thousand years, you still get the impression that Jenka and Ballos shared unnaturally long lives.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I always had the idea that the island was created by some ancient technology or long-dead civilization, or some such, and they also created the teleporters, cat robots, egg coridor and such.

So you get a time-line something like this (note that this is the back story I understood/ made up and doesn't have too much backup, probably):
- Floating island created by someone (ancient high-tech race)
- Mimigas arrive (as a shot in the dark they were bioengineered, but that has no basis in fact whatsoever)
- creators depart/ die out leaving the technology in place but it starts to run down.
- crown created at some point, jenka arrives somehow (I can't quite remember what was going on here, it's been a while since I brushed up on the story)
- war: robots vs mimigas (I don't remember quite who was attacking who here)
- research expedition arrives
- plot of cave story happens

That's more or less how I see it, a bit unsure how the whole Ballos thing fits in right now, I'll rethink it after I've beaten the sacred grounds again.

Jan 28, 2009 at 4:47 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
time.X.300 said:
The curse of the crown, If you see the best ending,
you will see a grownup misery in the credits...
was that a spoiler?
----
my question is.. how the heck the island stop falling if you kill ballos????

I think she was standing up for once. Usually she's sitting or has her legs crossed.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Agent of the System
She just seemed like she was standing up, not older

Jan 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
wow... she's tall and i thought she get older once the curse has lift off

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:46 AM
Agent of the System
It looks more like she is watching Quote, Curly and Balrog, fly away. Cause she was looking out towards the open sky. That or maybe she was about to commit suicide.....

The Joker

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:59 PM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Why does Booster die if you talk to him in the Labrynth, but end up unscathed if you ignore him?
Answered several times, but I figured I'd have a go at it.

When Booster fell, he should have received some pretty nasty injuries. Probably most of his energy had been drained already and he was weak at the time.

If you talk to him, he uses the last of his energy to give the Booster to you and die.

If you don't talk to him, he'll eventually regain his strength, and with that, unlocking Spiral Power, thus having his glasses fix themselves.

Which was also how he got so fit and able to give you an improved Booster which he had worked on whilst in the short time frame of teleportation.

Speaking of which, is the teleportation actually as fast as we see it happen in-game or is it like very long but we see a hastened version.

I'd imagine deconstructing you and reconstructing you elsewhere would take quite long.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Well it's reasonable that if Quote ignores Booster, he'll stay alive longer maybe because of his obligation with Sue... He probably is able to fix the teleporter which sends him to the Sand Zone before dying...

Upon which maybe Jenka's dog finds Booster bringing him to Jenka which gives him a life pot, which repairs not only broken bones but glasses and robots! So, after a short meeting with Jenka, Booster heads back to Arthur's house in which he meets Quote. [When does me make the Booster upgrade? uhh... Maybe in his time at Jenka's house? or maybe before he goes to Arthur's house? Who knows...

[In best ending credits, Booster visits Jenka seemingly random! That's how I came up with this conclusion... Alternatively Booster already knew about Jenka or had met her in the past.. Who knows :D]

Feb 5, 2009 at 11:46 PM
Agent of the System
X-Calibar said:
Well it's reasonable that if Quote ignores Booster, he'll stay alive longer maybe because of his obligation with Sue... He probably is able to fix the teleporter which sends him to the Sand Zone before dying...

Upon which maybe Jenka's dog finds Booster bringing him to Jenka which gives him a life pot, which repairs not only broken bones but glasses and robots! So, after a short meeting with Jenka, Booster heads back to Arthur's house in which he meets Quote. [When does me make the Booster upgrade? uhh... Maybe in his time at Jenka's house? or maybe before he goes to Arthur's house? Who knows...

[In best ending credits, Booster visits Jenka seemingly random! That's how I came up with this conclusion... Alternatively Booster already knew about Jenka or had met her in the past.. Who knows :D]
Or Booster helped make the island and is actually a very close friend of Jenkas', and then upon return to earth helped build Quote and curly and thus was able to recognize Quote. But Like I said in the other thread, maybe Jenka and Ballos mother built the island.

The Joker

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:26 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Oh, another possible explanation why ignoring Booster may allow him to live: if you ignore him, he has the Booster, which means he can safely jet down to the lower level of the cave. Presumably not everyone can survive falls as well as Quote!