[MA Winner] <(Schism)> - Demo 1.0

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:29 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Just as I say "Yo, Xaser," you appear out of nowhere after a long absence. I'm awesome.

In any case, yeah, the graphics of this mod never cease to amaze me. This combined with its intricate, original storyline make it no wonder why it's my favorite mod long after I first played it.

Oct 14, 2008 at 7:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Xaser said:
I would personally recommend that you change the owl blocks to normal chiseled rock (brown) or to carved wood (I would recommend this one) instead of the concrete blocks. They don't fit in well with the rest of the tileset at the moment. Also the root of the spike plant (the part that isn't bright red) should be a little darker to blend with the ground more. Also it is hard to differentiate between background and foreground, so your background should lose a bit of contrast.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
Well, hello.

I've appeared, so I figure I owe a progress post, don't I?

First off, I had a bit of a fun time going back through the thread and reading everyone's replies. Not to ego trip at all -- the comments add inspiration! Thanks, guys!

Secondly,

@Andwhy: Good suggestion with the carved wood. Somehow I forgot about replacing the blocks when I made the map. I was planning on it, then didn't. Will change shortly.

And now, the big news. Schism is back from the shifting sands of time!

As of late, what have I been working on? I've mentioned it before, but the current release of the demo isn't even the correct final demo version (naturally, seeing how there's still lots of default Doukutsu media present). I'm working on remedy-ing that right now so I can post the final update of the demo. It will still consist of the same maps and same length, but contains more content anyway so hopefully all you guys asking for more won't be too terribly disappointed. Not to worry -- I'm still working on the full version. Schism City is beating the hell out of New Fork so far. ;P

Progress on the 1.0 Demo: All sprites 'cept the Archives enemies are finished, most of the music is completely replaced (only three tracks to go), and a few bugs need some fixing. Otherwise, it's pretty solid now and is really starting to resemble its own game... despite still being a mod, you terminology perfectionists. ;P

I repeat: this isn't the full version I'm talking about. Still working on that. ;P

I'd hate to leave you guys with all talk and nothing to show, so here's a quick sample of the new music:
Tranquil.org

I would respectfully like to ask that nobody steal this one for their own mod -- at least not until mine is released. I worked quite hard on it and stealing isn't fun. But have a listen and enjoy yourselves!

Good to see there's still interest in the mod even though I haven't been too keen on updating. See you all soon. And remember -- Schism will never die! It only gets lost in time now and then. ;P

Happy late new year!

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:04 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
You know, there's no rule saying you have to release the entire game in two installments. It might be better to find a few more places it can be divided and release it in slightly smaller pieces--the vast, vast majority of mods on this forum are people who eventually got tired of it and left the community, never finishing the mod and probably leaving half a level or so of content on their computer never to be seen by others' eyes. Plus, you never know when your computer might break down, or you might simply get drowned in work and forget about it. It'd be a huge shame if something happened to prevent anyone from seeing what's been finished so far.

But you've probably already heard this, right? Well, I'll say this then: Your mod so far is extremely awesome. Don't get tired of that, do you?

Jan 9, 2009 at 5:44 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
More content means more witty dialogue from the mind of this "Xaser" fellow!

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Glad to see you're still working on this! This has to be the second best mod on the forum (the first being Jenka's Nightmare), so I do hope you see this through to the end.

I await your next release with bated breath...

Jan 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM
Hoxtilicious
This mod is brilliant.
Can't wait to see more :)
Feel free to contact me if you need some help with assembly/other things.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM
"Huzzah!"
@Brick: Considering the sheer amount of modding volume I have left to fill, I just may do that. But I hate giving spoilers and unfinished products -- I nearly decided against having any demo at all at first. Good thing I changed my mind. ;P

So maybe, maybe not.

@Garde: I just may have to take you up on that offer. In particular, do you know anything about changing the game's sounds?

As for now, my to-do list for the new demo is wearing thin. I have two measly songs to finish and a couple tiny issues, but that's it. The demo re-release is coming soon.

Quick question: are you all satisfied with the current background for Epoch Manor? I've been thinking about improving it but I don't have any ideas. Is it too plain to anyone else but me?

Also, I'm having some trouble fixing the Library Soldier (Gaudi) fight. I've tried to use the method Orfvar posted on page 18, but the enemies don't execute any script upon death. Do Gaudis ever execute any death events even with the 0200 flag set? That's the only explanation I can think of.

I may just have to leave it how it is. How dreary. :(

Stay tuned, though.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Although their email is currently down, I've an email to send to Nicalis to query their downloadable content decision. Perhaps this mod could be one of the first to be sent in?~

Keep in mind I still need to send the email; but I'll be sure to do so as soon as their email is fixed. Message details include asking for an example of DC, and if mods can be submitted to Nicalis to be used as DC. (I'd assume they have a method of transfering the game data easily.)

Also, gar! I need Zesh to hurry the hell up with my mod's artwork (sprites and tilesets included) so we can hit a single-digit percent. (Maybe I'll put up some blog for it, somewheres...)

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Downloadable content for Cave Story is never going to happen and neither should it. This stuff we do is either fanworks or using the engine as a base (like in this mod). Pixel has never released a level editor so most of this stuff is barely even legal, and will be even less so now that Nintendo has their paws on it if history is anything to go by.

Jan 15, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nicalis Blog said:
We’re still working away at Cave Story trying to make sure it’s faithful to Amaya-san’s original while adding a few things for the console release. One of these new additions, I’m happy to announce is Download Content. I think we received enough e-mails demanding it that we’re doing our best to include some new surprises in the WiiWare release. You’re going to have to wait for more info on that.

No downloadable content ever? zed oh em gee. I must be blind.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:44 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Because people can't just be happy with what they've got and need to see tons of fancy extras and add-ons before they're satisfied?
And DLC doesn't automatically mean that fan-made mods are suddenly going to be up for download. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific about what I meant in regards to what would be available rather than just calling it all downloadable content. But nobody should expect random mods just showing up unless a bona-fide Level Editor is released. Otherwise, each new mod put up for download would most likely have to be re-coded to suit the Wii's hardware the same as CS itself, which is a ridiculous thing to ask of anyone. Not to mention there really haven't been any mods yet that are polished enough- or hell, even complete- that would be worth putting up as DLC. It ain't happening, I tell ya.

Jan 15, 2009 at 3:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
The boss Rush mod's both polilshed and complete, but it's pretty small.

Anyways, an interesting thought occurred to me: It seems somewhat likely that after they unveil the bonus content, some modders/hackers will feel the need to create and add the same things to their own mods. Wonder if THAT would piss off Nintendo...

edit: PS: I get the feeling that if they've actually watched or glanced at the modding scene enough to have noticed it, they will petition Pixel to create a Boss Rush mode, probably unlockable or as DLC. This will almost certainly make Pixel very upset and make him reconsider one or both of the choices of letting other people expand on his masterpiece.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Could we get back on topic? I keep getting excited when I see a new post in this thread thinking Xaser has posted an update.

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:36 PM
"Huzzah!"
Indeed. As much as I like the idea of Schism as a DL mod (would be quite an honor), I don't see it happening. Hardware, Pixel's intentions, Nintendo's stubbornness... the list goes on. At least I can dream. ;P

I'm wondering if anyone knows any more about the Gaudi death script issue. Should I start a new thread?

Jan 15, 2009 at 9:38 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I also remember having an issue with the Gaudi death script, and I tried many things, none of which worked. A new thread would probably be a good idea.

Jan 16, 2009 at 3:14 PM
"Huzzah!"
wedge of cheese said:
I also remember having an issue with the Gaudi death script, and I tried many things, none of which worked. A new thread would probably be a good idea.

I may just have to keep it the way it is. If I'm not the only one having this problem, I'm convinced that Gaudis simply don't execute death scripts at all. It probably has to do something with the fact that their "dying" animation is done by spawning a completely new actor. Somehow the game fails to realize the original has actually died, just "transformed" into a different sprite. Icky.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, Xaze. :p

I've played up to the fight with Escher, and I'm really impressed so far. The story is intricate and interesting, the dialogue is witty, and the music top-notch. :> I do recognize a few tracks, too... :rolleyes:

However, the only reason that I haven't played any further than I have already is because none of the save points beyond the first one you find as Kate actually work. :( Mighty frustrating. I know I can skip cutscenes an' all, but there is still a fair portion of the game to get through before you reach the battle with Escher. A lot of that portion I find very difficult too, due to the large number of creatures I'm stuck in the same room with and the fair amount of backtracking required to get through it, especially annoying when I can't save. :/

But I'm otherwise impressed by what I see, very much so. ;) Keep it up!

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:41 PM
"Huzzah!"
Well, hello there Jimmy! Welcome to the forums -- I see you read the textfile, didn't you? ;P

Thanks for the comments, esp. the music. I thought you might get a kick out of it. ;P

The save points don't work, though? I'll have to investigate this. What exactly happens when you attempt to save? I think the only point that makes an exception is the one in the Library Network (it prevents you from saving during the soldier ambush) -- but even then it *should* reset itself to allow saving afterward. I had no trouble with it the last time I ran through the game and I haven't messed with the Archives maps since, so this is a little bizarre.

Can you confirm which ones, between Waystation One and Library Network, work and which ones don't? I could've missed a flag somewhere -- it tends to happen a lot.

There's actually not much left after the Escher battle, so just wing it and plow forward. Though you may want to search around a bit and see if you can find the big secret... ;P

(For those out there in the unknown, Jimmy's a betatester and has a very recent "release candidate" build. The release is that close. ;P )

[EDIT] 222nd post. :(