Jenka's Nightmare Revived - Final release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2012 at 4:49 PM
A Reluctant Balrog's Waifu
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
I am horribly lost in this mod and I have zero sense of where I'm supposed to go/what I'm supposed to be doing, but:

I loved what I've seen until now. Apart from the severely ramped-up difficulty, it really feels like an authentic sequel to Cave Story so far.

Gosh the maps are huge and nonlinear.

I guess your guide is needed afterall.

So... When you meet Misery for the first time, is Sue supposed to not speak to you? She had no dialog for me there.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
darnt cant beat the room with teh fire thingy its been 3 days and i still cant beat it -,-

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:07 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Glitches, glitches. I don't know if I've already removed Sue but I'll add it to the fix list.

Keep at it, Pro. It's hard but you only have to do it once.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:13 AM
YESSS DID IT! *giant pignon killed me*..... NUUUUUUH *RAGE*

Aug 24, 2012 at 5:41 AM
I feel like I've just been rickrolled.

The good news is that I really enjoyed the game (even if it was nail-bitingly frustrating at times, but a good challenge is always good) and apart from the Sue giving me the cold shoulder thing, I didn't encounter any glitches.

This mod is like riding a really, really fun and elaborate rollercoaster that sometimes borders on "too much", and then you start to make the climb for a huge drop at the finish, and once you're at the top and ready for the climax of the ride, there's actually no more track and you plummet to your death. The afterlife is the developer's room for all eternity.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Professional Whatever
I realize this.

My top-notch team of volunteer debuggers and I are working to make a much better JNR. We're removing all the glitches and we've completely remade the best ending, among other things. It might still be a while before it's released, but I promise it will be much better.

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM
I realize this.

My top-notch team of volunteer debuggers and I are working to make a much better JNR. We're removing all the glitches and we've completely remade the best ending, among other things. It might still be a while before it's released, but I promise it will be much better.

Sweet! Really looking forward to it, it'll totally be worth replaying when that time comes.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:22 AM
Finished it ...... How Ya GliTCh THe Game In NEW GAME+?

DANGIT CAPS STUCK :critter: (MY KEYBOARD IS 10 YEARS OLD)

Sweet! Really looking forward to it, it'll totally be worth replaying when that time comes.

I DONT THINK THE ROOM WITH TEH FIRE THINGY WORTH REPLAYING

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:57 AM
Absentee Modder
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
This is an amazing mod. You may not have laid the foundations, but you have brought it from its untimely grave. That makes you a great necro-god, at least in my eyes.

I just finally got around to playing through it.

Of course, being me, I am inclined to nitpick things. So here's my list of bugs/complaints. Spoilered because SPOILERS!

-The drop from Grasstown sends you to Genesis: Sky the first time, but whenever you take that passage again, you just fall to your death. That's misleading.

-The teleporter from the Outer Wall doesn't send you to the teleporter in Mimiga Village, it just drops you in the middle of the place. Intentional?

-After the long, painful sequence to get the second puzzle piece, it's terrible to put a door to a trap right in front of the player. "Sadism" and "good game design" are not synonyms.

-The red color scheme in the Tower/Oblivion area hurts the eyes, and looks a bit unprofessional. Maybe a black/grey color scheme would work better?
-The Gaudskateer fight... It's tough, and that's good. I was stuck on it for a while, but it stayed fun somehow. But it's impossible to predict when their blades are going to bounce off the ceiling. I suggest making their projectiles non-bouncy, so that the fight isn't luck-based.

-If there was supposed to be a cutscene when Curly and the others got kidnapped, I didn't see it.

-Backtracking all the way through the Sand Zone to talk to Misery, then having her just have one line of text saying to go to the outer wall... It feels like a massive waste of time. Please either make a shortcut to Misery for that part, or make her contribution something more worth the walk. Or both.

-The walkthrough says you need Booster 2.0 to get the second puzzle piece. After wasting a bunch of lives trying to find a sadistic route up the chimney (getting hit by small spikes so I could safely jump off the big ones!) I eventually figured out that it's completely impossible without the Machine Gun. The Booster 2.0 is *not* enough. But I think that's just a problem with the guide, because I remember now, Professor Booster says ingame that the jetpack isn't enough.

-It doesn't seem very obvious to go to Misery's place to get to Genesis. All that King says is to go through Genesis: Spirit, which either means the place you're already at, or the place past the Mimiga Graveyard. As far as I can tell, neither of those places has a passage to Genesis. I was left pretty confused about where to go; I only found out from random comments in this thread that I needed to go to Misery's house.

-Also, going to Misery's house again is more backtracking through the Sand Zone.

-It's possible, using the Booster 2.0 to go through Genesis: Sky backwards, after entering through Oblivion: Erosion. But there's no point in going back. Maybe make that backwards trip a second way to get the Explosive? Logically, it's just a little ways upward from there.

-After accessing the terminal in the Genesis area that allows you to return to the beginning, it doesn't reload the map, so the forcefield stuff doesn't trigger again. You can walk straight up to the glittery treasure chest. But you can't open it.

-A lot of maps, especially Mimiga Village, if memory serves, look kind of messy. Using edge-tiles that don't quite match up with the blocks next to them, etc. It's not a huge deal, but a mod of this quality deserves attention to details like those. I think it could be cleaned up entirely in a few hours, tops.

But don't get me wrong. The mod's amazing.

Aug 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM
-The drop from Grasstown sends you to Genesis: Sky the first time, but whenever you take that passage again, you just fall to your death. That's misleading.

-The teleporter from the Outer Wall doesn't send you to the teleporter in Mimiga Village, it just drops you in the middle of the place. Intentional?

-After the long, painful sequence to get the second puzzle piece, it's terrible to put a door to a trap right in front of the player. "Sadism" and "good game design" are not synonyms.

-The red color scheme in the Tower/Oblivion area hurts the eyes, and looks a bit unproffesional. Maybe a black/grey color scheme would work better?

-The Gaudskateer fight... It's tough, and that's good. I was stuck on it for a while, but it stayed fun somehow. But it's impossible to predict when their blades are going to bounce off the ceiling. I suggest making their projectiles non-bouncy, so that the fight isn't luck-based.

-If there was supposed to be a cutscene when Curly and the others got kidnapped, I didn't see it.

-Backtracking all the way through the Sand Zone to talk to Misery, then having her just have one line of text saying to go to the outer wall... It feels like a massive waste of time. Please either make a shortcut to Misery for that part, or make her contribution something more worth the walk. Or both.

-The walkthrough says you need Booster 2.0 to get the second puzzle piece. After wasting a bunch of lives trying to find a sadistic route up the chimney (getting hit by small spikes so I could safely jump off the big ones!) I eventually figured out that it's completely impossible without the Machine Gun. The Booster 2.0 is *not* enough.

-It doesn't seem very obvious to go to Misery's place to get to Genesis. All that King says is to go through Genesis: Spirit, which either means the place you're already at, or the place past the Mimiga Graveyard. As far as I can tell, neither of those places has a passage to Genesis. I was left pretty confused about where to go; I only found out from random comments in this thread that I needed to go to Misery's house.

ADDITIONAL NOTE: After clearing Sand Zone and the Labyrinth, what you're supposed to do becomes quite unclear. The walkthrough is also insufficient. I had to watch LPs to figure out what to do at some points.

-Also, going to Misery's house again is more backtracking through the Sand Zone.

-It's possible, using the Booster 2.0 to go through Genesis: Sky backwards, after entering through Oblivion: Erosion. But there's no point in going back. Maybe make that backwards trip a second way to get the Explosive? Logically, it's just a little ways upward from there.

-After accessing the terminal in the Genesis area that allows you to return to the beginning, it doesn't reload the map, so the forcefield stuff doesn't trigger again. You can walk straight up to the glittery treasure chest. But you can't open it.

-A lot of maps, especially Mimiga Village, if memory serves, look kind of messy. Using edge-tiles that don't quite match up with the blocks next to them, etc. It's not a huge deal, but a mod of this quality deserves attention to details like those. I think it could be cleaned up entirely in a few hours, tops.

Bolded those I agree with.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
well the first 3 links broke T_T and the mirror is working, so im good for now lol. So have a Critter or 2 :mrgreen: :critter: :critter:

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:02 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played the original JN on wine few years back. Now, I started playing this revived version just a moment ago (again on wine).

... There weren't any installation instructions in the Mirror.zip version, so when the game seemed to work simply by launching Doukutsu.exe I guessed it would work like that.
Is it just me (might very well be something to do with wine) or does anyone else have this weird issue that sometimes the shoot button changes into weapon switch (to right) button AND the old weapon switch-to-right button stays as it is, meaning I completely lose any control to shoot? Just asking...

NEVERMIND. It took me this post to understand and remember that wow yeah. Snake has limited ammo here... Anyway, thanks for reviving this. I'm gonna play it again and be a happy camper. :3

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Professional Whatever
Well it's good you figured it out :3
Thanks for playing!

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
@BiQ: I played the Mac ported version of JNR (an enjoyable experience, MagicDoors!), but I had some problems with the port, which I detailed in a post on Andwhy's porting thread. Oddly enough, I managed to make it through the game once while I was going for one of the worse endings, but then I've gotten stuck in Gen:Light due to glitches. I think these glitches might have more to do with the port than they do with the mod itself, though. Sadly, though, I never got any kind of reply from Andwhy. He is a busy guy, though, so it's understandable. Anyway, I tried running the normal JNR .exe on Wineskin, but the screen resolution was halved—did you encounter any issues like that? If so, how do you work around them? I've been sad that I haven't been able to go back to get the other endings.

Sep 11, 2012 at 3:03 AM
Professional Whatever
Hmm no, I've never experienced that. It may be a problem with the port, because it's never happened to me or anybody else as far as I know.
The endings in the currently released version are crap anyway. Maybe I can bug Andy to re-port JNR once we're all done testing and bug exterminating.

On another note I posted a way through the fire maze thing in Genesis: Spirit on the OP.

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:12 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
@Mosaic: Well, I played on Ubuntu Linux (12.10) + Wine this time, and I didn't get to that point yet. I don't recall that kind of problems when I played the original JN with fluxbuntu. Also I tried the ported version on mac a little bit, things seem to work, but decided to not play that cause then I suppose I'd have incompatible saves etc. and I'm going to make a switch to Linux in near future in any case.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Okay~! I've played Jenka's Nightmare a few times over the years but, never could get to the end [unfinished?]
Now finally, thanks to your work I was able to play to the end(?), and it was a pretty enjoyable adventure.

The story was... here and there.
Sometimes it seemed really good; sometimes nobody had anything to say. Not many cutscenes though... but there were some awesome effects!
The gameplay was mostly standard, but excellent. There was a huge amount to explore; and it was like continuing Cave Story.

Some areas like Genesis : Light was just 5 star amazing looking [though on the flipside, it was just a random area, which felt out of place?]

Anyway here is a little list I came up with earlier :

Pros :
The large, well made maps. Plenty to explore, plenty to do. So gameplay is rated highly!
The story is pretty fun, when it's there. Genesis and Oblivion are curious concepts, and that's the charm I found with the original CS... Being curious about a curious world. JN continued that.
The bosses early on were interesting twists on the original bosses. The four Gaudiskteers, even the White Critter sprite... Monster X driving you around...
The lack of weapons later was interesting as well... made me adapt a little.
Balrog. Curly. King. Sue.
Genesis : Light, was wonderful looking. They light up as you go... that was really awesome.
Genesis : under the island area was cool. The appearing blocks... quite fun.
Oblivion : Chimney is pretty fun, though frustrating. Just wish I could see what's above me while machinegun flying...
Genesis : Water areas, pretty cool.
Labyrinth was pretty nice, though I sure hate instant deaths xD I kept getting squished; I'm too impatient.

Neutral :
Music, is CS with a few unused songs.

Cons :
The story kinda got shaky the further you got into it... It had great dialogue here and there, but by the end I had no idea what I was doing. (I just knew kill Genesis and Oblivion and find Jenka!)
Speaking of which... Umm... I never saw Jenka the entire game. When the game is titled Jenka's Nightmare... I would have expected to see Jenka at least once lol >.< Ah wait, make that I saw her in the first second of the game.
Although at LAST there is ... an ending? I don't know what to make of it. Basically :

I killed Genesis : Core. Then went to Oblivion and killed Curly possessed ;_;, and then killed Oblivion... Then, I'm told I didn't kill Genesis? So I read on the forums that I had to go see Misery...
I follow fake Misery until I find Ultima, and I finally beat whatever that he was... and then Misery makes it to Jenka? and Sue is um... lost her pendant... but she's human! And uh... Curly is allowed to leave, but apparently she can't cause I killed Ultima? [I thought Ultima wasn't Genesis?? If it was Genesis... then uh?!$5./.3? What was Genesis : Core? Illusion thing.... whatttttttttttttttttttttt?!#$%%%55555555555555
Then it went to developers hideout immediately :p confused.

My take on the ending, Curly will someday find a way ... back. Quote will probably be okay. Jenka will probably be okay. Balrog will finally crash out of the water area he got stuck in. Horray! Though hopefully the island isn't too hollow and won't crumble... OR maybe Jenka will wake up with a puppy on top of her licking her face to wake up, and she'll say; "Oh dear... what dreams!"

Cons cont :
It's possible for the user to break the flow of the game, like when I skipped the Monster X battle by jumping over the death spikes... (The flying critter that shoots a bullet, if you have it double shoot into the opening in the Monster Barrier back titles [there's a break in the middle], you can use that invinciblity time to jump safely over the instant death spikes, and head to the Revolutionarium.
(I kinda like secrets like that... if they don't break the game. Like you used to be able to get to that place where king gives you the blade in Genesis under the island [the place before sandzone]. And riding a critter in the beginning of the original JN let you go reverse to the Labyrinth and/or get the health upgrade ahead of time.)

The last few boss battles were endurance battles, somewhat easy bosses with highhh health. It's not bad... but it was pretty repetitive. Though fighting Ultima was pretty epic :D

Overall. Fun mod for gameplay. The story is curious and interesting; though it lacks strong cutscenes to compell you onward.

Your changes flowed well with the original~ Nice work MagicDoors!

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:34 AM
Professional Whatever
Thanks a lot!
Just to tell you, you should wait for like a week. A new huge update has been going on for quite some time, and we are almost finished. The ending is completely revamped, the bosses balanced, the weapons balanced, new item placement, new plot devices, new dialogue, new bug fixes herp derp blah blah basically play it again l8tr.
I'm glad that people are still enjoying this mod, though! Glad you liked it!

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:30 PM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I can't download it :( It says it was deleted :(

Status
Not open for further replies.