Is it just me, or did they ruin it?

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:13 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Hello everyone.
I would like to share my thoughts with you, on the Wii version of CaveStory.
I was expecting an exact duplicate of the PC version we all know and love, but with smoother, optional music and graphics, more difficulty levels and save slots. Instead I got the following:

- Quote, the loveable little robot, is brown. WHY?! It's just about excusable for Curly to have hair, but skin tone?! Srsly. There's just no reason for it. Evidently it was a last minute decision, as all the preview footage I've seen has a white Quote. And don't go thinking it's only on them fancy modernish graphics, he is brown on the supposed 'originals' as well.
- The translation is terrible. Not just different to the Aeon Genesis version, it contains quite a few very literal translations which just don't fit. Let's take Balrog's first entrance for example.

"Huzzah!" - A little ye olde, but is pretty expressive and slightly humorous, perfect.
Replaced with: "Oh yeeaah!" - WTF?! That's just comical in it's stupidity.
"I've got the nose of a bloodhound!" - Everyone knows that a bloodhound has a very good smell.
"I've got the nose of a very clever Harrier" - A Harrier, in this sense, is an obscure cross breed of a bloodhound and beagle. Even my Dad didn't recognise it. Misery has to say that Balrog has "the brain of a dog" to make sure people get the now very odd joke.
"King gets his ears in a tangle" - Aww, rabbit creature turn of phrase!
"King gets bent out of shape" - No one says that. Ever.

And probably many more. I didn't get too far in the...
- Demo. That's right, they had the cheek to release a demo of a port of a freeware game.
- The music is different. Not just smoother, but different. It's hard to describe, and some might like it, but I certainly don't.
- The new graphics are also different, not just smoother, like with King, but different, like Toroko. What's more, the old graphics look somehow worse on the Wii than the PC.
- Mr Pixel is mentioned twice. Once in the intro and once in the credits. Everything else is Nicalis. One spend five years of his life perfecting a game he knew would provide no immediate return, the other ported it. You do the math.

I know I'm nit picking, and no disrespect to Pixel at all, but I wouldn't want to waste £10 on this, especially when nearly all, if not all of it would go to Nintendo and Nicalis. I just wonder that if he needed cash, why not put up a Paypal donate button on his website? I'd certainly donate, and doubtless thousands of others would also.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:40 PM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
hammil said:
- Quote, the loveable little robot, is brown. WHY?! It's just about excusable for Curly to have hair, but skin tone?! Srsly. There's just no reason for it. Evidently it was a last minute decision, as all the preview footage I've seen has a white Quote. And don't go thinking it's only on them fancy modernish graphics, he is brown on the supposed 'originals' as well.

-_- It's a seasonal thing they put in. The rest of the stuff I kinda agree with, though I like the new music.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:43 PM
Ollie said:
-_- It's a seasonal thing they put in. The rest of the stuff I kinda agree with, though I like the new music.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh, I see, heh.

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I agree to you completely. And the fact that Pixel only gets mentioned twice is because Publishers get their names stamped everywhere on a game. It's a sad truth, but they also get like 75% of the income.

Sometimes I wonder who the hell translated it. I mean just look at it, a russian or an eastern european could do a better job translating it. How the hell can you fuck up that hard?

The mimigas aren'y your enemies

Jan 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I like how the game had typos.

And yes Hammil, I'm sure that almost everyone in the forums agrees with you on this point.

When Cave Stowii was released in the US, the forums had a field day, many people had "their ears in a tangle," to say the least.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:08 PM
Hey.
I honestly didn't think it was that bad, just a little harder to control.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Maybe it`d be more effective to donate the price of the Wii version to Pixel instead of buying the game. According to my mind Pixel should make a donate button on his site. Maybe he had been earned the amount of money he got from the Wii so far, or more. The Will has good and original things. The good things are not original, and the original things are not good. But I`m supporting the Wii since it is CS after all and a chance to thank Pixel. Maybe he even designed some new sprites as their commercial said.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:16 PM
cultr1 said:
I like how the game had typos.

And yes Hammil, I'm sure that almost everyone in the forums agrees with you on this point.

When Cave Stowii was released in the US, the forums had a field day, many people had "their ears in a tangle," to say the least.

Well, nice to see I'm not alone!
Yeah, I figured some people said similar stuff, but I didn't want to be a necromancer.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:16 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
p116309-0-ruinedforever2.jpg

But really it's all Nicalis' fault. I hear once a month they go to an orphanage, sign all the adoption papers for a kid, and then drive off without them.

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
That made me laugh so hard :p

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Also, I heard the Hard Mode basically consists of an enforced 3 HP run and the Easy Mode halves all damage taken. Is this true?

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM
Hey.
magic9mushroom said:
Also, I heard the Hard Mode basically consists of an enforced 3 HP run and the Easy Mode halves all damage taken. Is this true?

The 3hp part is. Easy, I've no idea, as I'm too good at Cave Story to play it on easy. It also gives you a different look.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Yep.

The care and thought that went into this is astounding, no?

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:29 AM
"..."
Noxid said:
Yep.

The care and thought that went into this is astounding, no?

Indeed.

I mean, when I first heard about it, I thought they would actually make the game harder. I was wondering if Ballos had 12 forms or something. :p

But nooooooo.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:44 AM
Is there an extra level?

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If you're talking about hell, yes. If not, no.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:31 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
I was actually really happy with the demo. It made me discover this awesome game. Though, I still don't understand why it wasn't free on Wii Ware :l

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:51 PM
"..."
Revolution said:
I was actually really happy with the demo. It made me discover this awesome game. Though, I still don't understand why it wasn't free on Wii Ware :l

Because good people don't end up running companies.

Jan 4, 2011 at 5:43 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Jan 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM
"..."