Hey, a Person who Absolutely Hates, Hates, HATES CS

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:37 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
This guy is more of a professional troll.

If you go back the the review directory (which I suggest you don't, to avoid giving him more hits), you'll see that shmups and many games without plotlines usually get 5 star ratings. (i'm not saying shmups are bad, but that he judges on gameplay only, which is pretty clear in his Doukutsu review)

Yet, some of the better games (in my opinion) have horrible ratings, such as No More Heroes.

Don't listen to him (and whoever else helps run his site). His anger and rage only stresses out his own body and makes him live a shorter life. That's all I can say.

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:07 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@ IAmSerge: This is an example of why I think unofficial review sites are trash.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:23 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I think you should keep the link up. It's good to be aware of both sides of an argument, even if you completely disagree with one of them (as most of us, it would seem, myself included, do).

His food analogy, comparing CS to McDonalds and games he likes to French cuisines or whatever, is total crap. Cave Story has much more in common with the French cuisines (a work of art that was carefully and meticulously crafted simply for the purpose of making a great game). I would compare McDonalds to the vast multitudes of Flash games that are mass produced just for the purpose of increasing web site traffic (i.e. making money) and which are kinda entertaining for a few minutes if you're bored. THAT'S a much more accurate analogy.

And did he say that he didn't actually play the whole game all the way through? 'Cause seriously, that's just a major fail if he did.

Anyway, despite his obvious lack of sense, I wouldn't let it bother us. I mean we all know he's WRONG and he's not gonna convince any of us otherwise, and I doubt he could ever get much of a following with his ideas.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:20 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
He got lost in sand zone, gave up, ranted that the game was too easy and called it a day.
Anyway, off topic, but... Is there a flash game that IS deep and entertaining?

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM
"Huzzah!"
Oh, THAT civilization?

I've definitley heard of it.

Just didn't realize that it was the same thing as "Sid Meiser's Civilization" (hey man, They COULD have been different, i didn't know)

the occasional flash game is deep and entertaining. Check out the Super Flash Bros if you're interested, they have this great detective game.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
On the subject of review sites, the only time they are of any merit is when they are capable of both making in entertaining while pointing out the games flaws. Failure to do so is...well, at that point my mind has already forgotten about it.

Oh and I read that for about a paragraph, saw the screens in Japanese, and laughed my butt off. Read so more and when I got the bit of when he refers to the literal Castlevania and Metroid I essentially did this "...Wow, not only is currently ranting with bad analogies, he is also attempting to bring down two of the most popular franchises of all time. Yeah, he must be either the equivalent of a Xbox "hardcore only" fan or a "Wow player". How truly sad." (NO offense to wow players, but all offense to the "hardcore only" players. And yes, I've played Halo. Good game, but I've played better. Best thing it had was multiplayer and Modern Warfare 2 essentially replaced that.)

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
100killer9 said:
He got lost in sand zone, gave up, ranted that the game was too easy and called it a day.
Anyway, off topic, but... Is there a flash game that IS deep and entertaining?
Definitions of depth and entertainment may vary, but I personally find eg. Today I Die and The Majesty of Colors to be both.

Ontopic: Oh my gawd! Someone has a different opinion and is voicing it publically! Whatever shall I do!?

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Oh noes bad review!:(
I guess the whole thing's true, because everyone knows you have to be both correct and smart to put things on the Internet (says the teenager posting on a forum).

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM
Been here way too long...
Note: I am assuming those screencaps aren't his, and he played the game in English. One of the pictures is of Hell, which he said he never got to. I'm not sure why he felt it was important to stick a whole bunch of screenshots in the artice, as he thinks art is for fags.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:41 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Off with his head!

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:57 AM
X-Calibar Online
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Ah so he didn't even finish Sandzone... It was after Sandzone that I fell for Cave Story :( [but the dialogue makes the difference...]

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM
No, I assume he finished sand zone, I'm just poking fun at him.
There's only a lot of wandering in the beginning, so he must not have gotten far.

May 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*Reads a bit.*

Ooh, screencaps. In Japanese. Yeesh.

*Reads a bit more.*

dialogue scenes are as frequent as they are tedious and annoying.

pfff HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHOHOHOHOHAHAHAHA

*laughing scene continues for about a minute*

May 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Not everything there was so, aggressive:

Daisuke Amaya's Doukutsu Monogatari is then entirely free of decadent "artistic" pretensions, purporting to be nothing other than what it actually is: a 2D action side-scroller with a heavy emphasis on exploration, in the style of the Metroid or modern Dracula games. And, at least as far as the basics are concerned, it stands up next to them admirably, with perfect controls, imbued with just the right touch of inertia, suitably exciting movement speed and jumping properties, and even a brilliant weapon-switching/power-up system which, seeing as all the previously mentioned qualities are standard fare among Japanese 2D action games, is in fact its one and only outstanding aspect (each of your weapons can be separately powered up by collecting crystals dropped by dead enemies, but powers down whenever you are hit while having it equipped. This adds quite a bit of tension and strategy to the proceedings as, during moments of hectic action, half your brain is working on controlling the protagonist while the other half is figuring out optimal weapon leveling strategies).

May 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM
Been here way too long...
Modern Dracula games? And playing the Japanese version when he doesn't know Japanese; of a game that has not only one but TWO english translations???

This guy obviously lacks some knowledge about games and search engines.