Hell's Narrator

Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
As much as I hate the concept of a crusade I'll have to agree with blackcrusader. It sounds reasonable, even though I always saw Misery as The Doctor's, slave.

Aug 18, 2010 at 1:11 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Thanks WR! I was thinking of putting that idea in my fan fic, but it would have messed with the flow of the story.

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
guys you're all wrong its a message recorded by the chin fish but left to The Door and then it shattered when you broke the door and drifted into the ether only to magically and by impossible coincidence reconstitute itself as an audible voice to quote at exactly the right times.........

no seriously though I love that part of the game and the way that story's told, and it's neat to think about who it may be.

I think the best explanation, by far, is Ballos' dog. When you get to him he speaks like the voice and tells you the end of the story. Since he's a ghost he doesn't have to "be located" in the game anywhere near where you hear his voice, as people argued; he can pass through walls and probably speak to you telepathically over a large distance anyway. He probably silently watches Quote when he starts becoming active and evaluates whether Quote'll be able to actually finally fix everything, and once Quote's "proved himself" (after Core if you did the right things) he'll start contacting you and leading you in the directions he wants you to go. Of course, once you're actually IN the Sacred Grounds he's gonna start telling you the whole story of everything right up until you reach him, in front of his master's lair.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:49 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I assumed it was Ballos himself who was doing the narrating.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Captain Fabulous said:
Really? I always thought Ballos and Sacred Ground was something he threw in for kicks, decided he liked it and connected it with the story. If you are a 1337 |-| 4 >< >< 0 |2 and you found the beta development messages, then you might agree. One of them, on the Outer Wall, says Pixel was planning on making the Plantation the final area. A plantation is no good place for Ballos.

Actually, he originally did not have it in the game. His beta testers though, wanted more of a challenge, so he added hell.

And I always thought that there was a hidden recording in the room, and when you came by it spoke the words.

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Rawr said:
And I always thought that there was a hidden recording in the room, and when you came by it spoke the words.
... So Hell is a museum?

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM
Pirate Member
It's a voice in Quote's head, created by the eerie feeling of being in fucking hell.

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
It's the dog, but that simply raises the question of "who sent the dog".

My answer's Misery.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:16 PM
Pirate Member
I don't think the dog was sent there by anyone, I think he was smart enough to go there by himself. Although that's debatable.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:56 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
... is Pixel. He threws himself into the game. Similarly like at the Waterway Cabin. If not Pixel than Chthulu.

Mar 28, 2011 at 3:48 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I am jack's smriking revenge.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:53 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
I always thought it was the dog who was guarding the entrance to the Seal Chamber. Either that or I used to think it was Curly for some weird reason.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:35 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
WoodenRat said:
It was either the dog (I like to call him Courage) or it was just the magical commenter of cavestory. You know, the guy who tells you "You see a button." and "The door won't budge.".

Another theory is, Jenka?

corage the cowardly dog??? lol :muscledoc:
also the magical commentater who says the door wont budge and that stuff. i think quote is sayin that or its in his mind:awesomeface:

May 22, 2011 at 2:40 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Quote maybe had this info within him, built to play when he entered hell?
He WAS sent to destroy the Demon Crown, after all. Maybe someone put it in him in case he got to hell?

May 22, 2011 at 8:16 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yeah, my theory is Quote is remembering more and more of his lost memories as he sticks with Curly Brace.

Remember you get a narrator one other time too :
When you let (Prof. Booster? fall), and have the Tow Rope.
Perhaps the reason you have to let Booster fall, is if you watch him die; Quote's mind will focus on the present, on the humans that are in trouble or something; and lose his past; Curly is someone he's forgotten, and without Curly, robots aren't really a big part of Quote's worldview.
Now, if you don't meet Booster, you are still thinking about Curly; and the longer you spend with her; the more you start to remember something you two were supposed to do together.

You can only get to Hell if you save Curly and have the Iron Bond. Maybe, Curly starts to remember too; about their mission... She makes her way to Hell with what knowledge she remembers?
You follow suite, and the knowledge begins to unlock.

Curly however, does not see the narration that you the player (Quote?) sees/remembers what Quote does. By the ending dialogue with Balrog :
@B@
You two defeated Ballos.

Our curse was lifted thanks-
to you.
Misery and I no longer have to-
listen to orders from anyone.
@C@
I thought you were a bad guy,-
but it was just because of-
the Demon Crown?

@B@
We asked for it...
You have to remember,-
it was Misery who had Ballos-
make the crown.

@C@
Eh?
Really?
I didn't know that.
@B@
Yep!

Look at the Wii's version of events :
Curly said:
Before, a great number of-
us robots were sent to-
this island...
We were sent by the-
countries of the surface.

The purpose of the mission...
it was the incredible-
slumbering power found on-
this floating island...
And it was also about the-
Demon Crown.
But you and I were different.

We were sent on a mission to-
destroy that power.

EDIT: After more thought on the "slumbering power found on the floating island" besides the Demon Crown that the robots were sent after...
It's probably not Ballos. But, probably the Core?

Remember all of the dead robots in the Core Base? While they probably don't know about Ballos, the robots probably knew about the Core somewhat. I mean Booster and Kazuma apparently know about it from their dialogues. So, that is most likely the target of the robots. Not to destroy but to take. [They probably didn't expect the Core to slaughter them though!]

Although, back to Quote and Curly... was it their mission to destroy Ballos? Maybe, it was given to them. Although they have no memory of it; the narrations might be something someone left to Quote. Whether it was there since the beginning of the war, or after.... I dunno.

All I know is no mention of Ballos is made throughout the game, but suddenly Curly somehow manages her way to Hell at the end? Even though she is still damaged?
I used to think maybe someone brought her there, teleported her there... but I'd wager, both Quote and Curly are after the same goal. Why in the world else, would one go into that house while the island is falling apart and you are running for your life? To take a little nap? :debug:

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
WoodenRat said:
Please explain.

Quote doesn't talk. You never see Curly's mugshot. That dog is too far away for Quote to be able to hear him. Therefore, this is the first time Quote hears the player character talk.

Jul 3, 2011 at 8:57 PM
inside is yello
"..."
I always thought it was the Dog, but really it's pretty open to interpretation.

I'm just going to say that it was the voice that says all the narration. ("From somewhere a transmission", "It won't open!" etc.)

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I highly suspect it was the Core because Quote heard the voice the first time it was dying so it could be automatically programmed to tell it's story as it dies.

Nov 12, 2013 at 12:00 AM
"Huzzah!"
smael123 said:
I highly suspect it was the Core because Quote heard the voice the first time it was dying so it could be automatically programmed to tell it's story as it dies.
The core isn't a robot. The island was made by jenka IIRC. So it's magical. I would think that quote is remembering all of this. He was possibly told this when him and curly were about to be sent to destroy the crown. Curly telling him about what they were sent there for partially triggered this and going to hell made him finally remember it all.
However this would mean that this is all being told from inside his mind, also meaning that it can only be heard by quote.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't know if I have mentioned this but I personally believe the the narration is only directed at the player and cannot be heard by Quote or any other character in the game. This is made obvious by the fact that neither Quote nor Curly knew anything about Misery's curse until after Balrog mentioned it despite the fact that the narrator spilled the beans well before then.