Expansion of our Repetoir

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:14 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm thinking of doing a complete restructure while I'm here.
Does this sound alright?:

General Forums
> Forum Announcements and Rules
> Forum Suggestions
> Satellite Lunch
> > Media
> > Forum-Based Games
> > The S.P.O.T.

Cave Story
> General Discussion
> Music
> Fanart
> Theories
> Technical Issues
> Other Games by Pixel

(If "Other Games by Pixel" works out well then I could always turn it into it's own separate category later)

Modding
> Mod/Hack Showcase
> Hacking/Modding
> Hack/Mod Ideas and Development

Other Games
> General Gaming
> > Game Videos
> > Game Music
> Freeware and Homebrew Games
> > Game Development

(Might be best to cull "Game Art" as a forum since it only has 8 threads in it)

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I was thinking
General Forums
> Forum Suggestions
> Satellite Lunch (Lunch? When did lunch happen?)
>> Media
>> Forum-Based Games
>> The S.P.O.T.
(*Maybe a general subforum for all art could go here, including Cave Story art, so that it's substantial enough?)

Cave Story
> Cave Story Disco Forum
>> Music
>> Theories
>> Technical Issues
(I don't really think that fanart needs its own subforum but I guess it could be made to work*)
> Other Games by Pixel (Not a subforum)
> Mod/Hack Showcase
>> Hacking/Modding
>> Hack/Mod Ideas and Development

General Gaming
> Gamer's Lounge
>> Game Videos
>> Game Music
> Freeware and Homebrew Games
>> Game Development

EDIT: I'm quite happy to help with any thread relocation that needs doing.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:23 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Ahh why does everything say "lunch" instead of "lounge?"
Lounges are waaaaay cooler.

Jul 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM
/end
DoubleThink said:
Between the melodrama and lemon jokes I'm beginning to wonder if this thread was even meant to be serious :critter: It would take years for a change in the site's "focus" to notably increase new member influx, even if it worked. There's nothing wrong with improving the layout but I'm not seeing changes made to the site on the basis of kneejerk overreactions. Settle down :|

This has so much truth in it. I don't know why some people of this forum are obsessed with trying to bring more life into it or what have you. There are thousands, millions of forums out there that have more sections to discuss more subjects and are less active than this one.

You can paint a elephant black and white and it will still be an elephant, you aren't going to draw more people in by making them think it is a zebra.

cultr1 said:
Ahh why does everything say "lunch" instead of "lounge?"
Lounges are waaaaay cooler.

This. Honestly, lunch? Why lunch? Lounge was perfectly and completely fine. The only reason why can see behind you calling it lunch is trying to make some horribly lame pun.

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:28 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I like andy's idea :critter: (apart from the lunch....i prefer lounge - you can still eat lunch in a lounge)
Edit: Oh the forum has already been restructured.....

Jul 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM
My only complaint is the "lunch"

It's a gross word

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:06 PM
Been here way too long...
DoubleThink said:
Between the melodrama and lemon jokes I'm beginning to wonder if this thread was even meant to be serious.
I can answer that for you! Yes! While the thread has sort of dodged the point for the most part, it is an important one. The point is not to get a kajillion new members, but rather to create more opportunities for interesting conversation - the cave story section is very close to being worn out, new members want to talk about things that have already been talked about, and thus almost immediately get shut down by old members. Expanding our repetoir will provide new avenues for discussion. Old members won't keep having to talk about the same things, and new members will be able to starts conversations that haven't been had before. This isn't merely a matter of rearranging the forums to make the gamer's lounge more prominent, because while that could help, we already have that avenue open to us. It would be more a matter of, say, expanding the mod/hack sub to be for a bunch of games, or creating a forum in which politics is meant to be discussed (probably not). Doing that might bring in new members, but it would more importantly rejuvenate the relationship between oldies and the forums. Hence this thread, and also hence I think you/andwhy's suggestions/the new layout need to be augmented a bit still.

Technicalities!
Obviously we can talk about all of these things in the satellite lounge atm. This is because we can talk about ANYTHING in the satellite lounge. Creating a forum specifically for eg politics would show that it isn't merely possible to talk about it, but also suggested.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:10 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I would like to suggest that Hack/Mod showcase be a subforum of Hacking/Modding, rather than the other way around

It makes more sense to me

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
cultr1 said:
My only complaint is the "lunch"

It's a gross word

MetaSeraphim said:

Agreed agreed. 'Lounge' fits more than 'lunch'.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM
/end
Noxid said:
It makes more sense to me

To me, I think the "Showcase" of completed or mostly completed mods should have the limelight, as in, being the main forum, and the things that lead to completed or mostly completed mods being right under that.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:28 PM
Jul 16, 2011 at 9:31 PM
Here are my suggestions. They are basically a conglomeration of the ideas put forward in this thread, but I also believe they fulfill the original point of this thread better than the most recent suggestions.
Code:
[B]General Forums[/B]
> Forum Suggestions
> General Discourse
> > Forum-Based Games
> > SPOT

[B]Gamer's Lounge[/B]
> Commercial Games
> Indie Games
> Homebrew Games
> > Ideas and Development
> > Programming Help

[B]Pixel[/B]
> Pixel and His Other Games
> Cave Story General Discussion
> > Music
> > Theories
> > Technical Issues

[B]Game Modification[/B]
> Modding and Hacking
> > Cave Story Modding
> Ideas and Development
> Showcase
Some Notes:
- Sattelite Lounge is renamed General Discourse because the former is a stupid name (the latter might need some work as well)
- All forums would count towards postcount except for the SPOT and Forum games sections.
- Idiotic threads would be moved to the SPOT as to not count towards postcount (this brings validity to General Discourse).
- We don't need a link to the main website I don't think.
- I have replaced or deleted all instances of Hacking/Modding. This is because hacking has a bad stigma, the slash is annoying, and it was superfluous.
- The "Rate the x Above You" and the "You're so addicted to x" threads would be moved to the forum-based games section.

Thoughts?

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:39 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
p.s. I helped with Lace's list so you can count me as supporting it.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:58 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Lace said:
- Sattelite Lounge is renamed General Discourse because the former is a stupid name (the latter might need some work as well)

I actually liked the name sattelite lounge. It's also a bit easier for someone new to know what kind of threads go on in a forum with the word lounge in it's name. Since we're focusing some of this on new members.

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:01 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Okay but why is the lounge for satellites
Yes I understand the premise but it still seemed silly to me. A better name than General Discourse is fine.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:19 PM
/end
Lace said:

Discourse is stupid. Lounge is perfectly fine. The Satellite Lounge is meant for regular casual discussion like what happens in a lounge. Discourse implies some debate.

Lace said:
- All forums would count towards postcount except for the SPOT and Forum games sections.

No.

Lace said:
- Idiotic threads would be moved to the SPOT as to not count towards postcount (this brings validity to General Discourse).

No.

Lace said:
- We don't need a link to the main website I don't think.

Yes we do.

Lace said:
- The "Rate the x Above You" and the "You're so addicted to x" threads would be moved to the forum-based games section.

Cave Story related things go in the Cave Story forum, only a idiotic moron would change it or think otherwise. Forum-Based Games is for, get this, Forum-Based Games, as in games you could see on any forum. If there is one create based solely on the site's interests then it belongs in the proper section for such interests instead of the common interests every forum has.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:23 PM
MetaSeraphim said:
Discourse is stupid. Lounge is perfectly fine. The Satellite Lounge is meant for regular casual discussion like what happens in a lounge. Discourse implies some debate.
Noxid said:
Okay but why is the lounge for satellites
Yes I understand the premise but it still seemed silly to me. A better name than General Discourse is fine.

I would appreciate reasoning for your middle three points. The last one isn't really a discussion for this thread, so I'm not going to debate about it here. It was simply on the list as a last minute thought.

Also:
MetaSeraphim said:
Only a idiotic moron would change it or think otherwise.
Ad hominem isn't really a rational way to argue against something. btw, it's "an", not "a".

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM
/end
It should be kept Satellite Lounge just because it is Satellite Lounge. While there might possibly be a better name for it is it needed? Does it have to be changed because it doesn't make sense?

No.

The fact that it is a sort of unique name can possibly add to the charm of the forum. Keeping it Satellite Lounge could cause new members to go "Why it is called that?" and start checking it out. However with a name like "General Discourse" it might just turn people off because they have no idea what it means.

If you want a smarter better Satellite Lounge than make a new forum entirely and call it "General Discourse" and leave Satellite Lounge as be. Most forums have three main totems for their social sections in the first place.

"Smart"
"Normal"
"Stupid"

Lace said:
Also:Ad hominem isn't really a rational way to argue against something.

Shut up nerdboy.

Lace said:
All forums would count towards postcount except for the SPOT and Forum games sections.

This, for the most part is pointless. Post count doesn't matter so why should every section but a few count? Of course arguing in reverse. Since post count doesn't matter than all sections should count towards post count. Or the third option of just turning off post count entirely. It would still count of course, it just wouldn't be shown.

Also, as an unwritten rule. Social sections don't count towards post count.

Lace said:
Idiotic threads would be moved to the SPOT as to not count towards postcount (this brings validity to General Discourse).

As I said before if you want a smarter Satellite Lounge make a new forum outright. There is no need to change the Satellite Lounge to make it smarter, the Satellite Lounge is supposed to be casual. Just because you think some of the stuff there isn't as smart as it should be doesn't mean it should be changed.

And, making an unwritten rule about idiotic threads being moved to the SPOT opens a whole can of worms. What exactly defines an idiotic thread?

There is the obvious like "PIME TARADOX" but beyond that what about the not so obvious? It opens up the doors for staff members to use their opinion on what is and what isn't idiotic and move threads even if the person wanted some semi-serious discussion but the staff member still felt it was stupid. This forum already has enough of staff members using their opinion a bit too much and it doesn't need more.

Also, it implies the SPOT is for nothing but idiotic mundane stupidity, when in fact its not, not fully at least. While it is a spam forum just looking at it right now I am finding threads that don't exactly belong there. And are only being posted there because people are too scared to post it in the Satellite Lounge because they think it will be deemed stupid and moved.

Lace said:
We don't need a link to the main website I don't think.

Why not? That is kind of like saying we don't need a link on the main Cave Story website.

Lace said:
I have replaced or deleted all instances of Hacking/Modding. This is because hacking has a bad stigma, the slash is annoying, and it was superfluous.

This is a really bad really opinion fueled change. Changes should be things that improve the forum overall for everyone, not changes because a word implies a bad stigma, or a certain part of it is annoying or superfluous.

In fact, you could say that such a change is superfluous in itself. It does nothing to improve the forum or improve Cave Story hacking in anyway.

Jul 17, 2011 at 12:32 AM
diph.php

DISAGREE WITH ALL THE THINGS!

MetaSeraphim said:
Since post count doesn't matter than all sections should count towards post count.
Yup. Don't know why the admins refused to do this before.

MetaSeraphim said:
Also, as an unwritten rule. Social sections don't count towards post count.
I'm afraid you can't use an unwritten rule as official policy. The entire Cave Story discussion forum is pretty much social, since we don't have serious things to talk about ("serious" things). I really think post counts should count everywhere except the SPOT, because spam posts are allowed there. Post counts aren't a score, they're just a record. Not the kind that's set and broken, mind you.

MetaSeraphim said:
As I said before if you want a smarter Satellite Lounge make a new forum outright. There is no need to change the Satellite Lounge to make it smarter, the Satellite Lounge is supposed to be casual. Just because you think some of the stuff there isn't as smart as it should be doesn't mean it should be changed.
Actually, the Satellite Lounge is supposed to be a catch-all for stuff that doesn't have a forum. Its actual use was determined by the users, not the administration.

MetaSeraphim said:
And, making an unwritten rule about idiotic threads being moved to the SPOT opens a whole can of worms. What exactly defines an idiotic thread?
Did we not write that one down? Oh bugger, not more unwritten rules. We discussed this extensively after the OMGWTFBBQ thread, and everyone has a good idea of what's allowed. Unfortunately, this is just something new users will have to pick up on. Oh well, it's only the SPOT.

MetaSeraphim said:
This forum already has enough of staff members using their opinion a bit too much and it doesn't need more.
It certainly has enough whiners that like to feel victimized.

MetaSeraphim said:
And are only being posted there because people are too scared to post it in the Satellite Lounge because they think it will be deemed stupid and moved.
Or because they really don't think they're good enough quality for the Sat Lounge. It's a matter of their opinion.

MetaSeraphim said:
This is a really bad really opinion fueled change. Changes should be things that improve the forum overall for everyone, not changes because a word implies a bad stigma, or a certain part of it is annoying or superfluous.

In fact, you could say that such a change is superfluous in itself. It does nothing to improve the forum or improve Cave Story hacking in anyway.
It's a change that nobody should really care about and you're making it a big deal. How about you suggest a better idea than "Satellite Lounge" or "General Discourse" instead of bitching about it?

Satellite Lounge implies it's an accessory to the main forums, and therefore less important. General Discussion sounds much too formal for what it is, and also: "General Forums > General Discourse." I don't have a good suggestion off the top of my head, but I'll think of one later.