Expansion of our Repetoir

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WD said:
And now we're just milking a 7 year old game dry...again.
This has been a motif over the forums (particularly in the ideas section) over the last few months. The reason most people keep coming back is for the community, but we need a new thing to center out focus on if we want to draw in new members and maintain our old ones.

My questions are: Should we develop a new focus, and if so, what should it be?
In any case the CS sections would live on, they just wouldn't be the party.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:30 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
The only issue is that this is a site revolving around Cave Story, and changing the focus would be...
Highly unusual.

Also, where would we get our post count if the Cave Story Section is dried up?

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:33 AM
We would make posts count in the other sections as well.
Obviously this is sorta a big leap, but it may be necessary for the continued survival of the forums.

Jul 13, 2011 at 2:50 AM
Lace said:
My questions are: Should we develop a new focus, and if so, what should it be?
In any case the CS sections would live on, they just wouldn't be the party.
It's hard to find another indie game to make forums for, since they all have their own forums nowadays. It would have to be for something less specific, like video game art.

Just as an example, let's say we make a new forum about vidjagaem-related art. It's something that a few of us have got an interest in. Unfortunately, we'd be competing with a lot of other places, because it's not exactly an underground interest. Compare that with Cave Story. We're pretty much all English-speakers have for a general Cave Story community (which is frightening), so that's why we get so many new users.

The most important thing to me about this place is you guys, the users. If you were boring, uninvolved casuals I would have stopped posting a long time ago. Pretty sure that goes for everyone. Really, the only thing we'll have going for us in a new forum is ourselves. We won't have any advertising, so to get new users for our new forum, we'll have to be super nice to them. K?

Right now, all the forums are self-sufficient. We don't need new users for them. The Satellite Lounge is just us talking, the Cave Story forum is absolutely stagnant, and the Hacking/Modding forum's got everything it needs. Because of this, we have a "take it or leave it" attitude towards new members. We don't care if they like the place or not.

With a new forum, one that isn't about a specific thing that doesn't already have a forum, we have to encourage new members and growth as much as possible. And, most importantly, it would be a lot of work. Don't forget that. If you can't make the commitment, please don't commit.

cultr1 said:
Also, where would we get our post count if the Cave Story Section is dried up?
Take a look at my post history. That is a prime example of not contributing worthwhile ideas. Excluding this post, of course.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Well I could add a forum for pixel's other games and another for indie games in general if the interest is there.

Jul 13, 2011 at 3:53 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
andwhyisit said:
Well I could add a forum for pixel's other games and another for indie games in general if the interest is there.

I agree. This can make the forum live up more by alot.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:08 AM
Fantastic idea, but how about Pixel's other stuff as well, since he makes music and art too?

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:25 AM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Captain Fabulous said:
Fantastic idea, but how about Pixel's other stuff as well, since he makes music and art too?

True, Pixel has done alot. Also Pixel's current projects. More people would probably come if there was more CS related stuff out in the wilderness of the internet in general. Like a cool/funny flash series. But that would require someone to make such a thing.

Jul 13, 2011 at 4:55 AM
Gamer's Forum
For non-Cave Story games.

Gaming General
Discuss anything to do with video games.
◻Videos ◻Music ◻Art

Indie Games
Forum for independently made games, like Cave Story (but not Cave Story).
◻Freeware ◻Homebrew* ◻Ideas

Studio Pixel
A place to discuss Pixel's other games and his art.
Just a suggestion.

*This is a forum for game developers to show their new/unfinished games to us. I think it needs a better name. Also, I would be willing to sort out which threads go where if the admins don't feel like it.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:02 AM
I don't anymore.
Captain Fabulous said:
Just a suggestion.

*This is a forum for game developers to show their new/unfinished games to us. I think it needs a better name. Also, I would be willing to sort out which threads go where if the admins don't feel like it.

Indie Games. Would it have it's own ideas section? Like in the modding section.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:06 AM
Yes it should, good suggestion. I wish I could think of better names for some of those forums, though.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:09 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
andwhyisit said:

Yes. (I would certainly be one of the interested ones.)

Also, is there a possibility for a Cave Story Art forum? Right now, we have a single CS fanart thread where everything gets posted and it's just a big long mess.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:12 AM
I don't anymore.
Captain Fabulous said:
Yes it should, good suggestion. I wish I could think of better names for some of those forums, though.

The names work as they are in my opinion. Sub forums for indie games would be overall discusion, ideas, your creations, and "maybe" suggestions and help. I'm REALLY unsure about that last one. I wonder who that is already amoung us would post in your creations... Other than Ralren and Nox of course.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:28 AM
Not anymore
HyMyNameIsMatt said:
I wonder who that is already amoung us would post in your creations... Other than Ralren and Nox of course.

I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would. Take Final Columbus for example.

New game programmers and game creators pop up all the time.

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:56 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
let's fucking do it

I'm all for CF's suggestion I guess
he may be an asshole but he's a really fucking smart one

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:09 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I dunno. The ideas are good, but is there really enough traffic that we need extra forums? Go for it, but I think the Gamers Lounge and its Sub-forums are fine as it is.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Tpcool said:
I dunno. The ideas are good, but is there really enough traffic that we need extra forums? Go for it, but I think the Gamers Lounge and its Sub-forums are fine as it is. LETS FUCKING DO THIS!

That's the spirit, m'boy! :3

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:15 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
inb4 people rage because of that post.

Anyway, yeah it's a good idea and stuff I guess.

Jul 13, 2011 at 7:23 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Ok yeah I understand I'm the only one who doesn't agree and people will get mad at me. But we are a small forum with no problems with the sections already here. Nothing honestly needs to be changed.

tl;dr MY OPINION DOESN'T MATTER SO LETS FUCKING DO THIS.

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:01 AM
I don't anymore.
Tpcool said:
Ok yeah I understand I'm the only one who doesn't agree and people will get mad at me. But we are a small forum with no problems with the sections already here. Nothing honestly needs to be changed.

tl;dr MY OPINION DOESN'T MATTER SO LETS FUCKING DO THIS.

It'll probably just end up giving us more to talk about actually. I get that we are a cool little small community, but Lace wants to expand to prevent it from falling apart and keep the conversations going with fresh new people, "at least that's waht I think he's saying". But I don't know whether or not it's neccesary so I won't argue with you about that.

No one deserves to be ignored, everyone deserves to be told their wrong!