Expansion of our Repetoir

Jul 13, 2011 at 8:54 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I don't think very much thought has gone into this yet :/ For example, we already have the Gamer's Lounge and the Freeware and Homebrew subforum. They could surely be moved around a bit to make their purpose clearer and/or make them more prominent, but it's not as though there aren't avenues on the site for their discussion already. We don't need an entire separately-devoted indie games section.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Been here way too long...
Ofc there are avenues for discussion about indie games on these forums. There are practically avenues for discussion about everything once you consider the satellite lounge. The big thing that matters isn't the capability to post about indie games or mathematics or whatever, but rather what the focus of the forums is on. By creating an indie Games Forum, we make posting about Indie Games a more prominent part of the forums in general. It then shares the focus more equally with the cave story section, and members, particularly new members, will be more inclined to post there. Over time causing a further shift and balance between those sections.

@Hy, yes it is that. But it isn't just keeping the conversations going with fresh new people, it is also getting new conversations going with the same ol' fogeys. A lot of us have been here a long time. A few of us feel like we're done talking about cave story. A few new sections could sorta add some spark to our marriage and keep it going much longer.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I agree with this proposition as it will not only draw in cave story fans but indie fans and pixel fans in general. And like lace said will give us more to talk about and will keep users coming in and staying.

Edit: And by having forums for that it will inspire people to talk about indie games and pixel games.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Great Ideas! In particular the one about Studio Pixel, I don't really play a huge amount of other games so I don't really care much for the other section :mrgreen:

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Definatley a great idea, maybe that'll also be a way of uniting more and more artists in search for a place to express their art and get together to the point of even making projects.

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:25 PM
Do we have any more ideas as to the specific forums we would be moving around then? "Expand the repetoir!" isn't really a complete idea that andwhy and the other staff could consider.

Jul 13, 2011 at 10:32 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Not much I can think of. I'm terrible with organization and that seems to be what should be done with these ideas right now.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Maybe we can have a forum where we talk about science and math

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:11 PM
Can't tell if serious.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:13 PM
daughter of chivalry
Of course I'm not being serious. But it'd be a good idea for you guys anyway.

Jul 13, 2011 at 11:19 PM
Well the suggestions I heard were "Pixel forum" and "indie forum," and I figured there's no point keeping the Gamer's Lounge the same if there's so much overlap, so I made up that thingy. I think shifting our focus from Cave Story mods to full-on indie game development and other game-related artistic medium is a great idea, and I think those three forums I suggested should work.

Like I said though, there's going to be lots of thread moving.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:32 AM
Maybe we could make special thread-mover mods for a week or whatever.
I think a srs bsns forum might be a nice addition as well.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Can't tell if srs...

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM
I don't anymore.
Lace said:
Maybe we could make special thread-mover mods for a week or whatever.
I think a srs bsns forum might be a nice addition as well.

I have no idea what that means.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:49 AM
daughter of chivalry
Forums are not meant to be serious

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:59 AM
I don't anymore.
WD said:
Forums are not meant to be serious

Your FACE isn't meant to be serious!

But anyways, the indie games forum and Pixel forum seem like they just need more thought put into them before they can be made. I've already said what I can for the Indie games one, but for the Pixel one current projects, past works, and rumors sound about right.

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:15 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Oh OK I see what Lace means. Introducing these new sections to make things less boring, eh, right? Seems like a good idea ^_^ Let's fucking do it! (I should probably try Ikachan now)

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:00 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Lace said:
Ofc there are avenues for discussion about indie games on these forums. There are practically avenues for discussion about everything once you consider the satellite lounge. The big thing that matters isn't the capability to post about indie games or mathematics or whatever, but rather what the focus of the forums is on. By creating an indie Games Forum, we make posting about Indie Games a more prominent part of the forums in general. It then shares the focus more equally with the cave story section, and members, particularly new members, will be more inclined to post there. Over time causing a further shift and balance between those sections.
I would rather that changes be made from the perspective of adding things to the forums as opposed to a 'focus shift'. In this case, there's already a video games section, so this would be more of a rearrangement (which is basically what it will end up being regardless). On a personal note, I don't particularly want the site to revolve more around generic indie game discussion/development. There are already plenty of other sites for that, so it's hardly going to rake in the new members. I can't really see the 'focus' of the site changing unless we rename it altogether >_>

Rather than making a lone Indie Games section, I think it might work better like this. A new forum section could be made for general video game discussion, as opposed to having it in the General Forums section like it is now. Within that, there could be a forum for commercial games (because there is plenty to discuss about them as well!), one for indie games, etc. That would give them a properly-defined place on the site, rather just one blot on the front page. And maybe the best spot for Pixel's other games would be in the Cave Story Forums section?

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I agree on pretty much everything. The only problem i have is about putting the section for other pixel games in the cave story section. Because it would not fit.
Think about it the cave story discussion forums was made for anything cave story so we can fit in theories,music,technical issues. And we have it because its related to cave story if we were to place a section for other pixel games,would that fit.

Jul 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
also get rid of auto titles even noxid agrees with me

or you could just have that subforum be for pixel's work, with cave story as the focus
also rework the other shit so it makes more sense

i.e.
studio pixel
-> cave story discussion
> modding
>>modding subforums
> theories
> music (why is this still here)

-> other games [by pixel]

and then we would have the general forum
-> forum announcements and rurus
> forums suggestions

-> gamer's lunch
> game videos, music, and art (this could probably be merged into a single "media" subforum, all of them barely get any traffic anyway)
> console games
> pc games
>> freeware
okay maybe this part could be rearranged a bit it isn't perfect

-> satellite lunch
> media (I thought this was pretty much the focus of this subforum anyways? why is this still here)
> games (this is pretty much pc++ crap but without the pc+ but whatever keep it if you must)
> the spot

e: fuck all the spaces were removed
editing to make it look proper
in case it isn't obvious -> is a main forum, > is a subforum and >> is a sub... sub... forum