Cave Story+

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:36 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I miss the huzzah, but the music grows on you.
If I wanted the old music, I'd play the old cave story.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:54 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
cultr1 said:
I miss the huzzah, but the music grows on you.

I was thinking that "Yeahhh!" Wouldn't be so bad for Balrog to say as he charges in. YEAHHH!

But... "Oh yeah!" still is ...
What kind of charge is that?! (I guess it sounds more like Dorya! But... OH yeah....) Even Booyah! might make more sense... ><

If I wanted the old music, I'd play the old cave story.
I like most of the new remixes too, although I am wondering if there is an easy way to switch out songs...

Huh, I see the ogg folder... Huh?? The songs are all ... mini!
Around 500 KBs or less for minute long loops. Anyway, seems like music can be changed easily if you want to :D

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:51 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I noticed there are 12 .wav files in the ORG Folder. Sounds like it's the beta instruments. Wonder if I can get those .wav files to load.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Sheimi said:
I noticed there are 12 .wav files in the ORG Folder. Sounds like it's the beta instruments. Wonder if I can get those .wav files to load.

There's nothing 'beta' about them, those are the standard ORG_02 drums..
If you want the beta drums then download an old version of OrgView and extract the resources.

Nov 29, 2011 at 7:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Any news yet as to whether this is coming out anywhere other than Steam?

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:16 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Remember, it is already out on the Mac App Store. If you're on a PC, there shouldn't be a reason why Steam is an issue.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
because its 15% off !!!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cave Story said:
Remember, it is already out on the Mac App Store. If you're on a PC, there shouldn't be a reason why Steam is an issue.

Well that's a bit dismissive. I never said Steam was an issue, I just asked a question.

Not everyone likes Steam as much as you apparently do... but that's irrelevant. Really, why does the perfectly reasonable question of 'Is it being released anywhere else?' deserve such an abrupt answer?

Nov 30, 2011 at 7:41 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Nov 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM
Member Title
I left them a little message. Why would he think that things were taken from the modding community without our consent?

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:19 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I think I saw this on reddit earlier.

I find the claims a bit over zealous since they claim that all/mostseveral of the additions to CS+ were from the CS modding community, but then it only shows evidence that SeriousFace's mod was used as the base for the boss rush mode. Given that the additions to CS+ are the new graphics and music and then the mods, claiming that all the additions are stolen is simply wrong. Even saying the mods are stolen is wrong, it should be singular.

As far as I'm aware (from talking to tyrone a bit), someone emailed him(tyrone) the boss rush mod and asked him if he would use it in the game. Tyrone asked for the name of the person who submitted it but the person never responded. So at this point Nicalis has used SeriousFace's mod, but it is unconfirmed whether or not SeriousFace was the one who sent it in. I believe this issue will be resolved when SeriousFace surfaces again (attempts have been made to contact him but he hasn't exactly been around).

But I believe Xkeeper is very bold to say that they stole the 'mods' from the community. Seriously, it's singular.

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:53 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
GIR pretty much summed it up, so I'll just say it's funny how this guy is going so far out of his way to make a big deal out of this without being entirely sure of the facts.

This is the reddit thing, in which he basically makes one (1) point, claims to not even have fully finished researching it, and links to a years-old nicalis hate thread on tigsource in which half the arguments don't seem to be relevent anymore (it goes on and on about NightSky not being released for PC, but now it's out on steam?).

I for one am glad that they seem to be making some sort of effort to be more receptive of the modding community, going so far as to design CS+ so that it's actually even easier to make and distribute mods for than the original PC version (barring assembly hacks).

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:58 PM
Pirate Member
The author of the other thread linked that tigsource thread too. Yay for invalidated arguments

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:01 PM
Member Title
The guy also linked me to this.

Edit: Come on, Malpercio.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Why is he saying they stole the fan translation

I would have been overjoyed if they had done that to be honest.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM
Member Title
Haha, I know right. I mean, the current translation isn't bad, per say as it is simply not as good as Aeon Genesis's

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM
Offensive User
*Sigh* Internets...

Very bold man indeed.

Pixel was not ripped at all. In fact, NICALiS worked very closely with him for the new translation, 2x resolution sprites, as well as music.
I never understood why he is pointing fingers at them.

Also, the link that he gave out after Cave Story posted has some inaccuracies. One thing that was wrong was that Night Game "aka NightSky." Was never released on WiiWare because of some issues with the memory (read: Super Meat Boy), I think.
Speaking of NightSky, I thought that Nifflas was the art director for the game.

Another thing that was wrong was that DeseasedCrab's LP of Cave Story was never taken down. Not to mention, the LP was made in 2007, a full year before they were requested to be taken down. First part still has the original post date (which was a full year before May 2008), and the video still has over 150,000 views. If the video was taken down, the only way for that video was to be reuploaded, right? How would that be possible when the first part still has the post date of May 30, 2007?

So yeah... Invalid arguments for the loss.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:11 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is actually something I had been meaning to ask about here.

You see, I bought CS+ a few days ago, and the program didn't work when I started it up (since been fixed). I went to the Steam support boards, and I came across a thread entitled Fun Nicalis Facts (which was by Xkeeper). I wanted to discuss this because I really did not know what to believe. None of it is sourced, but it still bothered me after reading it. So, any thoughts on the other points he brought up? I would like to point out though that the whole conversation on the "Official" status of either translation is pretty moot considering that Pixel barely knows English himself right now. But I'm curious as to where the "Aeon asked for permission" clause came from.

EDIT: Oh, whoops. Someone rebutted some of the points already. Sorry if this was redundant.

Nov 30, 2011 at 9:13 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Crys from that other forum said:
Actually, the plural statement is correct, since the fan translation is indeed classified as a mod.

They retranslated the game themselves with new translators, they said so themselves and that's why they have translators credited in the game. Some of the new translations are even more accurate (like the Bubbline and "Yrots Evac"). Nicalis' translation, when compared to the original japanese script and the AG script, is a much more literal translation of the script, which is why it reads a little less elegantly. However it certainly does not appear that they just 'changed it up a bit'. Of course they going to be similar, they're both translations of the same game.

Whether or not they used the old (Aeon Genesis) translation script files as the base files is of no concern, since it does not feature any actual content from their translation. No matter how I look at it this can't be considered stealing.