Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jan 13, 2012 at 3:40 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I was playing through, when I noticed Itoh said,
What? Sakomoto's working on a rocket?
So she's still alive... A fierce one, she is.
Yet, everybody recently learned that Momorin and the others are still alive...
Kazuma...
Send mom and Sue my regards.
Booster...
that huge block of text that i can't be bothered to type out in which he gives you the booster 2.0 for the rocket
Curly...
when she realizes everybody is okay and asks if her children are out there
And even Itoh himself!
I'm so glad the other's are here. I was becoming rather lonely up here..
So apparently Itoh not only has short-term memory loss, he also doesn't understand basic grammar!

EDIT: Also, because of the placement of the Nikumaru counter, it's impossible to go back and watch the regular ending by "talking" to the bookcase.

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So apparently Itoh not only has short-term memory loss, he also doesn't understand basic grammar!
You have a good piont. I will fix that in my next release. If you mean to say that he lacks grammar in certain places, then would you please point out to me where this mistake is? Thank you. EDIT:Oh, I see. "other's,".

So, let's see what I need to put into the next version:

- Pack the contents more neatly.
- Add smoke effects for the disappearances of Toroko, King, and Sandaime.
- Change "Labyrnth," to "Labyrinth,", "other's," to "others,", and "Itoth" to "Itoh" where necessary.
- If you're going for the fourth ending, make Itoh not act surprised at the fact that Momorin is still alive.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
First of all, there's the "other's", which should be "others"
There was another, similar mistake, but I can't seem to find it now.
Also, some of booster's text seems a bit off, but that may just be me nitpicking at english again.
Other than that, the only other thing seems to be how King takes the blade from you, preventing you from obtaining the Nemesis.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM
Based Member
First of all, there's the "other's", which should be "others"
Noted.
Also, some of booster's text seems a bit off, but that may just be me nitpicking at english again.
If you have suggestions of improvments on specific parts of dialog, I'd be glad to hear them.
Other than that, the only other thing seems to be how King takes the blade from you, preventing you from obtaining the Nemesis.
Indeed. That is one of the sacrifices of going for the fourth ending. So you'll have to go for the third ending if you want to speedrun hell the best.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM
"Huzzah!"
youre making that tile thing much more complex than it is, there are alot of things you can do here -
  • creating an h/v trigger somewhere at a more advanced part of the map, that will change the shootable tile to a solid one and set a flag for it to always change at the entrance of a map (with the transition script - #0095 or something), or to set the transition back to that map redirect to a clone map, just like what happens with arthurs house or the rooftop cabin.
  • making the door that leads to curly do what i stated above.
  • create an h/v trigger inside the block, so only once its shot it would detect a horizontal / vertical line which will do what i stated above, also only enabling the player to eather shoot the block from a horizontal position or a vertical position.
  • change one of the mobs in the game to the star tile's graphic, change its properties and make a "run script on death" flag.
and so on and so on
there are just so many options here that wouldnt involve hacking...

good luck! im trying it out.

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:41 PM
Based Member
creating an h/v trigger somewhere at a more advanced part of the map, that will change the shootable tile to a solid one and set a flag for it to always change at the entrance of a map (with the transition script - #0095 or something), or to set the transition back to that map redirect to a clone map, just like what happens with arthurs house or the rooftop cabin.
Hmm... Unless I am much mistaken, I believe that's what I did... But I always try to avoid adding maps unless absolutely necessary. Cause Noxid said in his video "You may be tempted to use the add map feature, but I really suggest you aviod this. Having too many maps can cause unexpected quirks, and it's not even garanteed to work."
making the door that leads to curly do what i stated above.
See the reason above for why I tried to avoid adding maps.
create an h/v trigger inside the block, so only once its shot it would detect a horizontal / vertical line which will do what i stated above, also only enabling the player to eather shoot the block from a horizontal position or a vertical position.
I'm not sure if I completely understood that. Some clarification on what you mean would be good.
change one of the mobs in the game to the star tile's graphic, change its properties and make a "run script on death" flag.
Forgive me. But I am relatively new to Cave Story modding. I have heard the term "mobs," before, but have never known what it means.
Thanks! I'm eager to see your feedback.

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
youre making that tile thing much more complex than it is, there are alot of things you can do here -
  • creating an h/v trigger somewhere at a more advanced part of the map, that will change the shootable tile to a solid one and set a flag for it to always change at the entrance of a map (with the transition script - #0095 or something), or to set the transition back to that map redirect to a clone map, just like what happens with arthurs house or the rooftop cabin.
  • making the door that leads to curly do what i stated above.
  • create an h/v trigger inside the block, so only once its shot it would detect a horizontal / vertical line which will do what i stated above, also only enabling the player to eather shoot the block from a horizontal position or a vertical position.
  • change one of the mobs in the game to the star tile's graphic, change its properties and make a "run script on death" flag.
and so on and so on
there are just so many options here that wouldnt involve hacking...

He had to do the advanced thing, because he didn't want to have the tile look shootable.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:40 PM
"Huzzah!"
i just looked at what you actually did, its pretty cleaver... but not so efficient.
youre right, adding more maps without deleting any others is not a good idea...

basically what you did is that it will constantly check if the energy capsule is there, and finally when its not it will change the tile to... nothing.
thats really good...
how long have you been modding?

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Based Member
i just looked at what you actually did, its pretty cleaver... but not so efficient. youre right, adding more maps without deleting any others is not a good idea... basically what you did is that it will constantly check if the energy capsule is there, and finally when its not it will change the tile to... nothing. thats really good... how long have you been modding?
Thank you! I created my very first map on October 19, 2011. I checked out Noxid's video tutorials the following weekend, then, after completing his text-based tutorials, began work on this mod on November 27, 2011. I completed production of it on December 30, 2011, and created my account here and posted it at around 1:00 AM before going to bed.

EDIT: Also, because of the placement of the Nikumaru counter, it's impossible to go back and watch the regular ending by "talking" to the bookcase.
If you're going for the fourth ending, then a cutscene after the fight with the undead core will be shown before you come to, showing Booster, the mimigas, and the Sakamotos, including Kazuma, trapped inside the storehouse. Therefore, Kazuma will not be riding the sky dragon waiting to catch you. Instead, you fall to your death. There's not much reason for going back in that case.

In other news, the next version is up for download either here, or in the original post. Rest assured that any saves from the previous version will be 100% compatible with this new version. Changes in this new version:

- The contents are packaged a bit more neatly. (requested by Tpcool)
- Smoke effects now appear at the vanishings of King, Toroko, and Sandaime. (Thanks to Tpcool for the suggestion)
- Changed "Labyrnth," to "Labyrinth," and "other's," to "others," (Thanks to Tpcool and Wizard The Wizzisential respectively for notifying me)
- If you're going for the fourth ending, Itoh no longer acts surprised at the fact that Momorin is still alive, due to being notified earlier. (Thanks to Wizard The Wizzisential for notifiny me of the consequences of this not taking place)
- The hidden shootable tile is now solid until broken. Turns out I was able to do this without assembly.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
thank you for making this mod,
during version 0.96 im pretty sure there was a glitch
when i returned to the labyrinth to get the whimsical star i tried going into the boulder chamber, and curly is gone but dialogue still apears when talking to the boulder, and balrog fight was possible, and etc. was this fixed?

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM
Based Member
thank you for making this mod,
during version 0.96 im pretty sure there was a glitch
when i returned to the labyrinth to get the whimsical star i tried going into the boulder chamber, and curly is gone but dialogue still apears when talking to the boulder, and balrog fight was possible, and etc. was this fixed?
Hmm... I think I might know what caused this. I'll look into it, as well as have it fixed in my next release.

EDIT: Alright, I've fixed that problem, but I've discovered another, so I'm gonna have to fix that in the next release.

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Based Member
Alright, since it's been some days since the last post, I think this double post is justifiable. You may either download the next version in the original post, or here: Cave Story (4 endings) v1.02

Saves from versions 0.96 and 0.99 will be 100% compatible with this new version.

Changes in this new version:

- Fixed the glitch where you could fight Balrog and get through the boulder if you talked to Curly in the boulder chamber but didn't walk up to the boulder before talking to Professor Booster. (thanks goes to N0obxD for notifying me)
- Fixed the issues from version 0.99 with the shootable blended tile.
- Changed "heres" to "here's". (found it when I was skimming through the code.)
- Took away a certain pixel in one of the tiles I added to the PrtJail tileset. (I don't think anybody noticed, but it bothered me)

Well, I hope to receive some more feedback, thanks in advance!

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM
Based Member
*sigh*
I know that I'm tripple posting. Move this into one post if you must admins, but I'm not done with this thread yet, and it's giong down on the list of threads. Could I please get some more feedback on this new version?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
I don't know, maybe people aren't that interested to play the whole game again just for a mod of a fourth ending?
Just my opinion.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Based Member
I don't know, maybe people aren't that interested to play the whole game again just for a mod of a fourth ending?
Just my opinion.
Which is precisely why the download provides saves at key pionts throughout the game so that you can skip through the normal parts, and just see the new content in a short amount of time.

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If there are no asm hacks in this thing then maybe I could look into porting it one day if that's fine with you.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Based Member
[quote name=&#39;andwhyisit&#39; timestamp=&#39;1327362812&#39; post=&#39;142120&#39;]<br />
If there are no asm hacks in this thing then maybe I could look into porting it one day if that&#39;s fine with you.<br />
[/quote]
I would absolutely LOVE that. There was actually a discussion about that on the second page of this thread, and I said that I wanted to wait to have it ported until I felt that it had thoroughly been checked for glitches. I had, infact, been planning on requesting you to port his to the PSP. Despite the progress this mod has made, I do not yet feel that this mod has been tested to the extent that I say it's ready. As of right now, there are no assembly hacks. However, I do intend for the final version to have a very minor assembly hack. The fourth ending is obviously different in some ways from the others, and as such, the credit art images aren't 100% accurate. That's why I made these:
p145741-0-bitmap19.jpg
p145741-1-bitmap20.jpg
Since I want the other three endings to still be accessible, I'd want to add these images in instead of replacing them in recourse hacker. And that would probably require an assembly hack. Unless I am much mistaken, however, I believe that you actually ported a mod which used a minor assembly hack. Would this one, so simple as just two added credit art images, and two extra available arguments for the <SIL tsc command be too big of one? If that is not possible, then I'd be fine with that, and just let the existing credit art images be in the port. Either that, or replace the images they resemble in the port. But I am glad that you seem willing to port this mod when the time comes. If you would like to help this mod reach its final release, then downloading and trying this mod and giving me your critiques would be of very much help.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
... You do know that there's a difference between resource hacking is not ASM hacking, yes?

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Based Member
... You do know that there's a difference between resource hacking is not ASM hacking, yes?
Yes. There is a fine line between them. Did my post somehow suggest that I did not see the difference? Resource hacking is using a program to view certain files which reside inside of the .exe. The most you can do really, is replace a file within the exe with a different file. The common use in it in cave story modding is replacing certain music tracks to enable the use of your own custom music, or replace certain images which reside in the .exe, and not in the directory. This consists of the exe's icon, the cursor sprites, and the credit art illustrations.

Assembly hacking is a much more difficult and advanced task. It is getting into the exe and modifying its instructions further in depth, allowing you to modify essentially any aspect of the game whatsoever. It is quite hard to learn, and use of this takes place mostly in more ambitious mods.

What I'm wanting to do is somehow get more credit art illustration "slots". I did not see any "add resource" option in resource hacker, so that's why I'm thinking I'm gonna need to use assembly. Unless you know a way to add more without assembly...

Wait, I just realized, there's a way to add resources in resource hacker. But I'm not sure how well that would work in my script, let alone in a port... I'll have to try this tomorrow and see how well it works. EDIT: I tried it, and it works! Yay!

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:08 PM
Based Member
Yet another double post on account of the fact that it is getting bumped down the list. I am not doing this for the sake of increasing my post count. That said, here's the next version. Changes:

- Credit art images added to acommodate the fourth ending without replacing existing ones, and without assembly!

I'm not ready to give andwhy the ok to port this, but we're getting there. If I could get some more feedback, then that would be RELLY nice.