Cave Story with a fourth ending

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:15 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Just played through the game; I think it's amazing, well done.
A few things I noticed (be advised I only played through the better best ending):
1) please take out the manual folders/files and the original readme, and put the saves in a folder.
2) couple spelling errors I found: "I'd love love to!" <-- Storehouse, Curly, post-undead core; also in Arthur's house post-sand zone there is a spelling error, but I can't remember where. Booster says it.
3) in the credits sequence, a text noise is heard before (e_Mimi) is shown, which indicates a code error. I'm clueless as to the credits coding, so sorry, I can't help you there.
4) in the prefab house, the empty chest with the nikumaru counter is blocking the bookshelf that lets you leave the house. A small thing, but meh.
5) by skipping the core battle you skip the waterway, which means that you miss out on the Ironhead battle. Because of this it is impossible to get the Alien medal, making it impossible to create a "perfect" save. I'm a fucker when it comes to this stuff, being a big completionist.

Other than that, great job!
Oh and thanks again for your help with my mod =3

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Professional Whatever
That still creates an imperfect save.
Doesn`t really matter though.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Based Member
Here's my response to MagicDoors:
MagicDoors said:
Just played through the game; I think it's amazing, well done.
Thank you!
MagicDoors said:
1) please take out the manual folders/files and the original readme, and put the saves in a folder.
Will do.
MagicDoors said:
2) couple spelling errors I found: "I'd love love to!" <-- Storehouse, Curly, post-undead core; also in Arthur's house post-sand zone there is a spelling error, but I can't remember where. Booster says it.
The first one, thank you for catching that. I put all the code I added in Arthur's house through a spell-check, and the only thing I got was Curly saying, "Thats... terrible." (There should be an apostrophe).
MagicDoors said:
3) in the credits sequence, a text noise is heard before (e_Mimi) is shown, which indicates a code error. I'm clueless as to the credits coding, so sorry, I can't help you there.
Aha, yes. I had the wrong event number set. Good catch.
MagicDoors said:
4) in the prefab house, the empty chest with the nikumaru counter is blocking the bookshelf that lets you leave the house. A small thing, but meh.
That is intentional. After defeating the undead core, a cutscene shows Booster, the mimigas, and the Sakamotos (including Kazuma) stuck in the storehouse. So, if you jump off the edge of the island, he won't be there to catch you, and you'll fall to your death. Not much to see there.
MagicDoors said:
5) by skipping the core battle you skip the waterway, which means that you miss out on the Ironhead battle. Because of this it is impossible to get the Alien medal, making it impossible to create a "perfect" save. I'm a fucker when it comes to this stuff, being a big completionist.
Well, I guess Dunc already pointed out that you can still get the alien medal.
MagicDoors said:
Other than that, great job!
Oh and thanks again for your help with my mod =3
Thank you! And I'm glad you appriciate my feedback on your mod.
So, here's the next version of this mod: Cave Story (4 endings) v1.05
Changes in this new version:

- Packaged the contents EVEN MORE neatly. (Requested by MagicDoors)
- Changed "Thats" to "That's", and "I'd love love to!" to "I'd love to!" (Thanks goes to MagicDoors for notifying me)
- Fixed minor bug in the credits end scene (Thanks goes to MagicDoors for notifying me)

All saves from versions 0.96 and above will be 100% compatible with this mod.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM
Professional Whatever
:D
Glad I could help!
And thanks again for rating my mod!

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Wow this is awesome ^_^

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Based Member
@MagicDoors Yes, you certainly were able to help!

@Mixer8421 Thank you!

@Kanpachi Thank you!

I was waiting to post on this topic once again until I released the next version, cause I didn't want to set myself up for a double-post, but I guess it will still be a few days before the next release, and I wanted to reply to you guys. :D Anyway, I've encountered some glitches with getting the other endings, and I've fixed that, but the real time-consuming thing now is that I'm adding a cutscene. Don't expect the next version to come out within the next few days, though.

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
So, I take it you found a solution for the mysteriously dislocated core, right? (Not asking of course what the solution is, that has to be a surprise).

Feb 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM
Based Member
Yeah, that's what I'm working on as of this post. The explanation isn't a ton, but it's better than nothing.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:38 AM
Based Member
So! Bump and double post because it's been a week since this thread's last post. Phew! It took a while due to how numerous and how big the changes were, but here's the next version: Cave Story (4 Endings) v1.24

Changes in this new version:

- Fixed the issues with the "Provided I only live..." in the prefab house, and wether it should or shouldn't appear.
- Fixed all the glitches I could find with the dialog in the black space for the fourth ending sometimes taking place when you're going for the other endings.
- Fixed the issue with not being able to get the normal ending.
- Changed "mid air" to "midair". Not sure which one is correct, but I realize "midair" is actually said at a certain point in Cave Story, so I want to be consistent.
- Capitalized Mimiga where it wasn't before.
- Added dialog for King, Toroko, Sue, and Jack if you've told Momorin you're busy.
- Changed "diong" to "doing" (lines said by Curly in the Plantation).
- In the room e_mimi, raised the tile up on which King stands so that he's not low down and hidden in the grass, and expanded the borders of the map so that the wall which prevents to Colons from falling off tha map is out of sight.
- Added a cutscene which plays when you first go to the Plantation which explains how the core got to the Black space. (Thanks goes to HardCore7777777 in real life, X-Calibar, and Duke Serkol for telling me I needed to add something like this. NOTE: You might be disappointed.)
- Fixed the glitch with King and Toroko appearing in jail if you skip fight with Curly, don't save King or Toroko, but give Booster the cure-all.
- Changed "accomodate" to "accommodate" -Nurse in the clinic.
- Added dialog in clinic for if you hand the cure-all over after getting out of the labyrinth, and also for if you fail to save professor Booster with it.
- Fixed the glitch with the horizontal/vertical trigger appearing in Jail number one if you skipped the fight with Curly, saved King and Toroko, but didn't give Booster the cure-all.
- Remedied the side effect of Quote's left antenna temporarily dissapearing when he drops down into the storehouse with Balrog and Curly.
- "This, however, turned out not to be the case;" changed to "This, however, proved false;" -Proffessor Booster
- Removed the space between the three dots and its continuing word it it's basically a continuation of the same sentence. Example: "That's... Terrible." Changed to "That's...terrible."
- Capitalized Booster where it previously wasn't.
- Added extra dialog with Mahin in jail for if you have the Mimiga mask.
- If you're going for the fourth ending, it says "Augmented Core," instead of "Undead Core," in the message box and credits.

If you lost count, that's 19 changes.

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:50 AM
Veteran Member
Yah! Awesomeness!

- Remedied the side effect of Quote's left antenna temporarily dissapearing when he drops down into the storehouse with Balrog and Curly.
That's a weird one. What caused it?

- Removed the space between the three dots and its continuing word it it's basically a continuation of the same sentence. Example: "That's... Terrible." Changed to "That's...terrible."
Uh, are you sure that's correct?
It may be the same sentence, but so it is when writing other kinds of punctation,such as a comma (I'm taking the chance to provide an example ;)).

Feb 28, 2012 at 3:58 AM
Based Member
That's a weird one. What caused it?
First of all, when Balrog drops down, this is supposed to cause Quote get shoved to the left side by Balrog. So, I real quick made the tiles to the left of Quote temporarily become solid so that he'd fall straight. This fixed that problem, but during the time that they were solid, Quote's left antenna was hidden. I realized while working on this version that there was a certain tile type that was not only solid, but also didn't cover up NPCs or your character. So by using this tile type instead, I was able to make it solid, and also let Quote's antenna appear over it.
Uh, are you sure that's correct?
It may be the same sentence, but so it is when writing other kinds of punctation,such as a comma (I'm taking the chance to provide an example ;)
No. I am not sure that's correct. The only reason I changed it to that was because that's the way it's done in Aeon Genisis' dialog, and I want my dialog to be as consistent with it as possible. That's also why I changed "mid air" to "midair" despite what google told me:

MidAir.jpg

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Who made the save edit that came with it? It's awesome. :)
9999hp, oh yeah! :D

Feb 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Based Member
Mar 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Downloading mod. Seems awesome.

EDIT:
Done downloading. I'll start playing it soon, provided I remember about playing it and that I'm not working on my mod...

SECOND EDIT:
I've finished the mod, and it's rather great, except for this:
I found a few glitches/bugs/whatever they're called. Two of them are minor, but the last one is major. Prevents continuation.
(1) GRAPHICS:
When firing a weapon that leaves a star, the third frame has a small blue stripe/line. It seems like it's the case with most mods, yet I'm probably the only one who noticed it. It's in the "Caret.bmp" file, above the Zs.
(2) TEXT:
The newest ending, at the Assembly Hall, when Curly says "Don't worry", "don't" is misspelt ("dont").
(3) MONSTER X BOSS:
When I reached him, he was missing, and his HP bar was all orange-gold, as if he lost all HP in one blow. I had to skip that part using the provided save games.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Veteran Member
There seem to be some problems with the new dialogues with Booster in the Labyrinth and Arthur's House. Nothing big, but sometimes there's empty lines inbetween (most likely caused by a <CLR not followed by text). I imagine they must have been present in the previous version too and I simply didn't notice (or more likely forgot about them by the time I stopped playing).

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:23 PM
Based Member
That's strange, I'll have to check these out. I guess I'll have to halt on Andwhy doing the port.
EDIT: Ok, let's see here.
Shane said:
(1) GRAPHICS:
When firing a weapon that leaves a star, the third frame has a small blue stripe/line. It seems like it's the case with most mods, yet I'm probably the only one who noticed it. It's in the "Caret.bmp" file, above the Zs.
I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about.
Shane said:
(2) TEXT:
The newest ending, at the Assembly Hall, when Curly says "Don't worry", "don't" is misspelt ("dont").
Aha, good catch.
Shane said:
(3) MONSTER X BOSS:
When I reached him, he was missing, and his HP bar was all orange-gold, as if he lost all HP in one blow. I had to skip that part using the provided save games.
It must be a problem with your computer, cause I just tested this part, and didn't encounter this glitch.
Duke Serkol said:
There seem to be some problems with the new dialogues with Booster in the Labyrinth and Arthur's House. Nothing big, but sometimes there's empty lines inbetween (most likely caused by a <CLR not followed by text). I imagine they must have been present in the previous version too and I simply didn't notice (or more likely forgot about them by the time I stopped playing).
I just went through those parts again, and I experienced no such problems. I'm not sure what to tell you, other than try it on another computer you have access to.

Anyway, there's at least one obvious glitch, so I'll fix that in the next release as well as change some other things. I was going to have the recent version be the final one, but I guess the fat lady isn't quite ready to sing yet.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:22 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
"I told you, that the day would come when I eventually would have to let you go." -Curly Brace
This mod was awesome. It's a sigh of relief for those that didn't want King or Toroko to die, or to those that wanted the best ending without leaving the Sakamotos. This mod is approved by :balrog: :koron: :mahin: :momo: :sue: :toroko2: :awesomeface: , and me.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:27 AM
Based Member
"I told you, that the day would come when I would have to leave and let you be with your kind." -Curly Brace
This mod was awesome. It's a sigh of relief for those that didn't want King or Toroko to die, or to those that wanted the best ending without leaving the Sakamotos. This mod is approved by :balrog: :koron: :mahin: :momo: :sue: :toroko2: :awesomeface: , and me.
Thank you! I'm glad that you liked it! Did you, by any chance, find any glitches, or do you have any suggestions on how I could improve it?