Cave Story with a fourth ending

Mar 4, 2012 at 5:16 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
"I told you that the day would eventually come, when I would have to let you go." -Curly Brace
This mod was awesome. It's a sigh of relief for those that didn't want King or Toroko to die, or to those that wanted the best ending without leaving the Sakamotos. This mod is approved by :balrog: :koron: :mahin: :momo: :sue: :toroko2: :awesomeface: , and me.
Thank you! I'm glad that you liked it! Did you, by any chance, find any glitches, or do you have any suggestions on how I could improve it?
So far, no suggestions! :) It's fine the way it is as far as I know! :)

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
So, a new version is out! You may either download it in the original post, or here: Cave Story (4 Endings) v1.29

Changes:

- Changed "Dont," to "Don't," - Curly in the assembly hall.
- Changed "greatful," to "grateful," - Nurse Hasumi.
- Changed "Mmm," to "Mm," - King in the hideout.
- Changed "Slip that through the bars will you?" to "Slip that through the bars, will you?" - King in Jail number one.
- Added another credit art illustration for the alternate scene in the clinic in which Curly isn't quite as badly wounded.

Mar 21, 2012 at 3:04 AM
Based Member
Alright people, the final version is out! I would like to thank Mixer8421, and DarkusRelling for there encouragement. And huge thank you goes to X-Calibar, Felidire, TPcool, Wizard The Wizzisential, N0obxD, MagicDoors, and Kanpachi for their feedback, support, and bug reports that helped this mod reach its final version! I would also like to give an extra special thank you to Dunc2403 and Duke Serkol for giving even more support and feedback on this mod than any of the other users! Thank you! Now that the final version is out, I have submitted this to Andwhyisit for porting. I am very glad that I got to do all the things I wanted this mod to be able to to without assembly, thereby preserving the portability! You may either download the final version in the original post, or here: Cave Story (4 endings) v1.34

Changes:

- Aligned the position of the blade floating in midair when King is zapped out of the Sand Zone, and when you have to retrieve it later on.
- The camera now focuses as far to the right in the cutscene in the Core room as it can, the tiles to the right with the piece of the core now make it look like it has disappeared. (Not that this mattered for the PC and MAC ports, but I'm not sure what would have happened in the PSP port)
- Made all the tiles part of the tunnel in the Sand Zone show up on the map system as solid.
- Tweaked the events that take place in Arthur's house when you try to go to the Egg Corridor when you shouldn't be.
- If you got the fourth endnig, Sue and Itoh show up as humans in the credits, and Itoh's text is changed from "Mimiga shaped coward," to "engineer of considerable talent,"

Mar 23, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Congrats on finalizing this! :mrgreen:

Mar 28, 2012 at 9:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
excellent mod 10 out of 10.
i like the cant touch this moment in the store house

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:12 PM
Based Member
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. But what do you mean by the "can't touch this," moment in the storehouse?

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
the cut scene where misery try's to Teleport quote to the labyrinth but he dodges them.
plus my promise to my self that find some way of saving toroko and king is finally done.
finally my troubbles have been put to rest that feeling of guilt that i let them die is final gone.
i owe it to you. :awesomeface:

Mar 28, 2012 at 4:03 PM
Based Member
the cut scene where misery try's to Teleport quote to the labyrinth but he dodges them.
Oh, you mean the Sand Zone Storehouse. Hehe, thanks.
plus my promise to my self that find some way of saving toroko and king is finally done.
finally my troubbles have been put to rest that feeling of guilt that i let them die is final gone.
i owe it to you. :awesomeface:
Hehe, glad my mod did that for you! :p

Mar 30, 2012 at 5:11 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
:D

I was able to save King and Toroko in this mod. :toroko2: The fourth ending was also interesting.

Nice mod!

Mar 30, 2012 at 6:48 PM
Based Member
Thank you! I'm glad you liked it!
Alright everyone, this mod is officially done, and ported! I would like to give a huge thank you to andwhyisit for making the Mac and PSP ports of this mod which can either be downloaded in the original post, or here:
Cave Story (4 endings) Mac
Cave Story (4 endings) PSP

So, now that this mod is finalized and ported, I'd have to say that I'm pretty much done with this thread. There's no major need for more posts to come in. But if the most recent post is less than two months ago, then feedback and semi on-topic discussion will still be welcome. If, however, the most recent post is later than two months ago, in which case there should be a big red banner on the top and bottom of this page telling you not to post in this topic, then you'd best not post here. Even if you discovered a glitch, I'm not going to fix it and make another release, cause I'm just done working on this mod. The final version is out, and any more bugs will stay in there.

The development thread of Cave Story with a Fourth Ending

The End

Mar 30, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
It would seem to be more useful to put this in the thread starter too because some people usually never read posts.
Might as well bold, italicize, and change the size and color, and post it at the top too while you're at it...
Speaking of which they might not read that too so do whatever you want.

ALSO GUYS YOU SHOULD READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ ANY OF THE THREAD OKAY

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:17 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Why is it that you can't keep the mimiga mask before going to the last cave? I know that HaydenStudios said that you can't keep it, but I'm just wondering why...

Also, is there any way to get King's Blade (without modifying a save)?

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Based Member
Why is it that you can't keep the mimiga mask before going to the last cave? I know that HaydenStudios said that you can't keep it, but I'm just wondering why...
Because keeping the Mimiga mask involves not getting the Booster back. And since Hell is mandatory if you're going for the fourth ending, you're going to absolutely need the booster.

Also, is there any way to get King's Blade (without modifying a save)?
Yes, you do get to wield it when you're going for the fourth ending, but I'm afraid only temporarily. And you can't get it up to level three during that time. But you do have to return it to King at a certain point. Sounds like you haven't actually played the mod, so I hope that doing so will answer any other questions of yours.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:06 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Sounds like you haven't actually played the mod, so I hope that doing so will answer any other questions of yours.

I am playing it now, and am about to go to the last cave. What I meant was "is there any way to permanently get King's Blade (without modifying a save)?"

Also, is there any way to get Curly's Air Tank (again, without modifying a save)?

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:09 AM
Based Member
What I meant was "is there any way to permanently get King's Blade (without modifying a save)?"
Oh, sorry. Then I'm afraid not. It is not possible.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:10 AM
Professional Whatever
Unless you're not going for the fourth ending of course.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:11 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Unless you're not going for the fourth ending of course.

That's pretty obvious... You get it automatically if you go for the original endings

EDIT: Is there any way to get Curly's air tank and still get the fourth ending?

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Based Member
EDIT: Is there any way to get Curly's air tank and still get the fourth ending?
Oh, I only just saw that, sorry. Nope. It is not possible to get the air tank and get the fourth ending. It seems like this should all be obvious if you've played the mod...

Apr 11, 2012 at 4:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I played it. I was just curious to see if there was any way at all to get it