Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Poster thing where?
Need to find guxt and ikachan

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:42 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There's a poster in Arthur's house. Not sure if anywhere else.

Mar 29, 2010 at 6:47 AM
*facepalm* can't believe I didn't see that. Oh wells, back to the closet of forgotten topics with ye, thread.

Mar 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
*gives the thread the stamp of the forgotten* Now, it can rest :p

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:29 AM
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
wait, what? Why would you infer that this thread's dead?! by jove, it's just begun!

It's time to play 'WHY DOES THIS SPRITE EXIST'

p97783-0-wcvenvb7545c306.png

- Soldier Mimiga in the top right. Looks like at least by his shirt he's been updated for Wii graphics.

- Itoh in Sue's shirt? What?

- Turtle/alligator sprite next to the chinfish?

- What the HELL'S up with that chinfish sprite? Is that what it looks like when it gets hurt but not killed, and I never noticed?

- Mimiga sitting down and eating/watching TV next to the Chie sprites?

- It's the unused human sprite again, updated for the higher resolution graphics..

- Shovel Brigade without shovels, to the right of their normal sprites

- Brown-shirted Mimiga I've never seen

- Blushing Mimiga I've never seen

- Balrog with a nurse cap?

BUT WAIT, there's more!

p97783-1-wcvenvc5d963496.png

- Toroko with a weird face and a green sword?

- Red Curly sprites?

- The unused yellow cat sprite... though it looks like the only thing NOT updated for the enhanced graphics

- Every version of Quote/Curly riding the sky dragon with Kazuma... including Mimiga mask variants. It's not normally possible to get the bad ending with the Mimiga mask, is it?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:38 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The blushing mimiga sprite is for when you keep talking to Chaco after you fight the Doctor, and she flatters you like the whore she is.

And the "green sword" is just when she chases you around with a stick at the beginning of the game.

Also, major props for ripping the sprites.

Edit: I just noticed, what the hell happened to Kanpachi's eyes?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:39 AM
brown shirted mimiga is IN THE GAME. Chies daddy or sumpin
Blush sprites areprolly for when chaco sez she wuvs u (in doctor fight).
balnurse is from the credits, as is weird human (I think)

you can get mimmask bad ending, it's just dumb.

wait...
SANTA QUOTE!

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM
Yakkers said:
Also, major props for ripping the sprites.

I didn't rip these, lol... my friend linked me to a mediafire of a sprite rip which I *think* he found from gamefaqs.

Lace: I don't mean the brown-shirted, shovel-less Shovel Brigade sprites... not Zett, the old Mimiga, I know who he is.

And the 'blushing Mimiga' sprites look like the Shovel Brigade too, it's not Chaco...

Kanpachi's eyes got upgraded! I think Pixel just wanted to do something to make them look more detailed than just 'lines'.

Aaaand how do you get the bad ending with the Mimiga mask, anyway? I thought that once you said 'no' to Kazuma he wouldn't offer again, even if you asked him, and once you go to the Plantation doesn't he leave the island for good?

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:44 AM
meep
"All your forum are belong to us!"
ragnaroq said:
And the 'blushing Mimiga' sprites look like the Shovel Brigade too, it's not Chaco...
It's the the other mimigas, in the hanging cages.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:45 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
A good question indeed. All of these sprites are, in actuality, in the PC version as well. There's tons of unused ones. The Toroko with the green thing is her when she attacks you in the hut, by the way >.>

From what I've gathered, they ran the graphics through a scale2x filter, then further refined them by hand. It's curious why they left them still though.

Mar 31, 2010 at 12:57 AM
Ignore kazuma, go up the outer wall, get the mask, hop down and fly away.
voila

Mar 31, 2010 at 1:02 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Noxid said:
A good question indeed. All of these sprites are, in actuality, in the PC version as well. There's tons of unused ones. The Toroko with the green thing is her when she attacks you in the hut, by the way >.>

From what I've gathered, they ran the graphics through a scale2x filter, then further refined them by hand. It's curious why they left them still though.

Pixel's not one to do minimal work and chance someone breaking his game.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:10 AM
Ah, I thought something was up since a lot of them looked like they had the extra resolution going on, but if you inspect carefully you can tell that some had extra care that the rest didn't... seems kinda weird that even the unused sprites had the 2x pixelcount thing going on but the yellow cat sprite looks like it still has the same amount as the PC version.

Anyway, i just found out that the brown shovel-less plantation mimigas are actually the prisoners in Jail No. 2.... I probably would have never even noticed had I not just happened to be playing through again right now to get the mimiga mask ending, lol

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:23 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ooh... sprite sheets! Thanks, ragnaroq!

...well, that goes my little project for the year! (I was planning to recreate the sprites by hand when the game was released, but it looks like that's no longer needed...)

Alright, let's see what questions we've got here...

ragnaroq said:
What the HELL'S up with that chinfish sprite? Is that what it looks like when it gets hurt but not killed, and I never noticed?
Egg Fish/Chinfish has 2 HP. Only possible if you have a weapon that does 1 damage (Lvl 1 Polar Star, Bubbline/Bubbler, lvl 3 Nemesis)

ragnaroq said:
Brown-shirted Mimiga I've never seen
The Mimiga (Mimigas?) who shared the same jail as Kazuma and Prof. Booster.

ragnaroq said:
Blushing Mimiga I've never seen
After fighting the red crystal-consumed Doctor, talk to Chako. After a brief spiel on your fighting ability, talk to her again, and she is reminded of Arthur. Apparently, that certain Mimiga left a big impression on the others, causing them to blush upon the remark, as well as hearts popping above their heads. (a good way to refresh yourself if you lost some HP during the three battles)

yakkers said:
I just noticed, what the hell happened to Kanpachi's eyes?
Staring down at the water for that long, I wouldn't be surprised a fisherman like Kanpachi would have sagging eyelids.

...or he's just luring you to drop your guard before he unleashes his fury upon your scrawny head.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM
dqle said:
After fighting the red crystal-consumed Doctor, talk to Chako. After a brief spiel on your fighting ability, talk to her again, and she is reminded of Arthur. Apparently, that certain Mimiga left a big impression on the others, causing them to blush upon the remark, as well as hearts popping above their heads. (a good way to refresh yourself if you lost some HP during the three battles)

Yeah, I JUST tried this for the first time as I'm at that point on my mimiga mask ending run... I don't know why, but I never, ever did this before, and I usually talk to NPCs in any game multiple times in case they might do something special like this. Totally weird, and would have come in SUPER handy so many times in the past.. I almost feel stupid, but I'm glad I finally know about it, at least! And yeah, that's what that sprite's from, alright..

It's kinda weird how they all seem to be blushing at just the mere mention of Arthur's name, and not Chako/co herself. I wish we ever got to see what Arthur looked like, lol.

*edit* Okay, and it looks like Balrog-nurse happens in the Mimiga ending (or maybe even just the normal ending as long as you get the booster 2.0, but don't do Hell, which replaces him with Pooh Black) so that explains *that* one too..

Hah, that was cool how they put mimiga mask Quote in some of the scenes, though it'd be cool if it were all of them, even though it just shows the stuff you actually did WITH the mask on...

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:57 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Ah, Arthur. Great Mimiga defender who sealed away the Red Ogre. If only we knew more about that guy.

As for blushing for Arthur? Maybe's he's an attractive guy? He's gotta be at least physically fit to stop the Mimiga eater.

Ah, I knew I saw that Balrog once...

And I still gotta try the mask out...!

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:16 AM
Yeah both the cat sprite and the man with a cigarette were both in the "special thanks to" in the original game, which was replaced with a lengthy credits sequence with all the developers who worked on the CSWii port. I don't know why they kept only those two sprites, there were at least four others (a save spot and a health refill with faces, a treasure chest with arms, MALCO with Jack's hat)

Mar 31, 2010 at 3:22 AM
cultr1 said:
Yeah both the cat sprite and the man with a cigarette were both in the "special thanks to" in the original game, which was replaced with a lengthy credits sequence with all the developers who worked on the CSWii port. I don't know why they kept only those two sprites, there were at least four others (a save spot and a health refill with faces, a treasure chest with arms, MALCO with Jack's hat)

Man, was all that really in the PC version or was it dummied out and you just found out it was SUPPOSED to be? If it really was in the PC version, I feel ashamed, as I haven't beaten it in so many years I really don't at all remember. Before I mess with any hacks, I need to just beat the dang game on PC for once since 2007. Maybe I should try to get a Hell Run character theme better than just Curly this time, too...

Oh, speaking of that, did anyone ever find out if you can unlock different themes in the Wii version? Like, at least different title music?

Apr 2, 2010 at 7:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
cultr1 said:
Yeah both the cat sprite and the man with a cigarette were both in the "special thanks to" in the original game, which was replaced with a lengthy credits sequence with all the developers who worked on the CSWii port.
The special thanks part of the Wii version's credits contains over 50 names. It makes sense to drop the sprites.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Noxid said:
Slightly more effeminate than I'd imagined but awesome nonetheless.

Oh, oh. You know why that is? Because it's not Quote! They just drew over HUMAN SUE'S unused face and fooled you all! :D