Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate

May 26, 2009 at 9:44 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
yes, the mod is pretty awesome, but please but some skipflags in.

May 26, 2009 at 10:08 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Oh, but I did!

Lace said:
yes, the mod is pretty awesome, but please but some skipflags in.
Oh, but I did!!
Did you see the edit of the first post? I put a new update on there with skipflags!!
:D
I'm just waiting for someone to say if they're working fully and covering the right scenes....
{The tests I tried, they seemed to be working, but I always miss something...}

May 27, 2009 at 1:31 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Bleh...

Bleh... I'm too lazy to start a mod...

I'd rather help someone else... >_>

May 27, 2009 at 2:08 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Blargh

Safusaka said:
Bleh... I'm too lazy to start a mod...

I'd rather help someone else... >_>
I still can't load up that site.....

May 27, 2009 at 3:21 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
May 27, 2009 at 4:08 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Well, that's great. :D

Hmm... So this isn't a waste of a post, I thought I'd post something useful.

There's a thing in Cave Story that that gets a thing that fixes that thing... with the... thing... Oh crap, that wasn't useful at all... Wait, why don't I just erase all this and start over...?

Well, nevermind, I think I remember now...

I liked the quiz part where Balrog was spazzing out.

Now wait, that wasn't useful either...

Well, it's your fault for reading my useless texts, nao, isn't it?! :rolleyes:

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Minimizal issue

Doubt anyone else has noticed this issue, as it only happens when you minimize, and why would anyone do that during the game?
Besides me, of course, when I go to make subtle changes while playing...

Anyways, there's this strange issue regarding one of the new sprite sheets I made.
I've got a few ideas to fix it, but I'm not sure which to use, and I thought I'd ask and see if anyone's had the same problem with their own mods...

Ok, whenever sprite sheet "Guests(Special Cutscenes)" is used {Say, during the GSp fight, when he's down on the ground, or whenever you see Khan being electrocuted or burnt}, if you minimized, the sheet gets jumbled and either:
A) the sprite goes blank
or B) the sprite changes into something else completely {For instance, in one of the second part's room, this sprite became Fallen Jenka, and then Omega's left {Right to us} eyeball..}

So, anyone else had the same problem before?
Or am I just the biggest magnet to bugs, ever :D

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:08 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Well, I finished your mod, although it took some time due to other concerns that got in the way of my play time.

A couple of notes:
-Some saves in the caves would be nice every now and then. Especially near that Security Check point. A mod's no fun when you have to go back and do 10 min of work because you jump on some death spikes
-So far its difficulty is pretty easy, which isn't too bad. Work on save placement though
-What is this, a novel? The dialogue is all very good, but there's too much. At this rate the player will get bored of reading, especially if they have to view cutscenes as long as these twice. Try to cut down on your script, this is a game afterall. Unless you AIM TO SURPASS MGS4 in cutscene time. In which case, I'll use the verb "watch" when refering to the playing of your mod. (ex. Right now I'm gonna go watch Cave Story: The Lost Mage and Pirate.)
-Do you really need credits at this point? I'd save those for the FINAL release (or the release when pretty much all the content is out). Not really all that informative at this point, and more or less just a distraction from the gameplay.
-To be honest, this mod lacks a bit on the gameplay aspect. Nothing too interesting with level designs, mostly just lots of rooms with lotsa critters. Advice: Be creative. Also, the boss idea is a good one, that is changing the environment to make it harder. Not that challenging though, especially for cave story veterans. Still good.
-Story-wise, you got something good. But don't overload us with stor- oh wait, you're not really. You're mostly overloading us with random comments from Lowell and such every 5 seconds, and refering to the point up there (the one I made with cutscenes), tone it down a bit.
-Graphics are okay, although you haven't given us much new stuff in terms of weapons.
-Also, as far as I'm concerned, Marx suffered from a stroke awhile back. That's my theory there.

Pretty good so far though.

Jun 2, 2009 at 5:16 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
You need to make Marx a lighter color. His fur is too vibrant and looks kinda... Dumb.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:47 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Comments?

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-Some saves in the caves would be nice every now and then. Especially near that Security Check point. A mod's no fun when you have to go back and do 10 min of work because you jump on some death spikes
That's the whole point of the Security Checkpoint.
It's suppose to be another deterrent to dieing, else you'll have to spend all of that time doing it over again, but I'll see about another save point or two...
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-So far its difficulty is pretty easy, which isn't too bad. Work on save placement though
It's suppose to be easy, for now.
I didn't want to throw intense platforming challenges right at the beginning of the game...
{Not that there's really any at all, yet :D}
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-What is this, a novel? The dialogue is all very good, but there's too much. At this rate the player will get bored of reading, especially if they have to view cutscenes as long as these twice. Try to cut down on your script, this is a game afterall. Unless you AIM TO SURPASS MGS4 in cutscene time. In which case, I'll use the verb "watch" when refering to the playing of your mod. (ex. Right now I'm gonna go watch Cave Story: The Lost Mage and Pirate.)
*Never played MGS4*
Iono about Dialogue, yet. It might be long right now because it's still the begining, but I might keep it somewhere near the same length in all of the next parts....
Just depends.
Then again, we might be too use to Quote's non-talkive-ness =D
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-Do you really need credits at this point? I'd save those for the FINAL release (or the release when pretty much all the content is out). Not really all that informative at this point, and more or less just a distraction from the gameplay.
Like I said eariler, the credits are more for me then anything.
Now that they're set up, I can just add stuff as I go along.
It's also where I list credit to people who've helped me, so far...
That, and I'd hate to just end a part with a blank screen :D;
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-To be honest, this mod lacks a bit on the gameplay aspect. Nothing too interesting with level designs, mostly just lots of rooms with lotsa critters. Advice: Be creative. Also, the boss idea is a good one, that is changing the environment to make it harder. Not that challenging though, especially for cave story veterans. Still good.
Same as the eariler reply, it's going to be easy at first, but'll get harder and harder. {Just wait until you're on the outside of the Island. Not like Outer Wall, though >=D}
Bosses will be even tougher, with your much lower HPs, and, if I can get it to work, constantly shuffling terrain....
Well, you'll see what I mean in the next part.... :D

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-Story-wise, you got something good. But don't overload us with stor- oh wait, you're not really. You're mostly overloading us with random comments from Lowell and such every 5 seconds, and refering to the point up there (the one I made with cutscenes), tone it down a bit.
Randomness? Mostly because you can't hear the entire story yet, just being the first part.
I think you could compare Lowell's comments to a LPer, though, or something...
Those will most likely stay, :D
{Everyone else, 'cept Captain of course, seems to like them anyway}
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-Graphics are okay, although you haven't given us much new stuff in terms of weapons.
Don't worry, newer and more original weapons will appear, hopefully even in the next part....
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
-Also, as far as I'm concerned, Marx suffered from a stroke awhile back. That's my theory there.
Heheheh...
Fire1052 said:
You need to make Marx a lighter color. His fur is too vibrant and looks kinda... Dumb.
That's the point.
He doesn't look like a very good Mimiga, does he?

Anyways, thanks for the comments, :D
But, no complaints on the Doctor, Misery, or Balrog scenes? I was afraid of not doing the characters justice....
Hopefully I'll be able to force myself to do more work, now.
I just wish Lace could finish that Horizontal control TSC command.....I really need it for the next part...

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention in my last post. Your mod is suffering from the dreaded "jerky camera motion syndrome". This happens when you don't use <FOM0016 at the end of a cutscene. Go through your cutscenes and make sure they all end with <FOM0016 even if you <TRA to a new map.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:30 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
wedge of cheese said:
Oh yeah, something I forgot to mention in my last post. Your mod is suffering from the dreaded "jerky camera motion syndrome". This happens when you don't use <FOM0016 at the end of a cutscene. Go through your cutscenes and make sure they all end with <FOM0016 even if you <TRA to a new map.
Actually, it mostly happens during cut-scenes where I have to move Lowell to a certain spot to make everything work properly, but I could never figure out how to fix it.
Thanks, :D

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:17 PM
Banned
Lift... Lowering... Forever... Endlessly...

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Heh?

Fire1052 said:
Lift... Lowering... Forever... Endlessly...
You mean you found a glitch?
Or are you just pointing out how annoying the Security Checkpoint is?
It's suppose to be super annoying and slow :D

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Banned
And it is.

Edit: Why does my gun drop to level one and not tell me right before the Balrog fight?

The lift after Balrog makes no sound or shakey like the others, and it says "Rasising."

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:28 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I gave up after turning around to stay away from a jumping critter only to shoot the Rock Ogre in the head after returning from the generator (This is just after the security checkpoint).

Jun 8, 2009 at 4:36 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Surprise!

Fire1052 said:
Edit: Why does my gun drop to level one and not tell me right before the Balrog fight?
Well, er, um....
...Surprise!!! :rolleyes:
{Fight's too easy otherwise, no?}
{I mean the surprise part, not just the level down}
Fire1052 said:
The lift after Balrog makes no sound or shakey like the others, and it says "Rasising."
That's because it's in better condition than the Security Checkpoint ones {Well, really, it's because I can't have the rumble noise when the Air Conditioners are on}, and that's how I spell it =D
DimJim said:
I gave up after turning around to stay away from a jumping critter only to shoot the Rock Ogre in the head after returning from the generator (This is just after the security checkpoint).
What, too hard already...?
I haven't even started using complicated platform areas....
:D

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:47 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I ask you for ZIP file.

Will you make? Y/N

Jun 19, 2009 at 10:51 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Uhm

Nope, I can only do .rar's
WinRar's easy to get and install, just ask one of your computer's Admins to do it for you....