Cave Story ~ The Lost Mage and Pirate

May 21, 2009 at 4:31 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Lazy-ness

dooey100 said:
The dialogue is awesome, don't change it unless you can somehow make it funnier! But yeah, its only funny the first time, so skipflags would be nice. I know you said in the OP that you wanted to avoid them except for bosses, why is that?

It was the "thats a big shutter" one. The critter on the bottom floor attacked Lowell while he was busy talking to himself.

Haha yeah that is actually pretty funny, but please try and make it a bit clearer. (Or maybe everyone else got it just fine and I have weird eyes?)
Well, I'm pretty lazy, and the only real times I've died in my own mod have been during the boss fights, XD
Skipflags for them are easy to make, but for some other cut-scenes, it'll be a bit tougher...
Or I'm just lazy, take your pick =D

And, oh, that one? I'll probably have to work with flags to fix that...
I forgot about that cut-scene XD
And what should I make a bit clearer...?
Maybe I have weird eyes =D

Also, Captain, Khan said he did base it off King, so nice spotting, XD

May 21, 2009 at 4:43 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
XD

dooey100 said:
The OVER 9000 in the experience bar. also, pmed you
Heh, I guess I'lll work on that.....
Wanted to make it look similar to the old one, being a Cave Story mod and all.
But I want you to be able to read it even more XD
And I'll try to check it now, but might not be able to reply, gotta go 30 minutes ago....:D

May 21, 2009 at 4:46 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Too lame; didn't play.
(I'll try this when I get home.)

May 21, 2009 at 4:53 AM
Been here way too long...
He didn't get attacked when I played. Probably because the Critter feared my cold, merciless revenge.

May 21, 2009 at 5:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
I was going to comment on the dialogue actually being funny and interesting and well-timed and surprisingly not-annoying considering how long the scenes are, and how it was a pleasant change from Schism where the dialogue gets very annoying the FIRST time.

Then I died after getting the Void Star and found out that you didn't put skipflags in.

NOT. HAPPY. JAN.

May 21, 2009 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
DoubleThink said:
Then I died after getting the Void Star and found out that you didn't put skipflags in.

Lol, that happened to me like 4 TIMES. But in the end I got very good at dodging critters, so I had enough HP. But seriously, you need a save, or a life refill point in Marx's house. Not to mention that his erratic speech (did he have a stroke a couple years back? that's what it seems like) makes the conversation long, which is okay the first time. Also, I died at the bridge from those cyclops things, and then I DIED, which made it so that I had to start all the way in the beginning of the cave before the Security check point. Seriously, you need a save at the bridge or something, for redoing about a half an hour of work is no fun. And yes, skippable cutscenes is a must, as I learned when people played the nearly impossible tetris part of my mod WTF-story, which didn't skip the scene in v 0.2, making people view the cutscene every time they loaded their save pretty much. So be sure to, at the very least, use a <SAT (speed up all text). And I'd change all the waits in marx's conversations to <NODs, so that they're not so time consuming. I'll get back to you with more once I finish the mod, I would've finished it by now but I'm a bit bummed that I have to restart all the way back at the cave before the Security Checkpoint. Speaking of the checkpoint, you could just make it so that the blocks move when you press the switch. You don't necessarily have to make the game freeze in script mode while the blocks are moving. The player SHOULD still be able to ride them (haven't tested this myself, so no guarantees). Might just want to remove that elevator altogether, it is quite time consuming. Can't WAIT TO RIDE IT AGAIN when I go through there again. But you've got a good mod here, don't give up. And fix those BackGrounds please, don't tell me you don't know how, as I know you do.

May 21, 2009 at 11:41 AM
squidward
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
You know what's weird?

I somehow knew that this mod was going to be released today. Er, well yesterday for me...

But I guessed a pirate would be in this mod... I was right.
for some weird reason, I got bored of dying after Marx and started to make
a robot ninja. >_>

Edit: Also, is the elevator supposed to say rasising? o_o

May 21, 2009 at 10:04 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Sorry...

Ok, ok...!
I guess since I had to play through my own mod so many times, I pretty much ignored the dialogue, but I'll go back and set up more flags and save points, now that I've had enough comments on it...:)
I'm afraid to add backgrounds, though, because I'd have to delete the old rooms to fix the new ones in the 94 map limit {Or was it 95?}. But a good portion of this mod should take place in slightly familiar places {Although, most will be different....heh...can't wait until near the end..} and I just copied and...Oh, Duh!!
I'll just copy all the old maps, delete the originals, and that way all of mine will be in the front ^.^
Er, but what about new maps...
No wait, I could just copy the next map in line, and edit over the original!! {Ignore this, I'll use it as reference for myself, later. I do my best thinking at the randomnest times.}
So I guess I've got a lot of stuff to do before starting on the next part :D;
{There's also the beginning thing and a few other bits to fix, so I'll probably have a re-load soon...}

And, you started to make a robot ninja...?
Is everyone calling GSp a ninja because of all of the smoke around him...? XD
I used all the smoke to keep to his Gray colour-scheme....
But now I find it funny to imagine him as a Ninja when he teleports at the end of the fight, XD
Although, you might not think that in the next part....
Mwhahaha.....
And, er...
I don't know if the Elevator's suppose to say that, XD
I have a horrible time with spelling {Thank god for the forum's auto-checker}, and even after checking myself several times, Khan found a few grammatical and spelling errors before the release >.>;

And about allowing the Player to ride the lifts of his own accord, I found that to be too risky.
I'm sure someone's just wanting to push the lift up at the very start, and then jump down and get stuck at the bottom with the giant shutter, >.>;
Plus, the Secruity Checkpoint's suppose to be slow and annoying as hell, >=D
That way, you wouldn't want to die and go through all of that crap again....

EDIT:
Oh yeah. Like I said, Marx is suppose to sound weird when he talks.
It's like someone from the US doing a really crappy Asian accent....
...or something.
Also, notice he didn't have his weird, loud-stutters when Khan confronted him?
>=D

May 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM
94 map limit
it's 108, and I've posted how to fix it at least three times.
but I'm a nice person so heres how ya do it.
open up a hex editor, go to address 414b24, and change 80 to a bigger number. it's best to have it at the number of maps you have, though, because it'll be faster.

May 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Lace said:
it's 108, and I've posted how to fix it at least three times.
but I'm a nice person so heres how ya do it.
open up a hex editor, go to address 414b24, and change 80 to a bigger number. it's best to have it at the number of maps you have, though, because it'll be faster.
108?
I've already reached 111 with just this first part....
And if you fixed it, why didn't you comment on GIR's CE Background fix thingy?
Or are you talking about SW? {Which I don't use, =D}

EDIT:
Hey Cheese, <SAT sucks >.>;
It likes to merge everything on the very first line XD
So it'll be awhile for the Skip flags, gotta add all of the <TURs to each and every bit...

Nevermind, I just remembered my experience with the computers....

May 22, 2009 at 2:13 AM
what?
108 (actually, 128, sorry) is the maximum amount of maps cs can have without crashing. It has nothing to do with cave editor and backgrounds. Or sues, for that matter.

80 is the amount of space that is reserved in the ram for maps, so no matter what editor you use, you would still have that problem.

I also probably mis interpereatied your earlier post, but this should still affect you.

May 22, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Oh yeah, one other thing I wanted to mention. I don't see how it's much use now, but...
I don't like your title.
I know that it describes exactly wha the mod is about, but I think the title is too long and obvious. You probably can't and won't change it, but I must say it.

May 22, 2009 at 2:19 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D

Lace said:
what?
108 (actually, 128, sorry) is the maximum amount of maps cs can have without crashing. It has nothing to do with cave editor and backgrounds. Or sues, for that matter.

80 is the amount of space that is reserved in the ram for maps, so no matter what editor you use, you would still have that problem.

I also probably mis interpereatied your earlier post, but this should still affect you.
Oh jeeze, really?
I guess I've got some maps to delete...
Captain Fabulous said:
Oh yeah, one other thing I wanted to mention. I don't see how it's much use now, but...
I don't like your title.
I know that it describes exactly wha the mod is about, but I think the title is too long and obvious. You probably can't and won't change it, but I must say it.
Actually, it's suppose to be cheesy, silly, and slightly stupid.
That, and I really can't think up anything else that would accurately describe the mod...
Remember, this is kinda like a Parody. {But it'll explain some theories of Cave Story, too...}
And it'll have it's serious moments.

May 22, 2009 at 2:54 AM
*facepalm*
you don't need to delete maps cause I just told you how to get rounds it!

May 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hrm

Lace said:
*facepalm*
you don't need to delete maps cause I just told you how to get rounds it!
Wait, you just said 128's the max numbah of maps, correctness?
And I've reached the number 111, yesno?
Thus the deletion of the original maps is required for further modifications, Mimi?
Or is 128 the max until I edit the number with my Hex Editor...?

EDIT:
Also, for the skipflags, I was thinking...
Do we really want to just have everything sped up? We've already read it, why not just get the option to skip it entirely?
There's also some other, funnier, ideas....

May 22, 2009 at 5:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
VoidMage_Lowell said:
EDIT:
Do we really want to just have everything sped up? We've already read it, why not just get the option to skip it entirely?
...Isn't that what skipflags DO?

May 22, 2009 at 6:49 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
VoidMage_Lowell said:

EDIT:
There's also some other, funnier, ideas....

Lol it would be kinda cool if for some cutscenes it would put you down because you died, so the dialogue would change a little bit every time you died. That would be pretty hilarious. Only for some though, because you still want some skippable/sped up, especially if it's a long cutscene.

May 22, 2009 at 12:10 PM
that would be great. xD
btw, voidmage, tis the max til you change it.

May 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
=D!

DoubleThink said:
...Isn't that what skipflags DO?
Yes, but, in DB's TDP, the SkipFlag for Curly's chat just made all the text instantaneous, and in some parts of Cave Story, they did the same thing...
I was thinking {And already have added in} of making entire cut-scenes skippable, so, for instance, you just got Marx to remove the grate and you're suppose to go see a chat between the Doctor and Misery, and then another chat between Lowell and Khan; if you hit skip, you'd just end up in the corridor with Khan all ready to move.
{Once again, I haven't played many other mods yet. I just thought it up and I don't know how many other mods have made use of it, XD}
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Lol it would be kinda cool if for some cutscenes it would put you down because you died, so the dialogue would change a little bit every time you died. That would be pretty hilarious. Only for some though, because you still want some skippable/sped up, especially if it's a long cutscene.
Now you're starting to think like me =D
EDIT:
Infact, with Lace's TSC hacks, I should be able to change, or maybe even make random, the death comments for whenever Lowell dies, :D

Lace said:
that would be great. xD
btw, voidmage, tis the max til you change it.
You spelt 'Tis wrong, :D
But I'll still have to delete maps inorder to get the backgrounds working...