Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:01 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm sort of baffled at how you're supposed to fight the gaudsketeers. First off, they fire such a ridiculous number of projectiles that not getting hit for more than five seconds is nearly impossible. Second, my weapons don't seem to always damage them. Missile spam knocked off half their health in a few seconds then stopped working altogether. Am I supposed to hit them in the back or something?

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Brickman said:
I'm sort of baffled at how you're supposed to fight the gaudsketeers. First off, they fire such a ridiculous number of projectiles that not getting hit for more than five seconds is nearly impossible. Second, my weapons don't seem to always damage them. Missile spam knocked off half their health in a few seconds then stopped working altogether. Am I supposed to hit them in the back or something?
Quick answer: Only one of the Gaudsketeers will be vulnerable at a time. It's up to you to figure out which one!

It's VERY helpful if you find the blade beforehand; obviously, you could spam the level 2 for massive damage, but the problem is that you have to find the correct one first, not to mention the short range of the weapon and that all four will be launching their... limbs at you. I particularly found that level 3 was useful: fire and forget. King's slashes will go through multiple enemies at a time, and does pretty good damage against such large sprites.

To keep the blade alive at level three, use Booster 2.0. If you can survive up to Heavy Press in the original game with more than half your health, then you're good to go.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:22 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
Half health? I'd be happy if I can get to Heavy Press with 16 HP left!

... granted, that's speedrunning and without having used the lifepot yet.

I think I just bladespammed the Gaudsketeers, then switched to missiles and missilespammed them until I was out, then switched back to blade until they were dead.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:11 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
So in other words, if I wasn't lucky enough to have found the blade back in genesis air, I'm screwed?

How often do they switch?

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:36 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
If you don't have the blade (I didn't) you can jump into a lower corner and missile spam until one of them dies, and the next should be at about half if you are lucky. Then use fireball/bubbler to finish them. If you don't manage to kill the first with the missile spam, just practice dodging because you are pretty much screwed for any chance of beating them.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:11 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
DoubleThink said:
Well unless the link has magically changed since last time I downloaded it then yes, I am sure.

Ok, I just wanna to make sure I play up-to-date version :D

I started play this mod yesterday and I encountered some difficulties. In the First Cave I can't get two Life Capsules. In the Mimiga Village I can't get another two Capsules and one chest. Is there any chance to get these items now or I have to get Booster first? And one more thing. In Reservoir, I can't go through the water, but not because of drowning, just because of wind which blows me away.

PS. I hope you understand what I wrote (I'm not english-speaking :o)

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:03 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I thought it was pretty obvious that those unreachable items in the first few areas were intended to be unreachable until you got the booster.

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:31 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I thought the same, but I wasn't sure because in original version there wasn't (as I remember) such situation with Life Capsules.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:06 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Indeed, I think this may be the first MetroidVania I've ever played where you didn't have to double back for incremental health/ammo upgrades. Two hidden weapons and an upgrade for one of them, and you can grab everything else in the game in one run (including the arms barrier if you use the machinegun).

Dec 8, 2008 at 12:44 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
After just playing this version of Cave Story...I can't believe I missed this after playing the original about 3 years ago.

This version is just...epic. I only worry about the moment when I get to the end of this version. I'm stuck in the Labrynith, I got the Address Chip but I got to find that Great White Critter. I'll find it eventually, but I just had to say how great of a game this has been. It feels good to flex my Cave Story muscles again. ^^

Dec 22, 2008 at 5:26 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Is this mod closed? Cuz it seems to be incompleted... and I cannot zip link cannot be access...

Anyone has an active link to this mod?

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:47 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The download link works for me o_O
This being the one in the first post, yes?

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It works now!

And WOW, this mod can almost be Cave Story Expansion!!!

NICE STORY! Man, this continues the magic of Cave Story!

I hope it can be continued till completion, the plot is on par with the original!

Nice story plot thinking there I have to admit, Genesis path or Oblivion path... wow, indeed it fits the Dreamy "Nightmare" title very, VERY well...

Excellant 5/5 stars mod!

Dec 23, 2008 at 6:14 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Some Design problems:

The platforms that are "hollow" and can be walkthough are not distinctly seperated from those that are "solid"... maybe that will be more intuative to more casual players =D

There may be blind spots in the original Cave Story, but there is always the Map Viewer for the players to seek clues and secrets with...

It seems that most of the secret are luck base/trial and error = frustration, unlike Cave Story where secret passages have some signs or idications that will have the player smack themselves saying "Why I did not notice it earlier!?" and have a good laugh at it...

Hope there will be more hindsights like the ones below =D
p4925-0-renkanightmarelifepot.jpg

Also some design glitches...
1> Why there are Frenzied Mimiga in the "Pipeworks"? Shouldnt those roaches "Gaudi" make more senses?
2> Why does the "Black Ghost" returns as a boss? I thought in the Good End if Ballos is defeated, he picks up nursing from the Froggie Docter to tend to the "Gaudi" Roaches?
3> The GrassTown is a total maze... hope more hints at what needs to be done... I was lucky I have to say...
4> Quote got the Missile Expansion in GrassTown before the Missile Launcher in Sand Zone...
5> The SandZone is a bigger puzzling puzzled maze... I dunno how I manage to get pass it... got to count onto my lucky stars... anyway it looks not properly implemented...

It would be better if the level design is less punishing for mistakes...

Last of all, the cutscenes are A++ rated! Wonderfully done... Esp the scene on Balrog enveloped by the sand, had me rofl!

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Cave Story: Jenka's Nightmare has been translated to Japanese.
Someone has translated it and uploaded it to http://doukutsu.bex.jp/.

Why not someone take the place of Shmitz and continue scripting it?

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 78
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Very nice
you've inspired me to make some kind of mod thing cause i've learned how to edit sprites but i'm having some trouble cause the door in the first room, which is quite long so i can't really edit it but the door won't work, it just goes to the scene where kazuma is trying to communicate with sue with the computer.

Is there any chance you could tell me how to make doors go to the map you want them to?

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
A Jenka's Nightmare Let's Play!

Hey everyone, guess what?

Bright Roar (Also known as Cherrypie91 on YouTube) has been doing an LP of Jenka's Nightmare (which started about a month ago), and visited our modest forums, searching for the solution to the Genesis: Spirit puzzle area (As hinted here around 2:24 in the video). How honored are we, eh?

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
30 seconds honoured?
I like this guy though, he sound like he's perpetually advertising something.

Jan 9, 2009 at 3:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Bad Beholder said:
Hey everyone, guess what?

Bright Roar (Also known as Cherrypie91 on YouTube) has been doing an LP of Jenka's Nightmare (which started about a month ago), and visited our modest forums, searching for the solution to the Genesis: Spirit puzzle area (As hinted here around 2:24 in the video). How honored are we, eh?

I was actually coming here to figure out what the heck the Controller does in JN only to find out I've been mentioned here? Very cool. And yes, I do hate that puzzle and needed to search here for a solution to it among other things. I'll definitely give you guys a bigger mention than before as I come to the end of this LP.