Cave Story+ Beta Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2011 at 1:56 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I will wait for the next build that fixes saving before continuing to test... I don't want to introduce any external factors into the testing because I am anal about that kind of thing.

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:17 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It keeps the old save file when you fix it, if you want to you can just use the old one again when the next build comes. It's better than doing nothing. :p

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:57 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Carrotlord said:
New version of Save Fixer!

Save Fixer version 1.1

Dunno if it'll work on prefab, but you should be able to recover more kinds of saves now. Try it out.

How do you actually run your fixer. I have java installed on my computer and it still doesnt run it. I even set the file association for the program as the javaw.exe.

Do i need the JDK to run it or something?

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:14 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
Edit:One more thing for Carrotlord.
Remember all of those empty spaces that you saw in the save file? Maybe those would be used as a save area for mods.

Perhaps. But if that's the case, I don't get why it's not a dynamically growing/shrinking save file. It wouldn't be terribly hard to implement such a thing.

xristosx said:
How do you actually run your fixer. I have java installed on my computer and it still doesnt run it. I even set the file association for the program as the javaw.exe.

Do i need the JDK to run it or something?

No, you don't need the JDK. You need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), which most people should already have.

The normal way is to double click the JAR file and see if it runs a program, but apparently that's not working in this case.

You may want to check the following links:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/394616/running-jar-file-in-windows
http://www.wikihow.com/Run-a-.Jar-Java-File
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-run-a-jar-file-302405.html#post1755891
(I didn't read these very carefully, but they might help)

You could also try to update Java to see if that helps:
Check online: do I have the latest version of Java?
Download Java

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:46 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Noxid said:
I think the first three bytes of the next slot (44 6F 30) were being overwritten (00 00 00). These can be found from $61F to $621 in Profile_b.dat. Although I could be wrong. Other than that both save slots loaded perfectly in the original CS.

In any case I may need a working Profile.dat (with two or more used slots) to compare with. Is that possible as well?

Oct 25, 2011 at 2:54 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I have all the saves
(actually I just drafted that one up really quick so it's just three saves at start point)

Oct 25, 2011 at 4:05 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Alright, not only are the first three bytes of the following slot overwritten but the first slot ended 1 byte too early. Bizzarre.

Try this and let me know how it goes:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x3s21q192v6zent

Oct 25, 2011 at 9:34 PM
Just wondering: If you save in one of the bad areas and then save in a good one without reloading, will the save still become corrupted?

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:04 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Alright, not only are the first three bytes of the following slot overwritten but the first slot ended 1 byte too early. Bizzarre.

Try this and let me know how it goes:
http://www.mediafire.com/?x3s21q192v6zent

Unfortunately it's still giving me corrupted ]:
Haven't got a clue why at this point..

@mr. traveler it should be alright.

Oct 25, 2011 at 10:27 PM
Byakuran1195 said:
It keeps the old save file when you fix it, if you want to you can just use the old one again when the next build comes. It's better than doing nothing. :awesomeface:

My justification is that if the save corruption is in fact deeper than it appears, it could have ramifications throughout the game that either fix some bugs or create new ones. Either way, new playthrough required. Tis part of the fun!

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
THE DEV HAS ARRIVED

I'm Evan (or Cellulose), the porting programmer on Cave Story+. I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE TRAVESTIES WHICH BEFALL YOUR BELOVED GAME. At least most of them. I was off the air for the first few days of testing but I'm here now.

Thanks to one of your comments I immediately tracked down the cause of the save file corruption. The save mechanism was using text writes rather than binary ones, which caused carriage returns to be inserted before all newlines in the save data. I suspect this might have also caused some sound craziness by offsetting values over 10 into the sound-volume slots.

Here's an explanation. The utilities mentioned there might not actually work for uncorrupting save files, unfortunately, since those carriage returns might be inserted multiple times or overwritten wierdly in certain circumstances. But, worth a try. Beta version 2, which we'll put out later this week, should fix the matter.

Most of the remaining bugs seem to group into a few categories: (A) graphics mode change issues--a possible graphics memory leak, (B) the memory leak in OGG sound loading, and possibly (C) something causing sound effects to "stack" as in the Wii version rather than stopping old copies.

Expect me to poke my head in here frequently as we get this all fixed up. If someone on the beta can investigate whether sounds genuinely "stack" that would be excellent.

Sidenote: I approve of carrotlord's avatar. Beau Blyth is actually a good friend of mine and we're working on a game together.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:03 AM
Starbound sucked sadly
Hey carrot lord, anyreason why once i used your save fixer thing quote is now blue with red eyes? lol (assuming its a alt costume)

oh and it worked, thankyou.

Oct 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Evan Balster said:
The save mechanism was using text writes rather than binary ones, which caused carriage returns to be inserted before all newlines in the save data.
While you are there it might be a good idea to run a check on the data length of the slot first before writing to the file and then truncate or zero pad the data to the correct length if the length is incorrect. That way any corruption of a save slot would only affect the save slot in question rather than the entire file.

xristosx said:
Hey carrot lord, anyreason why once i used your save fixer thing quote is now blue with red eyes? lol (assuming its a alt costume)
Curly! :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:11 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
God, I haven't had time to test in days. Can't freeload though, so I'll get back on that. :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:40 AM
Some clarification about bug 32's assignment would be nice :D

Not sure what I can and can't talk about from the beta in public so I will leave it at that. Those who need to know, know :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:41 AM
inside is yello
"..."
To put it simply, it's not getting "fixed".

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:45 AM
Shimmyzmizz said:
To put it simply, it's not getting "fixed".

Hey, if you read between the lines, it says it was "assigned" to the.... if you catch my drift.

Edit: On Topic- for those that didn't know, google docs, if you click the other users viewing tab, you can chat!

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:19 AM
I don't know if I should post it on the google docs since it happened after I use the save fix but... All Quote skins changed.:D
One time to a blonde guy, then Quote with yellow costumes and now Dark Quote. Any idea if the save fix may have something to do with this?

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:28 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Evan Balster said:
Beau Blyth is actually a good friend of mine and we're working on a game together.

That is cool.

xristosx said:

oh and it worked, thankyou.

Byakuran1195 said:
I don't know if I should post it on the google docs since it happened after I use the save fix but... All Quote skins changed.:D
One time to a blonde guy, then Quote with yellow costumes and now Dark Quote. Any idea if the save fix may have something to do with this?

Err... maybe? If there's something really important at offset 0x1EE00, it might be my fault. I'll look into it.

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
It probably changed the byte that says which difficulty you're on

Status
Not open for further replies.