Cave Story 3DS Discussion

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:19 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Captain Fabulous said:
Nicalis said they were bringing Beta content back. This is them, bringing Beta content back.

Pretty sure it's this.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:43 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Re: Cave Story 3DS Announced!

I have to agree with you there Noxid.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Captain Fabulous said:
Nicalis said they were bringing Beta content back. This is them, bringing Beta content back.

Does this mean we are going to have Balrogs as regular enemies?

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:30 AM
Been here way too long...

No, they're not changing the enemies. That would be much too significant a change. The beta version of Cave Story is beat for a reason; it's not as good as the finished product.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

T3mp0 said:
Character designs change all of the time. Heck, look at how radically Donkey Kong changed in 1994.
That's because Rare's Donkey Kong is the son of Miyamoto's Donkey Kong, essentially making Rare's Donkey Kong the grown up version of Miyamoto's Donkey Kong Jr. Miyamoto's Donkey Kong appears in Donkey Kong Country as Cranky Kong. It's not really a case of design change since they are actually different characters.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:36 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

andwhyisit said:
That's because Rare's Donkey Kong is the son of Miyamoto's Donkey Kong, essentially making Rare's Donkey Kong the grown up version of Miyamoto's Donkey Kong Jr. Miyamoto's Donkey Kong appears in Donkey Kong Country as Cranky Kong. It's not really a case of design change since they are actually different characters.
They did become two separate entities eventually, though I'm sure not everybody knew of the fact, especially at the time. The games did release the same year after all! ("Who's this old dude cranking them tunes?")

Also, the fact that the current Donkey Kong being a grown up Donkey Kong Junior is still up in the air, despite what Wiki says...

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:35 PM
"Huzzah!"

theres no way in the world im not buying this!
it looks amazing. wonder when it comes out...

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"

andwhyisit said:

Fair enough, how about these?

Sonic
p120970-0-383pxsonic67.png
p120970-1-413pxsonicpose79.png

Amy Rose
p120970-2-150pxamyrosefirstgeneration.png
diph.php

Red
diph.php

Sabrina
p120970-5-redbluesabrina.png
p120970-6-341pxheartgoldsoulsilversabrina.png

Yoshi
p120970-7-smwyoshi.jpg
p120970-8-yoshimp8art.png

Kabula (A boss from Kirby's Dream Land)
p120970-9-kaboola.gif
p120970-10-kabulabf8.png

Pac-Man
p120970-11-pacman.png
p120970-12-pacman2snesscreenshot2.gif
p120970-13-pacman.jpg
diph.php

The list is practically endless.

Feb 21, 2011 at 7:28 AM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

explain yoshi.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:44 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"

it's subtle, but still there. he has a rounder hump, shorter, thinner neck, bigger eyes, larger shoes, etc. in short, he's been made more cartoony, and less like an actual dinosaur. I personally like his new design more than the original super mario world model.

the new models for quote don't look that bad, but the concept art is pretty horrible. I mean, character evolution (which is done to a small extent here) is totally fine, so long as you retain the original 'feel' of the charecter. I don't feel they've really done that, but that's just me I guess.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"

You do know yoshi hasnt changed at all save for his boots but the change is so little its almot impossible to notice.And the cartooney thing thats what happens when you take someone like yoshi and give him a next-gen look.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:33 PM
Been here way too long...

You do know that's exactly what we're talking about? Quote's only major difference is the lines, which were there in the first place. You all heard Tyrone: Quote will look exactly the same as the Wii version given the small resolution of the DS.

Feb 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."

Aw, Pixel's getting soft.

Other than that, nothing new to report in this interview that we didn't already know.

So... good? Bad? Would you guys have liked to be given that particular option?

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

dqle said:
good? Bad? Would you guys have liked to be given that particular option?

It would've been pretty cool if you could've saved Toroko. (Noooo it would be bad if we couldn't save Toroko:o )
Although, I admit, it would bring up a lot of requirments for getting the best ending which would've made it that much more annoying to get it.

Mar 4, 2011 at 2:31 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."

dqle said:
Ah, but the two Donkey Kong games were developed by different developers! (Miyamoto vs. Rare team) The same really couldn't have applied to the WiiWare version as Pixel was pretty much the graphics designer, or was at least heavily involved.
I think it's more that translating a 2D game to a 3D game requires that you redesign all the characters and graphics.

sexplosive said:
it's subtle, but still there. he has a rounder hump, shorter, thinner neck, bigger eyes, larger shoes, etc. in short, he's been made more cartoony, and less like an actual dinosaur. I personally like his new design more than the original super mario world model.
...and that looks like a turtleshell on his back, whereas in the 2D version it looks like a saddle... :debug:

Mar 4, 2011 at 5:45 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Celtic Minstrel said:
I think it's more that translating a 2D game to a 3D game requires that you redesign all the characters and graphics.

I'm not sure if you're saying this, but the same could be said about going from Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country, since most (all?) of the graphics in Donkey Kong Country were pre-rendered 3D objects.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever

It presents some issues for developers, mostly if the creator of the 2D images is not there to supervise, which is not the case for NIS.

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM
/end

Noxid said:
Tyrone... is Nicalis..
He is also the man who shunned me.

?

T3mp0 said:
Sabrina
p120970-5-redbluesabrina.png
p120970-6-341pxheartgoldsoulsilversabrina.png
Sabrina doesn't count, you're using her three year old version against her present day version. In game time that is.

Mar 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I'm not sure if you're saying this, but the same could be said about going from Donkey Kong to Donkey Kong Country, since most (all?) of the graphics in Donkey Kong Country were pre-rendered 3D objects.
As I said before, Donkey Kong of Rare fame IS NOT the original coin-op king. They do not look alike because THEY ARE NOT THE SAME APE. Rare's Donkey Kong is (according to Rare at least) the son of the original Donkey Kong, A.K.A. Donkey Kong Jr.