Calvinball

May 24, 2010 at 3:42 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
immortalshippo said:
Mr. fist, you broke my rule that I made stating that, if you stated that Jimmy Gibbs Jr. is the man, then you must, upon the next post you make, state that Moustachio rules and make a Louis joke. you also broke thae 'all posts must contain a blue word' rule. Dragonboots also broke this rule.

Rule 19, bitch. ;D

Also, Mr. Fist gets 3 Warsuns.

Also, Rule 0: Firefly is cancelled.

May 29, 2010 at 12:50 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
So, essentially, we both cannot break rules? Gay.
Rule # whatever-number-we-are-on-right-now: No rules carry on to the next round. No arguing about it.
Start a new round.
Rule #1: No rules may exempt other players from other rules in any way.

May 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
immortalshippo said:
So, essentially, we both cannot break rules? Gay.
Rule # whatever-number-we-are-on-right-now: No rules carry on to the next round. No arguing about it.
Start a new round.
Rule #1: No rules may exempt other players from other rules in any way.

Rule # whatever-number-we-are-on-right-now + 1 : immortalshippo is exempt from making rules.

Jun 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It's time I jumped on the bandwagon...
Rule 2: Every post must include *Gives Audioworm a dollar* or BALROG RULES!, or both, in making their rules.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:25 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
rule #3 : you may make up as many rules as you want in one post
rule #4 : the actual number of the rule doesnt matter at all.
rule #28 : All posts must contain Huzzah! in big red letters.
rule #40 : applying any formatting aside from the requirement of rule 28 automatically allows you to break any one rule you choose.
rule #34 : the real rule 34 is a lie.
rule #64 : the next rule made must be broken
rule #65 : all rules must be followed to the letter.
HUZZAH!

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Pirate Member
Metruler1990 said:
rule #34 : the real rule 34 is a lie.

mate the 34th rule is a bit different.

Jul 1, 2010 at 1:45 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Oh, I'm not even... Not even going to bother, here. Thread has died, too many people don't actually want to follow the rules.

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:16 AM
Pirate Member
immortalshippo said:
Oh, I'm not even... Not even going to bother, here. Thread has died, too many people don't actually want to follow the rules.
i wanna follow the rules! really i do!

rule number 37: Cave Story is awesome, and any posts to the contrary MUST be trolled.
HUZZAH!

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:18 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Rule 1: Metruler1990 can no longer make valid rules

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:30 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
immortalshippo said:
Immortalshippo, shut your whore mouth.
You've obviously never read Calvin and Hobbes. The point of Calvinball is not to construct a confusing and arbitrary list of rules. The point is to have fun. Following shitloads of rules isn't that fun in my opinion, but if you guys are enjoying yourselves, please continue as you wish.
The reason this thread is going in a different direction than I had in mind is because you guys took the ball and ran with it, so to speak. I wasn't going to intervene if you were all having fun with this thread. In Calvinball, the only rule is to have fun. Yelling at people for not following rules is the last thing Calvin and Hobbes would ever want in their game.

tl;dr this is the opposite of an organized sport.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM
Captain Fabulous said:
Immortalshippo, shut your whore mouth.
You've obviously never read Calvin and Hobbes. The point of Calvinball is not to construct a confusing and arbitrary list of rules. The point is to have fun. Following shitloads of rules isn't that fun in my opinion, but if you guys are enjoying yourselves, please continue as you wish.
The reason this thread is going in a different direction than I had in mind is because you guys took the ball and ran with it, so to speak. I wasn't going to intervene if you were all having fun with this thread. In Calvinball, the only rule is to have fun. Yelling at people for not following rules is the last thing Calvin and Hobbes would ever want in their game.

tl;dr this is the opposite of an organized sport.

Did you get this idea from ERS or whatever that card game is called?

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Shadow the Past said:
Did you get this idea from ERS or whatever that card game is called?

You've obviously never read calvin and hobbes.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:28 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You've obviously never read calvin and hobbes.

lolnope

But this did remind me of ERS regardless.

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Been here way too long...
I dunno what ERS is. But you can't make a card game similar to Calvinball, because Calvinball is never the same twice.
This was only an experiment. I really didn't expect it to work, so it surpassed my expectations. But now it seems that we've hit a major snag, so I don't know how much farther we can take this game. We can't have croquet hoops or polo hammers or special zones, so what is there to do, really?

Jul 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM
graters gonna grate
Rule 0: If this thread remains inactive for more than 10 days in a row, the next poster has the option to remove any or all of the previously made rules (including this one) and start over. This is what I am doing now.

Rule 1: No rules may be contradictory to each other. If a user wishes to create a new rule that contradicts an already existing rule, the new rule must replace the existing rule.

Rule 2: Rules 0-6 are considered "core rules" and may not be removed or replaced unless rule 0 is invoked.

Rule 3: After this post, every post is allowed to create at most 1 new rule, replace at most 1 existing rule, and remove at most 1 existing rule.

Rule 4: Every rule must be numbered with an integer from 0 to 19, inclusive. This means that the total number of rules will never exceed 20.

Rule 5: Double posting is not allowed, unless the two posts are at least one hour apart.

Rule 6: Posts that disobey the core rules, or that disobey non-core rules that were not removed/replaced in the post may be ignored (other penalties may be established later).

Rule 8: In addition to rules 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6, rules 17 and 8 are considered "core". Reiterating Rule 2, none of these rules can be added to or changed in any way (unless under circumstances invoked by rule zero). Furthermore, core rules are the only rules that can hold these properties and henceforth no other rules can be dubbed core.

Rule 10: On any player's turn, they can do one of three actions:
1) Modify the rules in such a way that is allowable under other rules
2) Make a "Point Post". In such a post, a user must take a previous "point post", change its meaning through the use of homonyms/synonyms, and then add a sentence which augments the meaning of all previous parts. The post must be written in the form of a dialogue, alternating between "Wedge Of Cheese" and "God". This post will then be fairly scored by other members. Maximum score yield for a "point post" is one gold point, and the minimum yield is 1 silver point.
3) Declare "-Time Out-" at the top of their post. Nothing in this post counts towards anything.
Failure to perform one of these actions will result in your score having its square root taken and a subsequent subtraction of one diamond point.

Rule 11: Starting with post #96 any post that performs more than one action (add, remove, replace a rule) earns the poster one gold point if the poster's username contains 8 characters and above, and loses the poster one gold point if the poster's username contains 7 or less characters.

Rule 12: If a post breaks any rule, and the next poster chooses not to ignore the rule-break, the rule-breaker loses two platinum points (again, you can have negative points).

Rule 13: If you haven't done so at all in the thread before if you Remove, Add and Replace all at the same time in one post you get 1 Diamond Point.

Rule 14: Each poster may exchange chocolate ice cream for 5 platinum points, provided they are either the first person to do so, or are posting a post whose number is equal to the sum of the number of characters in their username and the post number of the previous person to exchange chocolate ice cream for 5 platinum points.

Rule 15: Any user with at least 2 gold points may spend 2 gold points to request that any other user change their avatar, profile picture, signature, and/or location to anything of the first user's choosing (as long as it doesn't violate forum rules) and leave them that way for at least 48 hours. If the second user fails to do so within 24 hours of the first user's post, the first user earns their 2 gold points back, plus 1 bonus gold point, AND the second user loses 1 gold point and 1 platinum point.

Rule 16: Everyone gets free chocolate ice cream.

Rule 17: Excepting rules 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 17, odd numbered rules only apply to odd numbered posts, and even numbered rules only apply to even numbered posts.

Rule 18: 1 diamond point is worth 4 platinum points, and 1 platinum point is worth 4 gold points. A user may perform any number of point conversions in a post (only on even numbered posts, due to rule 17). Point conversions are only legal if the user would have a non-negative integer quantity of BOTH types of points before AND after the conversion.

Rule 19: 1 gold point is worth 4 platinum points, and 1 platinum point is worth 4 gold points. Four silver points are equal to one gold point. A user may perform any number of point conversions in a post (only on odd numbered posts, due to rule 17).

I will edit this post as new rules are added (and to keep track of scores).

Also, this isn't a rule, but just a sort of "common sense" thingy, unless you say otherwise, rules go into effect when they are created. They can never go into effect before their creation, but they can after (i.e. suppose I'm on post #98, I could create a rule saying "starting with post #200, blah, blah, blah, etc..." but not "starting with post #10..." since earlier posts have already been "processed" and are their effects are permanent).

Scores:

MetaSeraphim:
1 diamond point
3 gold points

Wedge of Cheese:
5 platinum points
3 gold points
2 silver points

Audioworm:
2 gold points

Adark:
1 gold point

Lace:
-1 diamond point
i gold points

Everyone:
chocolate ice cream

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM
graters gonna grate
Rule 7: Any post following this one that does not either create, replace, or remove at least one rule will result in the poster losing one gold point (yes you can have negative). Having "making out with Wedge of Cheese" as your location makes your exempt from this penalty.

Jul 15, 2010 at 7:08 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Rule #8: You cannot make more than one rule in any set, disregarding rules 0-6.

Jul 15, 2010 at 10:17 PM
graters gonna grate
Wedge of Cheese said:
Rule 3: After this post, every post is allowed to create at most 1 new rule, replace at most 1 existing rule, and remove at most 1 existing rule.

Already done :D

Replacing rule 8: All multiple of 3 posts after this one earn the poster one gold point.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM
Pirate Member
Rule 9: every post must include the word "derp", disregarding the usage thereof.