Bless You, Rip

Apr 26, 2014 at 10:53 PM
Melon Lord
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Frankly I think I'll try and stream this in an hour from now, 4PM PST. I'm just gonna do Version .101 since I want to just jump and backslide everywhere.

Come and watch if you're interested.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JonSpider said:
Frankly I think I'll try and stream this in an hour from now, 4PM PST. I'm just gonna do Version .101 since I want to just jump and backslide everywhere.

Come and watch if you're interested.
I'd still largely recommend you play 0.104, but yeah. The removal of the backdash wasn't until 0.103 though, so you could also play 0.102

0.101 has a major/game-breaking script bug near the end.

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:18 PM
Melon Lord
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I'd still largely recommend you play 0.104, but yeah. The removal of the backdash wasn't until 0.103 though, so you could also play 0.102

0.101 has a major/game-breaking script bug near the end.
Aye, I'll keep that in mind then. I just sort of like messing around with the extra maneuverability of the Backdash, personally. Not sure why it needed to be removed, other than the fact the tutorial and the rest of the game didn't mention the existence of it. I found it by complete accident.

Edit: Setting up. Come join if ya'd like.
http://www.livestream.com/spidersstreams

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:55 AM
Melon Lord
Well that was a good stream full of backdashing.

Got to learn about a few things on the game. Some important, some are Easter Eggs. I still question the logic of a Sewer system being so close to a public park where kids play.

Also decided to quote my friend James here since he watched the stream:

[4:50:51 PM] Brokenbrow: Holy shit, that looked beautiful.
[5:00:19 PM] Brokenbrow: The colorful pallete, the contrasting characters.
[5:02:07 PM] Brokenbrow: It's an interesting story, although it's kind of blatant that the "Parasites" are an allegory for his brother Zip's illness and that it could be an exact representation of his guilt and/or pain towards his brother.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:06 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
JonSpider said:
I still question the logic of a Sewer system being so close to a public park where kids play.
The park is right next to the city. It's not uncommon for a city to have a sewer system. I mean, the sewage has to go somewhere.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:21 AM
The Preacher
Hello, so I'm sorry in advance if anything I said was already mentioned before in this thread (or elsewhere), I didn't exactly read everything thoroughly. Anyway, here's what I found during my alpha test:

I kind of dislike how the Down and the Investigate actions are forced to be on different keys, but meh, I can live with that.

At one point in the tutorial, Chloe says "Hooray" but makes a "D:" face.

Most of the time, when descending a slope, you can't jump. This most likely comes from the fact that you "fall" off each pixel of the ledge from the engine's point of view, and thus are off the ground for most of the descension, rendering you unable to jump.
There's an easy fix that most modern platform games have adopted which also makes the jumping mechanics much more user-friendly and agreeable: setting up a tiny time lapse after you leave the ground where you are still allowed to jump. I highly recommend you to implement something like that.
By the way, sometimes the same thing happens when going UP a ledge. That's weird. How did you even do that. Anyway, the fix mentioned earlier should work I guess?

Enemies are displayed behind boxes? That's kinda confusing imo, and on top of that they go through them. Not asking for a fix, just saying.

So basically I saw the hole in the house, then checked if I could get the axe... And I can. That initiated a conversation with a girl whom I had not been introduced to beforehand (Risa), so maybe you want to fix that.

Sometimes the "!" sign screws up and goes on the thing to be checked out instead of Rip. Most specifically, it happens when two things that you can interact with are next together.

Dunc already mentioned it, but Risa managing to kill the parasite with a -2 and a -4 shot while you need to hit at -6 twice is kinda weird. Why no make it -4 and -8, or make her hit two more times?

"the heroes are US, Rip" way to nationalism you fanatical douchebag

Am I allowed to slap Risa?

"Wait a sec, you need a weapon." you mean the big axe in my hand which you taught me how to use just a little earlier? (ok I'm just saying the same thing as earlier a second time but still, the situation's kinda funny).

Choosing "Nevermind" or the curren floor when interacting with Jay's elevator makes you jump.
Also, seems weird that you can choose to go to the floor you are on. Isn't that what "Nevermind" is for? Besides, a player will think that something is wrong/doesn't work.

Some problems with the punctuation in the text for the Hello Penguin poster, but I guess it's on purpose?

I visited Jay's and saw him, then Rip asked Risa "Do you know where Jay is?".

"I like knocking down other kid's sand castles!" -> "kids'"

Don't the kids at the park care about giant killing bugs roaming everywhere?

Now Jay and Chloe are talking about birds and the sky MY HOUSE GOT FUCKING BLOWN UP AND BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE

The changes you made after the first version make the game way more smooth, but it still feels very stiff. Jumping isn't really easy to control (especially how hard it is to stop Rip from moving in mid-jump, I can only go back and forth most of the time), and you can't move at all when swinging the axe, even a few frames after the end of the attack, uhgnh.
Also the axe's hitbox is weird, the first part of the swing doesn't hit, although it seems harmful visually. Maybe you could put a half-damage hitbox on there?
Also, I can't seem to be really caught by the story, but that's just my personal preference.
It was fairly enjoyable nonetheless, and I have to once again congratulate you guys on the art and music.

And now, saving the best for last:
p182466-0-4ntxpig.png

A game-breaking bug in which I can't do anything except use the inventory and the Esc menu, obtained by finishing off the Swarm at the same time it kills me. Instead of the Game Over message, I get the "Defeated the Swarm" one, but I'm dead and have to return to title/quit the game.

Apr 28, 2014 at 5:43 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Ok Hiino, I think I've fixed most of the things you've mentioned in your post up there in this next patch now.

Version 0.105 changes

-fixed a script bug where you could get the axe early and break the game a bit
-changed “US” to “*us*” in risa’s dialogue in Rip’s house
-fixed a few typos
-tweaked in-air control
-fixed the wooden box so that entities go in front of it instead of behind it
-cleaned up stray pixels in neighborhood map
-fixed jumping when walking on slopes
-fixed bug where killing the boss when it kills you results in an unwinnable game
-cleared keypress when selecting a script choice so you don’t jump or anything after the event
-removed some wait-frames from the end of the axe swing
-added “Press the Z key!” to the title screen

Download link in the OP updated

Apr 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Uh, I'm sort of stuck. Could anyone help?
I've saved at the second locked gate inside the park. Risa asks if I found aything, Chloe asks if I like birds, Jay is taking a minute to look at the sky. I have two weapon books and a lump of sand, and I obtained two heart-flowers. There's nothing in the sewer, and going back into the city doesn't seem to help for anything.
What should I do next? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Apr 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM
The Preacher
IdioticBaka >
Risa asks if you have found anything, and you did find something, right? You gotta show her

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Oh, so that's how objects are used! Thank you!

May 5, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
p182473-0-tumblrn538xwugdl1rjfwgto1r1400.gif

p182473-1-tumblrn538xwugdl1rjfwgto2400.gif

Working on the player switching mechanics right now. In case you didn’t figure it out on your own, Risa is going to be a playable character.

May 5, 2014 at 8:55 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
She is?? NO WAY!!!

May 5, 2014 at 2:49 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Awesome!

Oh shoot, that's right, I still need to beat the demo! :eek:

Anyway, I love what I've seen so far, I'll have a full report and possibly a review on the game when I finish.

Oh, and that reminds me, are you going to charge people for the final product?

I would totally buy it.

May 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM
The Preacher
I'd probably buy the game itself, but not the soundtrack.

Although i'd most likely wait for it to be featured in an humble bundle

May 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
p182473-0-tumblrn538xwugdl1rjfwgto1r1400.gif

p182473-1-tumblrn538xwugdl1rjfwgto2400.gif

Working on the player switching mechanics right now. In case you didn’t figure it out on your own, Risa is going to be a playable character.
Wow, this is interesting! Could you give us more information about this? Like, are there going to be any tag team specials or something like that, etc?

May 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Dunc2403 said:
I'd probably buy the soundtrack, but not the game itself.
The game is still fairly early on in it's making and I think Gir has time to polish. Though after this session I would think it wise to prioritize making the mechanics feel nice and smooth. That's definitely a thing you need testers for too.

May 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
It's more like I think that no matter how polished the rest of the game is, the art and music are going to be the best parts, hands-down. Which really is to be expected, what with it being made be Nighth and GIR.