Bless You, Rip

Apr 20, 2014 at 6:40 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I haven't finished the demo yet, but I really love how well created this game is. It's a bit annoying to jump to the top of the steep hills from the treetops in the park though. Also, I don't know if this is supposed to happen, but when I got in Luca's house near a virus, it touched Rip as the screen fades to the next room, but he never got hurt. Maybe the collision wasn't supposed to happen?

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
I don't think this was pointed out before, but I like how Rip makes his enemies rest in pieces. :p

Apr 20, 2014 at 5:33 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Updated again.

ver 0.1.0.2
-script bug with park gate fixed (the reason for this patch, really)
-run speed slightly increased
-"slipperyness" reduced
-fixed some slopes (hopefully no more clipping with the map)
-some enemies moved
-fixed hurt animations for 2 enemies

The downloads page has been updated.

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
The art was amazing. Really well done. The story is progressing along pretty nicely. But...
Don't you think Rip has serious moral issues? It's not right to just barge into someone's apartment without asking them!

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
IdioticBaka1824 said:
The art was amazing. Really well done. The story is progressing along pretty nicely. But...
Don't you think Rip has serious moral issues? It's not right to just barge into someone's apartment without asking them!
It's an issue many video game protagonists have, really.

Or you could assume they're all good enough friends that they don't have to ask eachother every time they drop by.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:01 AM
Been here way too long...
The thing I liked most was 4th wall breaking.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ColdCallerloppy said:
Mod, demo same thing in my world; if it has content it considered a mod, like my demo/mod (you don't see me call my mod a demo do I?).
"Mod" is based on the word "modification" and is used in cases where someone takes an existing game and changes it to create something new. It does not apply in this case.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:21 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
It's an issue many video game protagonists have, really.
I know about one that goes around breaking pots just for a little bit of money inside!

Hopefully I'll get around to playing this soon, it looks very tempting.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Eevee Enthusiast
Platforming? Combat? Good music/art? Sounds like my kind of game! Sadly, I have to finish up some homework right now, so I can't really give it a try just yet, though I will try to remember to give some feedback after I make it through the demo.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:37 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
While I didn't have many likable moments while playing part of the (first) demo, this was one of those moments where a smile was on my face.

p182449-0-screenshot20140419at65603pm.png

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:48 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Rip version 0.103 released!

ver 0.1.0.3 changes
-added run button, removed double tap for running
-removed charge attack and backdash for now
-jump animation fixed up somewhat
-axe is a bit faster now
-changed the dialogue in a few places to better represent Rip’s character
-also some dialogue changes to make some not-obvious things more obvious (axe, jay, etc)

Links on the first post/the website have been updated.

This is the last patch we’re planning for v 0.1, and it’s the one that changes the most (dialogue wise, anyways). After this we’re probably only going to be patching if anyone finds any major bugs.

If you’ve been putting off playing this until we released a stable release, then this is it.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Tried the update... Plays like a dream, windowed, on this i7. Full-screen still seems less than ideal though...
I did notice one weird thing with combat... Intermittently the axe refuses to attack. (only tested in the city, and in the forest) I initally thought I was overloading the keyboard input by pressing too many keys at once; but it occured even when only pressing a single key to attack. It's most noticeable when I run up to whack an enemy in the face, but it won't attack. I usually just tap again and it will work before I take damage. Am I an isolated case?

The rest of the time though combat works wonderfully.

Oh, in the tutorial, is Chloe's portrait supposed to move to fit the text box, even when (Use, Examine, Combine, Nevermind) shows up for you to combine the letter opener and use it? She ends up moving around several times during the conversation, especially if you hit wrong buttons...
It looks quite cute that she moves right next to the letter, showing her anticipation of you opening the letter properly... But, hitting incorrect options sends her to a couple varying spots; while the rest of the game locks the portrait usually to the sides. Thought I'd point it out just in case...

And one art related thing, the elevators in Jay's building... The rectangle above the elevator door (where the floor numbers go), look like you placed a door, and then put the elevator door graphic on top of it... That was my inital impression.
Maybe if you placed the blue border to complete the rectangle; and maybe leave a small space between the elevator top and the border bottom? But, just ignore this if it looks fine to you...

I'll play more after I finish more exams... ;-;
Really enjoying RIP now on a PC that runs it smoothly...
Chloe is awesome btw :3 I'm warming up to all the characters now... Looking forward to seeing more.

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Eevee Enthusiast
Just finished the demo, and I gotta say that it's turning out to be quite a good game.
I loved everything 'bout it, but I'ma confirm X-Calibar's attacking problem. Once or twice, when I was ready to axe some things some questions, apparently Rip wasn't, and didn't attack until I tapped X again. If it'll help any, I'm running this on a Windows 8 computer.

Other than that hiccup, keep up the good work!

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
X-Calibar said:
I did notice one weird thing with combat... Intermittently the axe refuses to attack. (only tested in the city, and in the forest) I initally thought I was overloading the keyboard input by pressing too many keys at once; but it occured even when only pressing a single key to attack. It's most noticeable when I run up to whack an enemy in the face, but it won't attack. I usually just tap again and it will work before I take damage. Am I an isolated case?

The rest of the time though combat works wonderfully.
SeasonsOfDestiny said:
I loved everything 'bout it, but I'ma confirm X-Calibar's attacking problem. Once or twice, when I was ready to axe some things some questions, apparently Rip wasn't, and didn't attack until I tapped X again. If it'll help any, I'm running this on a Windows 8 computer.
Yeah I don't know what exactly would be causing other than maybe the short cooldown period between axe swings where you can't swing? If you could get some video footage of it happening that would be great.

X-Calibar said:
Oh, in the tutorial, is Chloe's portrait supposed to move to fit the text box, even when (Use, Examine, Combine, Nevermind) shows up for you to combine the letter opener and use it? She ends up moving around several times during the conversation, especially if you hit wrong buttons...
It looks quite cute that she moves right next to the letter, showing her anticipation of you opening the letter properly... But, hitting incorrect options sends her to a couple varying spots; while the rest of the game locks the portrait usually to the sides. Thought I'd point it out just in case...
Yeah that's supposed to happen. It's supposed to stick to the textbox.

X-Calibar said:
And one art related thing, the elevators in Jay's building... The rectangle above the elevator door (where the floor numbers go), look like you placed a door, and then put the elevator door graphic on top of it... That was my inital impression.
Maybe if you placed the blue border to complete the rectangle; and maybe leave a small space between the elevator top and the border bottom? But, just ignore this if it looks fine to you...
It looks fine to me? I'll have a look at it later maybe.

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for giving the demo a playthrough, you two!

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:21 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Yeah I don't know what exactly would be causing other than maybe the short cooldown period between axe swings where you can't swing? If you could get some video footage of it happening that would be great.
I took a little video, and it happened at least a couple times here and there :
Jump to 2:05 for a clear example of it happening twice in a row~ There was a couple other times... I'll have to watch it again and look for them. I thought it might have actually happened with jump as well, but I couldn't catch it on the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoW1aLQUNts

Thanks for the making the demo ;D

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh, I think I know exactly what's going on right here.

I'll have a fix for that uploaded soon.
Ok, fixed it:

ver 0.1.0.4
-fixed a typo in some dialogue at the lake
-fixed a bug where very rarely pressing the attack key would not swing the axe

Downloads page is updated in the link in the op.
Made a trailer video or something for the demo. It's added to the op.

Apr 26, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Beakface
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I'm a little late to the party, but I just completed the demo now. It's the latest version; I *kind of* waited for a stable release.

First, a few minor text formatting suggestions:

rip-allofasudden_zps4ad5d69d.png

I'm not certain whether that's intentional or not, but "all of the sudden" seems awkward to read as opposed to "all of a sudden".

rip-linebreak_zpse9d6fa0a.png

A line break in the text.

Ramblings:
That aside, the game felt a little slow at first, but near the end of the demo, I was definitely intrigued. The characters were great because there seemed to be quite a mix: some upbeat and full of attitude, others laid back and chill. They all had a little bit of something that made me feel connected to them, and I loved going into their houses.

Combat feels a little slow, but I didn't mind too much. Particularly what bothered me is the fact that the jump key doesn't respond immediately after using the axe, which makes getting out of the way more of a hassle (and the protect function only seems to work best for enemies that attack from the side rather than the one with tentacles that dove down from a certain distance). Keep working on refining the axe behaviour, especially if Rip's going to be encountering more enemies. Or will we get a new weapon of sorts?

The music, for the most part, is good. Most issues I had with it are the fact that they don't seem to suit the atmosphere evoked from the other elements of the game (ie. story, art).

The only theme that really bothered me here was the music playing in Rip's house; it sounded like a reversed lullaby and just didn't seem to fit with the gist of the game or his place as did the other music.

Other tracks sound wonderful, but with quite a bit of contrast in comparison to the style of the other tracks. The city theme "Iron Works" gave off a busy nightlife atmosphere rather than something that plays during a bright sunny day. It might be the saxophone-sounding lead that does it; nightlife always reminds me of jazz and saxophones.

There were some really nice blends of distortedness and ambiance in the titlescreen theme, which I loved. Kind of made me think of the backgrounds used, all pastel and blended in a dreamy whip. My personal favourite tracks: "Tale of the Unlucky Rabbit", "Inside" and "Esplanade".

I considered buying the soundtrack now, but I think I would wait until the full game is released. Unless the songs are going to significantly change in the full game...

Anyways, really excellent job in the art, music and story.

Misc thoughts:
I'm really hoping the scientists truly aren't evil...sheesh that's another work putting a bad rep on scientists. Also, the fact that Risa refers to these creatures as "parasites" seems to imply they have some sort of possessing abilities. Do they? Guess only time will tell the tale.

Apr 26, 2014 at 7:47 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
the line break in hello penguin is intentional, for various reasons

Apr 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Random-storykeeper said:
I'm not certain whether that's intentional or not, but "all of the sudden" seems awkward to read as opposed to "all of a sudden".

Ramblings:
That aside, the game felt a little slow at first, but near the end of the demo, I was definitely intrigued. The characters were great because there seemed to be quite a mix: some upbeat and full of attitude, others laid back and chill. They all had a little bit of something that made me feel connected to them, and I loved going into their houses.

Combat feels a little slow, but I didn't mind too much. Particularly what bothered me is the fact that the jump key doesn't respond immediately after using the axe, which makes getting out of the way more of a hassle (and the protect function only seems to work best for enemies that attack from the side rather than the one with tentacles that dove down from a certain distance). Keep working on refining the axe behaviour, especially if Rip's going to be encountering more enemies. Or will we get a new weapon of sorts?

The music, for the most part, is good. Most issues I had with it are the fact that they don't seem to suit the atmosphere evoked from the other elements of the game (ie. story, art).

The only theme that really bothered me here was the music playing in Rip's house; it sounded like a reversed lullaby and just didn't seem to fit with the gist of the game or his place as did the other music.

Other tracks sound wonderful, but with quite a bit of contrast in comparison to the style of the other tracks. The city theme "Iron Works" gave off a busy nightlife atmosphere rather than something that plays during a bright sunny day. It might be the saxophone-sounding lead that does it; nightlife always reminds me of jazz and saxophones.

There were some really nice blends of distortedness and ambiance in the titlescreen theme, which I loved. Kind of made me think of the backgrounds used, all pastel and blended in a dreamy whip. My personal favourite tracks: "Tale of the Unlucky Rabbit", "Inside" and "Esplanade".

I considered buying the soundtrack now, but I think I would wait until the full game is released. Unless the songs are going to significantly change in the full game...

Anyways, really excellent job in the art, music and story.
The "all of the sudden" thing is actually apparently a typo, and one that is becoming more common apparently. I'm not sure if we'll change that though.

We'll keep fiddling with the axe/combat (like maybe reducing that window or something where you can't jump after swinging it). But there is definitely more planned for combat in general.

The music in Rip's house is supposed to sound a little off, so we might be hinting at something with how the bgm in his house sounds.

And yeah the full OST is probably going to include the demo songs as-is, unless something changes for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback!

Apr 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
the line break in hello penguin is intentional, for various reasons
You forget that everything HP related is intentional and that Peng himself is infallible. Not only is the break in the line predetermined, but all our thoughts are as well. Go on and doubt any nay sayers, you will Live in misery until the day you learn to say "Hello".

I don't have my pc in me atm but I wanna test out the axe and combat tweaks right away. :<