Another Jenka's Nightmare remake

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:43 AM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Update of the week:

Last week was a bit slow and sickly to me, so I didn't get any major progress done to the mod. However, I did do the following bit of interesting additions:

- The gunsmith's sign has been moved outside his house

- The gunsmith's house has been changed to be a little bigger.

- In the event of a NG+ file, if you do NOT have the spur capsule, the initial sequence with the gunsmith's house will be different. Rather than his door being unlocked so you can get the polar star, it will instead be locked and the sign changed. In order to enter his house, one must navigate to another entryway above his house that is barred off on the occasions of a normal game or spur NG+.

- In the event of no-spur NG+, the bird will not appear immediately. After opening the chest however, before you can get to the gunsmith's door to leave, you'll "Feel a Chill" and the bird will appear shortly afterward in an ANP attack-mode state (Surprisingly you CAN endorse it!).

- There will be a save-disk in the gunsmith's house now (Which will be there normally, or appear after beating the bird in the no-spur NG+).

- I was oddly able to do all of the above without using any new flags. I think I'm a wizard.

Update of the week double post:

Another slow week, but I've been picking away at the dialog in Sandzone. Booster's house and Misery's Abode is done, all that's left of Sandzone to do is have the sunstones animate, really.

Since you run into Balrog much earlier, the sand cutscene will occur when you enter Misery's Abode the first time. This, and the transition between Sandzone and Labyrinth, are next on my agenda.

Here's a random screenshot:
diph.php

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:50 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The background seems a bit too eye-drawing.

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I think it looks pretty good!

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I think I'm about 50% done the mapping for the Labyrinth.

diph.php

Hey, wait a sec...

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
ZarroTsu said:
Hey, wait a sec...
That's what I was thinking. Looks like those folks must have gotten lost—they seem a bit out of place. I guess it is a labyrinth, after all...

Apr 1, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Based Member
And also in JN the Sand Zone and Labyrinth are connected, so that's interesting, it wouldn't be entirely impossible for some Sand Zone creatures to wind up in the Labyrinth.

Apr 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Perhaps the Sand Zone residents were hoodwinked by Misery for unknown reasons?

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:21 AM
I'll leave this here without any context other than "Testing this room made me ill"

diph.php

Apr 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
That screenshot looks nice, i like the idea of having labyrinth rocks in the core area.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Updoot of the Week:

I'm nearing the end of the Labyrinth map (I have the Revolutionarium left to clean up), and I'm wondering if the demo should include both Genesis and Oblivion's areas, or just Genesis' for now (Thereby making it 'complete' in terms of old content).

diph.php

Boop:

diph.php

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:37 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I recommend you finish up at Genesis for this update...

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
ZarroTsu said:
Updoot of the Week:

I'm nearing the end of the Labyrinth map (I have the Revolutionarium left to clean up), and I'm wondering if the demo should include both Genesis and Oblivion's areas, or just Genesis' for now (Thereby making it 'complete' in terms of old content).

diph.php

Boop:

diph.php
Those screenshots look very good. Also you should just finish the demo at genesis.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Dunc2403 said:
You are going to explain to me right now what the hell that thing is doing there

And also what the problem with the old tileset was

I'm going to assume that you assume the area in the screenshot is the core. It isn't. It's the same area as before, only with the color set of the core's map tiles (and a few of the debrees robots strewn about). And for the record, the previous screenshot using the blueish labyrinth tileset wasn't the core either.

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

It was that one area where you get a mirror fragment. I've turned it into an underwater labyrinth block puzzle because I am an evil sonofabitch.

In any case, I've since changed it back to the golden colored labyrinth tileset so it looks less dreary. I'll use the blueish tileset for the revolutionarium, perhaps.

--

Update of the week:

The labyrinth's mapping is done, so now I'm doubling back to clean up and put together the events in sequence. Which includes something that I'm really dreading: Putting together the Balrog cutscene (and area).

The bright side, I suppose, is that we're getting close to another demo. After the labyrinth is done, I really only have one more area to make with the Aquaducts (two if you count the chimney, which yes, still exists, and yes, will lead to the Aquaducts, and a later surface-journey area). And after that, I just need to test things a bit, do some bug-fixing, add a few capsule rewards, and replace some music files.

Does anyone know off-hand if replacing the music fucks up the other editors? I'm wary of the game crapping out somehow, forcing me to have to leave music-adding to a last-minute thing. Not that it'd be that difficult to work around, but it'd be nice to get some clarification whether or not music files stored in the EXE will mess up the code in some way.

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:31 AM
Professional Whatever
I don't know about/who gives a fuck about Sue's, but replacing music doesn't affect CE or BL.

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Alright so a general follow-up note to something a while ago:

I said once that the NG+ capsules would all be opened at Chaba's shop. I've since changed this idea a bit to be much more interactive with more NPCs than just some roach in the Labyrinth. (insert 'dat's racist!' gif here)

So, in short, each capsule will have its own NPC that will open it (except for a few special cases in which you'd never have the capsules at the same time). All but one of them will be open-able during the span of the game between the last demo and this demo, so if you want to get a head start, feel free to put together some NG+ profiles in or after the underside shack and toss them around.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:35 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
Hmm...seems like a good decision! I'm guessing Chaba will still open the Snake capsule?

Apr 18, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Chaba opening the snake will be the very first capsule-opening instance.

A general reminder as well, the capsules can really contain any item. I've hinted before that one of them contain the turbocharge, for instance. The only thing the weapon icon on them attribute to is what they WERE before you got them. So feel free to speculate what gives what among your who-gives-what discussion (if any. People seem to actively avoid this topic).

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
I don't :<

It IS super-quiet, though. It doesn't help that IpBoard never gives me a notice if the thread's been updated despite my following status.

Anyway, I'm going to take a guess and say that the Hermit Gunsmith opens the Polar Star capsule, which is awesome.Or maybe the Spur capsule?
Hmm...

Machine Gun=Curly Brace, duh
Snake=Chaba, also duh(as well as confirmed)
Bubbler=Uh, Jack I guessNo idea.
Blade=Also Jack? Quien sabe.
Nemesis=Hmm...I have a feeling an angel statue would open it, but that's just dumb sentimentality.
Super/Missile Launcher=Probably Prof.Booster or something.
Spur=Hermit Gunsmith
Polar Star=Hermit Gunsmith?

Of course, characters don't necessarily open their relevant capsule. And I have no idea what's in them, besides the Polar Star. Oh well.