Feb 26, 2016 at 10:34 PM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
It doesn't work.

edit: yeah wait technically it does work, I lied. If you don't actually use the function to change anything, it'll work!
otherwise you just get the black bkg.
Not if you save. It works for me just fine.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:40 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Welp, that's weird.
but it is also only one thing that CE has that BL also has. Annnnd Bl still has a lot it doesn't. Like it used to not have the TSC argument decoder thing in the tsc thing, and CE was sort of more useful if you didn't know the numbers for items etc (and even then it was buggy), but now BL can do that too.
And the Hackinator
The gorgeous hackinator

(yeah just learn Booster's Lab)

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:33 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It doesn't work.

edit: yeah wait technically it does work, I lied. If you don't actually use the function to change anything, it'll work!
otherwise you just get the black bkg.
CE can edit map backgrounds but if you try to create a map using "New map" it will always show up black ingame no matter what you set it to.

If Noxid ever decides to integrate my guide, it would be pretty easy for you to learn.
well I mean, nothing's stopping them from reading it now in the meantime

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:32 AM
Catz R cool
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"..."
You can't change them to PNGs. They MUST be bitmaps (bmp). The original files pixel used (.pbm) are actually just renamed bitmaps (bmp), but PNGs are a different file format entirely, and thus Cave Story is unable to read them
Actually, you can use PNGs. In fact, you can rename them to anything including *.txt or even *.docx as long as you configure the .exe to use them, such as the Game Settings in Cave Editor!

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:58 AM
"Huzzah!"
Actually, you can use PNGs. In fact, you can rename them to anything including *.txt or even *.docx as long as you configure the .exe to use them, such as the Game Settings in Cave Editor!
no...
PNG is a completely different file format from BMPs. You'd need to do a hell of a lot more than go to Game Settings and change the extension. File extensions mean just about nothing - they're just appended to a filename to aid in identifying a file type. You don't even need a file extension, it just allows you to link certain programs to certain filetypes and stuff and to make everything easier. But they're just part of the filename. If you change a file extension, you don't change the file's format or the file's type, just its name
You'd need to modify the executable so that it can properly load PNG files or GIF files or JPG files if you wanted to use those.

Feb 27, 2016 at 6:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

Ok here let me rephrase this.

You can use files with the extension .PNG, but if you use an actual png file the game will not read it.

The only reason .pbm files work is because the .pbms Cave Story uses are just renamed .bmps. That is, they have the same file format as a bitmap (not the same file extension, but the same file format). So if you saved your bitmap and then renamed it to .txt (and set cave story to look for the extension .txt), it would read the file, as long as it was a bitmap.

A PNG is NOT a bitmap. It is an entirely different format that is compressed (but still lossless). If you try to get Cave Story to read .pngs for its image files, it will try to read it as a bitmap and then it will probably crash or throw an error since it's not a bitmap. If you saved a bitmap and then ONLY changed the file extension for that file to .png, it would work, but the file extension would just be lying since it's still a bitmap.

So no, you are wrong, very very wrong. You can't use .pngs for Cave Story's sprites (and god help you if you try to save a .docx file in Word and feed that to Cave Story). Just because you change the file extension that Cave Story looks for doesn't mean it's not going to try to load the files as a bitmap.

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:31 PM
Soup Man
I've got another quick question! How do I infinitely use the <QUA command to shake the screen forever?

Feb 27, 2016 at 5:59 PM
Soup Man
Thanks!
Use the quake generator entity(Forgot the number) . You can find this entity in the balcony 2 map (where you follow Sue).

When I try to delete Ballos this happens:

EDIT: Also, the <FLA command doesn't work until all the commands on that event have finished running. Any help?

EDIT: I think I fixed the <FLA problem. I used <PRI and not <KEY

EDIT: I still can't fix Ballos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2016 at 6:47 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
Thanks!

When I try to delete Ballos this happens:

EDIT: Also, the <FLA command doesn't work until all the commands on that event have finished running. Any help?

EDIT: I think I fixed the <FLA problem. I used <PRI and not <KEY

EDIT: I still can't fix Ballos.

Give us a copy of your TSC stuff you used to delete Ballos?

Ok here let me rephrase this.

You can use files with the extension .PNG, but if you use an actual png file the game will not read it.

The only reason .pbm files work is because the .pbms Cave Story uses are just renamed .bmps. That is, they have the same file format as a bitmap (not the same file extension, but the same file format). So if you saved your bitmap and then renamed it to .txt (and set cave story to look for the extension .txt), it would read the file, as long as it was a bitmap.

A PNG is NOT a bitmap. It is an entirely different format that is compressed (but still lossless). If you try to get Cave Story to read .pngs for its image files, it will try to read it as a bitmap and then it will probably crash or throw an error since it's not a bitmap. If you saved a bitmap and then ONLY changed the file extension for that file to .png, it would work, but the file extension would just be lying since it's still a bitmap.

So no, you are wrong, very very wrong. You can't use .pngs for Cave Story's sprites (and god help you if you try to save a .docx file in Word and feed that to Cave Story). Just because you change the file extension that Cave Story looks for doesn't mean it's not going to try to load the files as a bitmap.
Well then, that'll help stop people stealing your files, won't it? :D

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:37 AM
War criminal
Really, it's to prevent people from looking at potential spoilers, but now these days, who really gives a shit about CS mod spoilers?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2016 at 2:15 PM
Soup Man
Give us a copy of your TSC stuff you used to delete Ballos?

Well then, that'll help stop people stealing your files, won't it? :D
I just did a simple <DNP comand on him.

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:50 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Question: Is there some way to change the ORG played at the main menu of CS without simply replacing the assigned "CURLY" organya?

Question 2: I know this happened on Jenka's Nightmare, so it made me wonder: How might one have more than 2 character arts (ex. Quote, and Mimiga Mask Quote)?

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:18 AM
War criminal
Question: Is there some way to change the ORG played at the main menu of CS without simply replacing the assigned "CURLY" organya?

Question 2: I know this happened on Jenka's Nightmare, so it made me wonder: How might one have more than 2 character arts (ex. Quote, and Mimiga Mask Quote)?
For Question 2, you can use the <MIM hack (you can insert the offsets from this post, and it should work).

EDIT: For Question 1, you can edit this in the assembly for the title screen music.
Code:
CPU Disasm
Address   Hex dump          Command                                  Comments
0040FECA  |>  6A 18         PUSH 18                                  ; /Arg1 = 18
Arg1 = 18 is for the CURLY org. 18 is hex for 24 (which is the org number in the musiclist file that comes with Booster's Lab), so what you really need to do is to convert the song number for the song of your choosing from the file to hex and put that in the offset.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2016 at 8:14 AM
Catz R cool
"..."
So I want to inatall the <ML+ hack. (this one, in case you can't find it.)
But when I go to 00422730 to enter in the last line of assembly that makes it work it takes me to 0042272C. And, in fact there is no 00422730.
Does anyone here know how to get that assembly address? I asked Noxid and he said it wasn't an easily fixed problem...
:
You don't need the hack to subtract health - just use the negative numbers in ascii characters, for example, <ML+000/ would be the same as subtracting one max health, <ML+000. for -2, <ML+000- for -3, etc. <ML+00/0 would be the same as -10, <ML+0/00 as -100 etc. <ML+00/6 would also be the same as -4.

Also, if you need to set the max health to anything, just do a <ML+9999 and then <LI+9999 (just so that the max health becomes 232, the highest possible value), then subtract whatever you want from 232 to get it. For example, I want to set my max HP to 100. I do a <ML+9999<LI+9999<ML+0/-. and I'm done.

I just did a simple <DNP comand on him.
Why don't you try a <DNA

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2016 at 8:22 AM
War criminal
So I want to inatall the <ML+ hack. (this one, in case you can't find it.)
But when I go to 00422730 to enter in the last line of assembly that makes it work it takes me to 0042272C. And, in fact there is no 00422730.
Does anyone here know how to get that assembly address? I asked Noxid and he said it wasn't an easily fixed problem...
From what I tried right now, maybe you should put in the call for 00422730 before putting in the hack at 00419CA6. The new CALL function stayed in the same place when I did that.