Feb 28, 2012 at 5:21 PM
The Eternal Darkness
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
So I can set HP and XP to 2000 if I wanted to? The damage counter I don't worry about, I could just put it at 127 damage unless for some reason I make the player have more than that as maximum HP.

EDIT:
Well, afaik HP is stored as a doubleword, so the highest possible value would be 2,147,483,647. The damage counter though, only goes up to -9,999 if i recall correctly. The XP is also a doubleword, so the same limit would apply there too. However large XP numbers get divided into crystals, and crystals are NPCs. So be weary of big numbers. The game will only let you have so many NPCs alive at one time.
When I first started modding, I found out about the limit of the living NPCs. Too many Jellies in Grasstown.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
It's been a while since I've posted in here.
I've been trying to put in a new pxtone sound file into my mod, but it's not working well. I replaced one of the pre-existing sounds in the game. I know I put it in the game, but all I can hear is this ugly one-note sound instead. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I replaced sound ID3a_snd_3a.pxt in case that helps.

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Prrrobably because Cave Story doesn't support things made in PxTone

Feb 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM
Professional Whatever
I'm using CTone. When I said pxtone file I meant .pxt.

EDIT: okay I'm retarded and need to read readme's more. Imma gonna stop using pitch2 now.

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:46 PM
The Eternal Darkness
So I can set HP and XP to 2000 if I wanted to? The damage counter I don't worry about, I could just put it at 127 damage unless for some reason I make the player have more than that as maximum HP.

EDIT:
When I first started modding, I found out about the limit of the living NPCs. Too many Jellies in Grasstown.

Never mind, I'll figure this out myself by increasing the HP by 200 until it hits 2000 and works. The XP I'll place at 250 (12 big triangles and a few smaller ones, if my calculation is correct).

What is the limit of NPCs in an area, by the way?

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Professional Whatever
256. And no, max HP only goes up to about 240. You can raise it higher, but it will reset back to a certain value which I can't remember every time you restore your health (heart or refill station).

Sorry, I didn't know you were talking about NPCs. You can for HP, but idk about XP.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:02 PM
The Eternal Darkness
The player's max HP is 250, I think. Ballos' first form has 1000. If the limit of NPCs are 256, then 12.5 big triangles won't do that much damage in a room with little NPCs.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Not COMMA
Discord Group Moderator
"..."
Can tile #44 stop a horizontal/verticle trigger?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
seeing as it's an entity just like any other, there's no reason it shouldn't.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:18 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
The tiletype 44 is an entity? That doesn't make much sense. And since when does an entity stop an H/V trigger? I thought it was only solid (to the player) tiles that stopped them.

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Based Member
The tiletype 44 is an entity? That doesn't make much sense. And since when does an entity stop an H/V trigger? I thought it was only solid (to the player) tiles that stopped them.
No, no, no. A H/V trigger is an entity, and it is stopped by tile #44. Tiles are not entities. Noxid meant that tile #44 would stop an H/V trigger.

Out of context:
seeing as it's an entity just like any other, there's no reason it shouldn't.

And what he meant was:
seeing as an H/V trigger it's an entity just like any other, there's no reason tile #44 shouldn't stop it.

And Noxid is right. In my experience of playing around with H/V triggers, tile #44 does stop it.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Veteran Member
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
A similar question: how can I stop a Night Spirit from spawning too soon?

Apparently you have to be directly in line (horizontally) to where the Night Spirit entity is placed and within a certain distance... but that distance is so great the attack comes way before the player can even see the Night Spirit.
I thought solid objects in the way would prevent it from appearing too soon (just as they stop H\V triggers) but it doesn't seem to work.

I even tried moving the Night Spirit in position with an H/V trigger or using it to change a null entity into a Night Spirit, unfortunately this apparently doesn't allow Option 2 to stay checked, meaning the Night Spirit spawns from the top of the screen instead of the bottom and gets stuck in the ceiling.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:51 AM
The Eternal Darkness
I'm no expert on this, but I think that's going to require assembly... but that's what I think.
By the way, what is Option 2 for? The only thing I know about the Option 2 is that is changes the way NPCs behave, or look like... And what's the deal with Option 1 if Option 2 exists?
If this has been answered already, then I apologize for asking something that already has been asked.

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Veteran Member
With Night Spirits, Option 2 makes them spanw from below rather than from above.

I don't know much more than you do, but so far I've used option 1 to create horizontal triggers (whereas option 2 makes vertical ones and neither of them results in a contact trigger).

Mar 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM
The Eternal Darkness
I didn't even set option 1 for H/V triggers and they act horizontal. Could somebody who knows about the options please give a list of what they do to sprites? I think the bed sprite used is the broken one when option 2 is set, and I think the First Cave bats fly more upward/downward with option 2 set.

Mar 2, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Professional Whatever
I don't know much more than you do, but so far I've used option 1 to create horizontal triggers (whereas option 2 makes vertical ones and neither of them results in a contact trigger).

Actually, one of them toggles horizontal and vertical (can't remember which >.>). Unchecked means horizontal. The other option toggles whether or not it's a contact trigger.

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Been here way too long...
1000 makes HV triggers vertical, and they always run on contact, no matter what flag work you do (unless you make them, like, not exist).

Mar 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Professional Whatever
I didn't know that. What does option 1 do then?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM
Veteran Member
My mistake.

Can anybody offer some insight on my Night Spirit problem? Please? :o