New profile posts

Imagine if that cleverly placed spike at the beginning of the game was a major antagonist
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I wouldn't call it cleverly placed, more-so the game doesn't teach you the importance of watching your step, real goof on Pixel's part.
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
How does the game not teach you "the importance of watching your step"? I feel like having a spike there that kills you if you don't watch your step silently teaches you to start watching your step.

Are you wanting text on the screen telling you to jump (despite being required to figure it out to get out of start point)? An arrow pointing to the spike telling you to avoid it?
ColdCallerLoopy
Got a 2019 isekai 2d indie game that had a single review, a negative one... and I liked it! Slapped together a little trailer:
A Dream of Burning Sand.
Mint
Mint
But I will not deny though that I also tend to shy from small indie stuff.
but that's mostly because im concerned about how much I'll actually get out of the games, I'm somewhat picky.
But who knows maybe I should go around taking some budget and buy some tiny name games, I'm sure there's lots of unique concepts out there in the small indie world!
X-Calibar
X-Calibar
*promotes moon higher into my wishlist* < I keep forgetting about that one.
And don't I know it. Rarely do I actually talk with friends about most indie games I have beyond a mention. I've gotten used to keeping it to myself, unless it's an exceptional or popular case.
... perhaps I should consider making videos to share some favorites or a thread of interesting daily indie releases... that might give some food for thought!
Mint
Mint
I've had the thought before of having my own site so I can blog whatever game niches on my mind or post reviews and stuff so I can talk about rarer games all I want.
Had a stroke because a friend's OC was named Minty Fresh, but on second thought it's not like it's an uncommon term.
tr0ylol
tr0ylol
lmao. though, im not sure how many dr minty fresh's there are out there
Mint
Mint
Who the heck even uses mint in their name :P
tr0ylol
tr0ylol
only losers:orangebell:
Happy 29th birthday on the 29th, even though you might never see this message, and even though I just got done saying the same thing to you over the phone.
deleting my discord was actually a huge sanity boost. i don't need it and they won't improve the constant issues so why bother
Hina
Hina
there's nothing brave in doing these things, sometimes you just have to think about yourself for a minute
Serri
Serri
I still have to use Discord cuz that's the only way I could talk to my closest friends, but hey, I've done the next best thing, and quit twitter a couple months ago.
Fatih
Fatih
It's at least a little brave since everyone and their grandma uses it; I'm currently in the process of getting rid of Discord myself. Proud of ya.
today i have finished end roll. started off as a bad and overly edgy rpg maker horror game and gradually turned into a good overly edgy rpg maker horror game as it progressed. i'd say that the early game pain was worth it. not much depth to the combat but even then it's not just rpg maker, but also rpg maker 2000 so i really don't see how much more could be done with the combat over than there being more status effects.
Now that I think about it, while the combat itself isn't interesting, a lot of things involving the combat itself is really interesting. You have to decide which party members you want (although I found myself always going with Tabasa and Gardenia before switching to Tabasa, Dogma, and Mierelle.) The type-2 weapons allow for some very powerful moves, but most of the time they give a huge debuff. Except for the throwing knife. Tabasa shredded everything with that. There is clearly a lot of focus on combat with the optional boss fights and the dungeons and all, but that doesn't really add so much when the interesting thing about combat is everything outside of the battles. I have been thinking about fighting the Informant, but he seems more like a "Spam Mega Heal-Al" than a superboss. At least he doesn't seem as bad as Memory Girl. I hated that boss.
I also found some of the battle themes to be too short, which gives me immense amounts of pain because Confront, Depths, Theme Battle, and Sky are really good.
EDIT: I found that the informant has 4350 HP and a lot of defense to go along with it. I'm not fighting him.
Suote
Suote
Your review intrigued me, so I went and played through the whole thing on a whim. Cool game in so many ways, but a lot of its fundamental design choices kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

The combat was tolerable, I guess. Though to be frank, "tolerable, I guess" is as good as traditional turn-based combat has ever gotten in my experience. Maybe I've just been playing bad RPGs, but it always seems like you're either super overpowered without even trying, or you have to grind for 500 hours every other dungeon because the devs decided "difficulty" means having enemies suddenly quintuple in strength. Thankfully, this game was in the former category.

For a while, I found it really hard to care about the story. The whole "it was all a dream" trope is the main premise, for cryin' out loud. The story begins by telling you that nothing in it matters, and it (almost) never does anything to convince you otherwise. I've played my fair share of edgy games with an anime style, and this one feels like it's trying to desensitize you to all the horrible violence and tragedy. The characters are kinda... one-note? Maybe 1.5-note? It's really hard for me to articulate, but like... the game gives a character a little bio when they're introduced. And it felt like those two-sentence long summaries told you virtually everything there is to know about them as people. They each had a couple personality traits established immediately, and everything they said and did afterwards rigidly followed those traits. It does make sense in context, but everyone except the protagonist felt really shallow as a result. That said, I may have missed a lot of cool bits of characterization; there is an insane amount of optional dialogue in this game.

But even still, towards the end I found myself caring a little. Though I had started the game emotionally detached from the story, the "pointless" world and characters grew on me. When the plot got overly bleak, I went from thinking "wow this is edgy" to "wow this is depressing". And by the True Ending, I was finally able to understand why, despite seeming pointless initially, the story did matter. Though the ending itself was a bit of an anticlimax to me, it works. The way I see it, the game indirectly acknowledges that its basic premise is flawed, and sends a powerful message about repentance in the process.

So yeah it's cool. I recommend it if you're into RPG maker games, lots of sidequests to do, and a tone that switches between happy-go-lucky and grimdark at the drop of a hat.
existingaccount
existingaccount
I agree. End Roll is really cool but it has a lot of flaws.
I think the game trying to desensitize you with the violence and tragedy is trying to get you to relate to Russel not feeling guilt about the people he murdered. However, that also kind of contradicts the point of trying to feel guilt.
Suote
Suote
I think the actual events in the story are pretty cool. The issue is in how Russel's backstory is presented for most of the game. He's a fine character, but most of the flashback-y scenes felt like the game was just throwing Bad Stuff at you without a clear purpose. But then towards the end... dunno. The dark stuff went from edgy to dread-inducing. I guess it's because when you start, you don't have any attachment to anything. But the more you help people out, the more Russel (and probably you, the player) cares about the world. It kinda fits with the whole guilt-program-thingy that the premise is built around. There are quite a few other works like that, where the beginning is WAY too edgy for its own good, but then it dials that back and delves deeper into the characters and world. And while the early parts have more shock factor, the bad stuff later on hits harder because you now have a reason to care about these people. End Roll is (kinda) one of those works.

Also yeah, I quite like the skill system and selecting your party members. One really cool touch is when a party member starts a boss fight with some negative status effect due to story reasons (e.g. they're fighting a ghost that looks like their dead mother, so they start the fight "unsure"). It's kind of a shame that you can just heal any status effect immediately at basically no cost. I would have liked to see a fight where a party member turns against you or something.
I want to hit a few more milestones before I go and make a proper thread for it (and I'll probably be busy over the next few days), but just minutes ago the CS Modding Discord server went public with a GitHub repository aimed at hosting as many freeware hacks as possible. It's still in early development but it's a long-term project we're aiming to build up first from the decades of past hacks scattered about, and then maintain it for the future.
Reddie
Reddie
Yeeeeaah! Freeware hack master list!
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
This is awesome. We never were too organized with all of the hacks the community had put together, so this will greatly help with keeping things documented.
Yet another day goes by where there is no VHDL implementation of the uPD7220. Truly a sad day!
Got a desktop today.
Infinityβ
Infinityβ
I forgot the exact specs, and I don't feel like going to the garage to check the box, but I'm pretty sure it has an AMD Ryzen, and Geforce thing in it.
I haven't actually been able to use the desktop since Sunday, because the monitor has stopped working for some reason. We're gonna get the monitor exchanged tomorrow. If another monitor doesn't work, we'll have to wait until May 13th to get someone to come to our house, and fix the issue, and I really don't feel like waiting that long. I just got this desktop, and I want to actually use it.
HaydenStudios
HaydenStudios
Oof, that's frustrating.
Infinityβ
Infinityβ
I exchanged that PC for another one, and the problem has been fixed.
Im posting this from my Ipad because my PC is acting like crap, Cant use my older computer either cause it has a hard drive error. This means that the new mod is getting delayed for a day or a week.
minecraftstorymodefan
minecraftstorymodefan
Nvm Computer turned on :) Will be posting the mod today :)

Have this little art that I just drew in the meantime,741A1C63-0AA0-406C-AB59-98AE43C6A2C6.png
TIL what the point of the mask is
Serri
Serri
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
It's Venom!!
I apologize for the post from yesterday.
I wasn't thinking straight, and something happened that caused me to become extremely upset.
I will be honest though, I'm sick of being in projects that become abandoned or cancelled.
AlmaHexie
AlmaHexie
I didn't see it.

Well, I can understand the mood, it's a bit hard to strive for in your projects when your motivation is at it's lowest, sometime the best thing to do is to take a break but that also can't be enough.
What I'd suggest you do however is try something new, writing, learning a language or anything else! Just find a new hobby to get your mind off of things.
Just posted here for the first time in like 7 years. Maybe I'll post more frequently.
Brayconn
Brayconn
Just posted here for the first time in like 7 hours. Maybe I'll post more frequently.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
Just posted for the time in like 7 days. I'll post more frequently.
Back