WTF story demo v 0.504

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
Re: WTF story demo v 0.3

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Just a quick notice:

-Version 0.4's release date is pushed back to thursday/friday. This is mainly due to the fact that I need sleep, and in hopes of finishing wtf-easy by then. And school, that's also been a factor.

And yes the flag 4000 issue will/should be fixed in ver 0.4.

Yeah! =D sounds good.

Keep up the good work!

Oh, and im jealous of your avatar

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

The time has finally come for an update. Version 0.4 has been released.

The file is a bit chunkier in size because Version 0.4 comes with:
-WTF story
-WTF Easy
-Org Viewer

As usual, the download links are located on the first post.

And here are the major changes:
-Secret missions 1 and 2 (in chapters 1 and 2) are easier to find, so you might want to just start a new file
-Chapter 3 has a lot more cutscenes (and some cutscene fixes), so you'll want to play through that
-Chapter 4 is chocked full of brand new content
-Portal gun is unlockable, although it's gameplay is rather untested and will likely lead to skipping parts/cutscenes if intentionally abused.
-Not sure if old saves will work with this version

Could a Moderator please change the title of this thread?

And also wow, nearly 20k views on this thread :D .

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:04 AM
"Huzzah!"

woohoo version zero point four! Nice~

... darn goddamned bats, here we go again, DL it right now...

EDIT: I played it and I like it so far...

wow new sfx, just like in your portal gun video :o

wow The lightning was change to beam of light.. now I'm looking forward to fighting interobang err black curly

wow you can save before trying the secret mission when your there cool :D

:( darn i can't Access secret mission 2... did you change it? going to look for it..
EDIT2: found it :D

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:06 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Pronouns: he/him
Played it, loved it. Looks like there's actually quite an interesting plot starting to shape up; can't wait to see what happens next!

also, portal gun is Civilization.

Also also, I found all the HP's this time :D

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM
"Huzzah!"
Re: WTF story demo v 0.4

I found all secret missions but number 2. I beat the game.

kinda wanted to play moar... =/

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
It's like I'm really frothing at the mouth while this downloads!

OH GOD WHY IS EVERYTHING RED
-Oh hey updated text and updated music and updated sfx and updated graphics. Clearly you haven't been working on this at all :D I don't think you need so many save points if there's a teleport point near every puzzle anyway.
-I still think the save point in the B@lrog fight isn't needed >_>
-Beat the tetris puzzle first time, OH YEAH. I don't suppose there's some kind of

Hidden text highlight (or click) to view:

prize for not-equipping the Booster?

-Hahaha, the new cube gun sounds great :D
-Oh boy, back here again... I have to say I liked the old mix of Sunset 3 better :(
-New story is cool, no skipflag isn't.
-Chapter 4 time! The new Bubbler looks neato, even if I don't know what it does yet >_> The story/cutscene stuff is really good, especially the use of the Doctor's red particles, and the hint and design for the fourth secret area are nicely done. I haven't commented on the new setup for the secret areas either, but I think it's a very nice way of doing it :o
-I swear I've heard this music somewhere before, I dunno if it was just in the org thread or what but sounds so familiar D:
-Oh so THAT'S what the Bubbler does. Nifty, although it'll take some getting used to how to use it.
-Ah, more lock puzzles! The moving blocks are a nice change from the normal ones, I'm gonna guess edited

Midoris

? They're a bit sticky in the way Quote sits on them, but it's not too bad. The bouncing off them is annoying though...
-Aaand now the moving blocks are working against me. I really like the design and tileset in this area, but the shortened edges on the corner tiles make it harder to judge my jumps properly :/ It kinda sucks how if you make one mistake you get hugely set back, but then again this is meant to be challenging :D
-This new area sure put a

spring

in my step ^____^ The physics for them are perfect btw.
-The not-critters love to knock me off, but I found a way to deal with each of them. I don't enjoy randomly shooting or falling off the trains by accident, but that's more a problem with the game's collision detection.
-The save points throughout here have been spaced just right IMO, far enough so that each area is challenging but not so far that it's a huge drag to play.
-The idea for the part with the 3 trains is cool, but failing to make it because you bounced off the train's butt isn't very fun :\ I don't know how you can fix that, but that part's barely possible as-is, so I guess maybe you could space it out a bit more.
-Those Presses are horrendous to try and land on top of because for some reason the game physics push me away unless I get the jump pixel-perfect. I'ma hax through this area, because it takes me a minute every time just to get back there and I'm sick of dying due to BOUNCING off things.
-Okay. Hax off. Time for some good ol' puzzlin'. Took me a minute to figure out how the puzzle works, but I got the hang of it soonish. I like the sign too :D
-Damnit this thing is HUGE... but I'm wise to your tricks >:o ...At least until they just stop altogether.
-Words words words... hee hee. And I wondered when stuff was gonna start doing 2 damage >_> Now I don't feel guilty about getting those upgrades anymore... on the other hand, I accidentally used up my RPG ammo, so there goes any help I was gonna get <_< Great boss fight regardless.
-Yay portal gun. I'll have some fun with this later on :(

The new chapter was really throughful and well-designed, even if some of the physics are a bit tetchy. It's great how each little area in-between the saves has its own idea. They keep getting longer too, chapter 2 seems kinda short now in comparison. Never mind the assembly, I shudder to think how long it took to code the matrix puzzle. The next chapter sounds like it won't be another mechanical area though, so I'll be interested to see what you do with that.

This mod is really setting the bar for what CS modding can achieve, and I can't overstate how impressed I am... so I won't :D Keeping the easy version as a separate mod is a good idea as well, probably saves a HEAP of time on coding flags. I would offer further encouragement, but that would be sappy and redundant, so have this picture of my cat instead:
100_5423.jpg

I wonder if that doesn't make this my longest post ever here ._.

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM
"Huzzah!"

DoubleThink said:
-Those Presses are horrendous to try and land on top of because for some reason the game physics push me away unless I get the jump pixel-perfect. I'ma hax through this area, because it takes me a minute every time just to get back there and I'm sick of dying due to BOUNCING off things.

You dont have to jump on the presses, you have to enrage the "train" to make it move you fast enough past. I would suggest doing this by using the bubbler on yourself right beforehand so that you can switch to the block gun while on the train.

For the second press train, you MUST use the block gun to insta-kill the enemies that will otherwise knock you off, and then re-enrage the train before it slows down mid-presses. It takes a bit, but you can do it.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

DoubleThink said:
-I swear I've heard this music somewhere before, I dunno if it was just in the org thread or what but sounds so familiar D:

Check the credits.txt, it has musical credits and such (the names of the orgs can be seen in org viewer).

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:51 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator

IAmSerge said:
stuff
Well I didn't expect that o_O Too clever for me, I guess.

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Check the credits.txt, it has musical credits and such (the names of the orgs can be seen in org viewer).
Note to self: learn to read stuff. That's what I get for playing this late at night :rolleyes:

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:04 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"

This is looking amazing!
I love the bubble weapon, but it's not really the best to use in most cases.
I'm up to the matrix puzzle bit and I hated the trial and error part of it. But what I hate even more about it is that bit where all the signs explode....That's just cruel.

Edit: Alright i've finished everything now. It may have just been dumb luck, but I did find my way out in the end and defeated the boss.
It's pretty interesting, finding out more about the characters but It was dissapointing that not much was explained about excerpt. Anyway, Interrobang was a pretty weird name. Didn't jacob say that it meant, to Rape someone as a means of interrogation?
It was pretty cool getting the portal gun at the start, after the end, but truth be told, I got slightly bored of it after a while. I guess I just wasn't so keen on starting again.
Keep up the brilliant work, and good luck with the next chapter!

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:22 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

Tonight I played through the newest demo. 5 things I liked the most:

1 The feeling of the title screen&music
2 Tetris
3 Depressing music at Generator really fits
4 System matrix - I don`t have the patience for puzzles, but I liked the matrix idea. I was in a hurry so had to cheat there, but I`ll try it at another occassion.
5 "Evil Curly" boss = WOW. Nice smoke effext after her too.

Keep up the good work!

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"

Interrobang is a "!?" but Jacob said it was raping someone as a means of interrogation. I played through the mod thinking that it was a weird name choice, until I actually found out it was a !?.

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM
"Huzzah!"

matrix puzzle was best

Takes a while, but then you can eventually realize whats going on. Here is my strategy to do this (DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANNA BE SPOILED THE PUZZLE!)

My strategy:

If youre going to read the signs, each time you get the "right" direction, you have 3 choices, 3 possible rights (the 4th direction, where you came from, is ignored) You can choose all but the middle of the 3 directions. This is for speed. If you choose the middle direction first, you will then have a choice of the other 2 directions, but since the other 2 are opposite, if you mess up, you have to go through a whole extra room to get it right. If you choose one of the two directions that are on the outside (not the middle direction) then you can always have a max of 3 rooms until right, instead of 4.

If you are going to ignore the signs completely, run in a counterclockwise pattern. The reason for this is that, at most, every 4 rooms you will always get one right (the reason this might be faster is because you dont waste time reading the signs). Why counterclockwise? When going counterclockwise, you go left, then down. because of the placement of the block and the holes in the walls of the matrix, by going left, it is extremely easy to fall down to the matrix room right below by accident. Counterclockwise just makes this probability work with you, by making going down always immediatley after going left.

=D

Dec 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator

I have a map which outlines the solution of the system matrix puzzle too (it's what I used to create the script). I may or may not release it, but if I ever make a walkthrough (not happening any time soon!) then it will probably be in there.

Dec 13, 2009 at 11:00 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Oooh, does it make a fun shape?

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"

Okay I started a new game with the portal gun.(On WTF easy to do it quickly)
And now a few things make more sense, because in the third demo, it looks like Curly is working for Excerpt, but when I played the 4th demo with an old save, it didn't quite make sense, until I played again.

But a lot of people were saying that they couldn't find the second secret mission, after you had changed the whereabouts. I managed to find it, and believe me, If I told you where it is (Which I won't) You would probably kick yourself. And this time 'round I found the fourth secret mission. It was pretty fun. I found that at the start, you can use the portal gun to skip about half of it, and if you time the jump right, with out taking any damage. After that bit it was a little bit easy.

Also the portal gun is a lifesaver in the train line bit where you have to shoot the train to speed through, and avoid the presses. That's about as far as I've gone, I really don't want to do the matrix puzzle again...

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:56 AM
The Bucket Fairy
"..."

I've been writing down a path through the System Matrix, but had to stop when my down key stopped working...
I'll spoiler what I have here if GIR lets me.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Great game. If you do well enough, IMHO, you may outshine pixel.
however, I found a glitch:

If you use the portal gun correctly in the sunset corridor, you can get by without any enemies, and in the generator room, you can farm hp missions, and keep the booster.

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:13 AM
Level 73 Procrastinator
*Shrug*

Overload said:
Great game. If you do well enough, IMHO, you may outshine pixel.
As good as the mod may be, that may be taking it too far...
I mean, it's a mod of Pixel's best game, of course it should be good :rolleyes:
Overload said:
however, I found a glitch:
And he warned you about glitches with the portal gun, that's why it's 'unlockable', for funny purposes only.
You've listed only a small amount of the glitches possible with the PG....

Back