Widescreen aspect ratio?

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:40 AM
Giving it my all and shooting for the moon.
Modding Community Discord Admin
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
There are some small maps that are made to specifically fit the dimensions of the screen, so in widescreen you would have black bars on each side. This is a pretty common map type (most indoor map).

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:00 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
QuoteHax said:
The hardest part would be extending the view range, How on earth would someone do that?
Easily! It took some time for me to figure it out, but it's not actually hard to adjust.

Mar 29, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
q3hardcore said:
Easily! It took some time for me to figure it out, but it's not actually hard to adjust.
I don't mean scrething it. I mean like actually extending the view.

Mar 29, 2015 at 9:56 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Well. if the PSP and 3DS version can do this, why not the PC version?

Mar 29, 2015 at 10:24 PM
"Huzzah!"
whatthepin said:
Well. if the PSP and 3DS version can do this, why not the PC version?
The PC version can do it.
But a little note here: If you mean the cartridge game (Cave Story 3D), it's not a direct port of the original or CS+ - they didn't just change a bit of the source code and bam.
If you meant the $10 download, disregard the above, since I think that was closer to a direct port of CS+, just remade for the 3DS engine.

Mar 30, 2015 at 12:49 AM
Stoned Member
I'm not underestimating him, I just honestly think It wouldn't be that easy to find the code for the rendering system.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:16 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
dude we've known it for years

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
QuoteHax said:
I'm not underestimating him, I just honestly think It wouldn't be that easy to find the code for the rendering system.
Have you never heard of or seen the double resolution hack before?

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Stoned Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Have you never heard of or seen the double resolution hack before?
I've seen and played them. What I think you guys are doing with those is making everything twice as big but with the normal "Resolution" modified. Just, How easy is it to modify it? What line of code is it on? I'm that guy who doesn't like hard things... Eh... Most hard things.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:37 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
QuoteHax said:
I'm that guy who doesn't like hard things... Eh... Most hard things.
Perhaps you should just sit out on this discussion, then, since it certainly wasn't easy to make double res a thing. It's not even entirely bug-free on all versions of windows.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:47 AM
duncathan said:
hax I feel like you're underestimating q3
@q3: any estimate on when we might see some progress?
Soon(tm). Basically, I still need to figure out exactly how full screen will work.

EDIT: I came across a useful tool, DxWnd, it allows Cave Story to run in a window in fullscreen mode ;)

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Stoned Member
q3hardcore said:
Soon(tm). Basically, I still need to figure out exactly how full screen will work.

EDIT: I came across a useful tool, DxWnd, it allows Cave Story to run in a window in fullscreen mode ;)
A widescreen... Of sorts. I shouldn't even complain, I honestly prefer to see my taskbar and things like that. So I assume you've made it to the point of... Widescreen. Have you encountered any problems with things appearing oddly? Is the fps bogged down (Apply the 60 fps hack if so, It's not that hard to do.) It probably is, or will be for some people due to some people having different graphic cards. I hope you manage to pull this off :D .

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
quotehax pls
your input is hilarious but I really think you would be better sitting out from discussing the technical vagueries of this endeavour unless you really enjoy making a fool of yourself

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:20 AM
QuoteHax said:
A widescreen... Of sorts. I shouldn't even complain, I honestly prefer to see my taskbar and things like that. So I assume you've made it to the point of... Widescreen. Have you encountered any problems with things appearing oddly? Is the fps bogged down (Apply the 60 fps hack if so, It's not that hard to do.) It probably is, or will be for some people due to some people having different graphic cards. I hope you manage to pull this off :D .
So.. I'm going to try replying to this anyway.

Regarding DxWnd:
DxWnd is just so I can test fullscreen without having to actually run Cave Story in fullscreen. It makes things a lot easier.
Using DxWnd does seem to affect the FPS slightly, but altering Cave Story's FPS code wouldn't magically improve things.
Fortunately, this isn't really an issue, because as I said, I'm just using DxWnd for testing fullscreen...

Now the following is regarding my actual progress on hacking Cave Story to run widescreen:
Some things appear very oddly in my experiments with widescreen, but I think I've figured out the causes.
I can get widescreen more-or-less working in a window right now, but various things like NPCs, I haven't addressed.

And some final notes:
There are a bunch of projects I'm working on at the moment, and the widescreen hack isn't exactly a high priority.
I'm guessing Noxid would probably be perfectly capable of writing a widescreen hack, so I'm kinda stalling to see if he does :p

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:24 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
q3hardcore said:
And some final notes:
There are a bunch of projects I'm working on at the moment, and the widescreen hack isn't exactly a high priority.
I'm guessing Noxid would probably be perfectly capable of writing a widescreen hack, so I'm kinda stalling to see if he does :p
You're assuming that Noxid has any reason to write this hack, which he does not. Or in other words, expect to be sorely disappointed.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:38 AM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
You're assuming that Noxid has any reason to write this hack, which he does not. Or in other words, expect to be sorely disappointed.
Hey, I don't have any reason to write this hack either!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:01 AM
Stoned Member
q3hardcore said:
So.. I'm going to try replying to this anyway.

Regarding DxWnd:
DxWnd is just so I can test fullscreen without having to actually run Cave Story in fullscreen. It makes things a lot easier.
Using DxWnd does seem to affect the FPS slightly, but altering Cave Story's FPS code wouldn't magically improve things.
Fortunately, this isn't really an issue, because as I said, I'm just using DxWnd for testing fullscreen...

Now the following is regarding my actual progress on hacking Cave Story to run widescreen:
Some things appear very oddly in my experiments with widescreen, but I think I've figured out the causes.
I can get widescreen more-or-less working in a window right now, but various things like NPCs, I haven't addressed.

And some final notes:
Understandable.

I have a question:
What does the gui look like? Where is it cropped to? I also think it would technically make things faster still with 60 fps because it would increase the limit, while scaling the images up causes things to be slower. I presume increasing that limit would be helpful as to it... eh...

Lets just say on my old computer, Everything was slow. So when I want things to sound more accurate, I increase the speed to 50 to simulate 10. It turned out well, and I changed things back to normal when done. It's really just personal preference, It may or may not work for some people.