The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

Mar 8, 2009 at 6:11 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
More motherfucking magic. It's a bunch of magic, MAGIC, MAGIC EVERYWHERE!

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Robots do not equal magicks. JOOR FACE FAILS AT... FACE.

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:29 AM
/end
Never said anything about robots.

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:19 AM
Banned
So? Cave Story has robots. That automatically rules out magic.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:34 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Final Fantasy 6(j) had robots. And magic. It's called Magitech.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Umm, hellooo? Ballos? Jenka? Misery?

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Who? Tolkien antagonists?

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM
In front of a computer
andwhyisit said:
Though I can prove that Plantation isn't open to the sky considering that it is walled off by hell, the jail cave, the rest of the island, last cave, and it obviously doesn't open to the outer wall except through two sets of doors.
You're forgetting that the island is three-dimensional. There's definitely room for it the Plantation to be open to the sky, most likely up near the Last Cave entrance.

andwhyisit said:
Also if there is absolutely no natural light source in the caves, how the hell was booster, sue, etc. able to see without carrying torches?
Where are you referring to here?

andwhyisit said:
And how was there a room where Quote couldn't see in the game.
I dunno. Maybe there's just something unusual about that room – the walls might be transparent, for instance. But he's still able to map out the entire room if he has the map system.

andwhyisit said:
I think the question is more: how do the "lighter" caves have light at all without a "light source".
Which caves are the "lighter" caves?

andwhyisit said:
Also how did Sue not notice the glowing eyes in the egg corridor if what you say is true?
The Egg Corridor has electrical lighting. It's sort of a science lab, after all.

Fire1052 said:
No it doesn't, though with magic a robot is more commonly called a golem.

Mar 8, 2009 at 3:05 PM
This Troper
Celtic Minstrel said:
You're forgetting that the island is three-dimensional. There's definitely room for it the Plantation to be open to the sky, most likely up near the Last Cave entrance.
But if what you are saing was true, then there would be no reason for Quote to go all the way through the Last Cave. He could take the rocket through that hole instead.

Celtic Minstrel said:
No it doesn't, though with magic a robot is more commonly called a golem.
I get the feeling that you're all forgetting that the "magic" business is pretty acknowledged in-game.
The Goddess? said:
Did you know that the witch-woman Jenka once had a brother?
Ballos said:
Ages upon ages ago, in fear of enduring further punishment, I allowed my magic to run wild...

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:05 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Magic and Robots can coexist.
I vote for a mix of electric lighting, bioluminescence and holes in walls/ceilings of caves.

Quick note: Jenka's fireplace isn't lit. I always found that a bit odd.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:35 PM
Banned
I vote for my theory, since apparently we're voting now.

Quick reply to your note: she has five puppies that run around. They would burn if she lit the damn thing up. Plus it's in the heat of the desert.

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:33 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Isn't your theory something about Sand Crocs?

Note: Then why have a fireplace?

Mar 8, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fire1052 said:
I vote for my theory, since apparently we're voting now.
It is better to support your idea instead of voting for it.

Celtic Minstrel said:
If there was a hole to the sky near the Last Cave entrance, why the hell would Quote rocket to last cave instead of out the hole. The reason for going through last cave is because there isn't a hole, there is no light from outside, the plantation is walled off from all sides.

Fire1052 said:
Both magic and advanced technology exist in the Cave Story's world. Both are mentioned in-game.

Icarus said:
Bioluminescent organisms rarely give off White Light, which would of course be required to view the full spectrum of colour.
True. But that is rarely the case with fiction.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Banned
andwhyisit said:
Both magic and advanced technology exist in the Cave Story's world. Both are mentioned in-game.

Well I still don't think they can see because of magic. That kinda dumb, don't you think?

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:55 AM
This Troper
Fire1052 said:
Well I still don't think they can see because of magic. That kinda dumb, don't you think?
The Island floats because of magic. Okay, so that theory is not 100% certain, but still the most plausible. So why can't there be light because of magic?

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Banned
Because there's already sources of light throughout the cave. Other theories don't make much more sense; it's a videogame. Just saying, "oh screw it, it must be magic or something" isn't very much fun, though.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:36 PM
This Troper
What sources? I don't remember seeing any explicit sources of light throughout the game. And are you implying that any theory doesn't make sense because CS is a videogame? 'Cause that's the only way to interpret your message I can think of.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:38 PM
Banned
I'm saying that every theory makes sense because it's a game. So saying that it's the fault of magic seems like a lazy way out, instead of actually theorising about it yourself.

Mar 9, 2009 at 12:52 PM
This Troper
Huh, makes sense... Okay, back on page 1 I posted "Natural optical fibers", which was somehow ignored. That means that, basically, the Island has this materal leading through all its rock and it leads the sunlight from the outside to the caves. How's that for a theory?

Mar 9, 2009 at 1:09 PM
In front of a computer
It's an interesting one, certainly...

T-Jack said:
But if what you are saing was true, then there would be no reason for Quote to go all the way through the Last Cave. He could take the rocket through that hole instead.
andwhyisit said:
If there was a hole to the sky near the Last Cave entrance, why the hell would Quote rocket to last cave instead of out the hole. The reason for going through last cave is because there isn't a hole, there is no light from outside, the plantation is walled off from all sides.
Well, maybe the other hole is too small for the rocket to fit through. Or it's much higher up than the Last Cave, and Momorin and Itoh were unable to create a rocket that can go that high.