The Mother of All Cave Story Questions

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:48 AM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Negative energy isn't always red.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:57 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Purple bears are gay, blackbears exist, and so do grey ones. Do you know of any other negative colors?

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:01 AM
/end
Negative energy can be any color, it isn't limited.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:10 AM
Banned
But if it's a warm color other than red or it's lighter than dark, it's positive energy. o-o

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:18 AM
/end
No, neither positive or negative energy is limited to what color it can be.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:42 AM
Banned
Yes it sure as hell is.

Mar 7, 2009 at 5:49 AM
Banned
Fine then. There is obviously no difference in different types of vibes by your definition.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:12 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Negative energy is named after it's nature, not it's colour. Though if the negative energy was a light antithesis like Misery's black lightning then it will always be black. But the name "negative energy" in this case is more because Ballos' magic is in most cases destructive or corrupting in nature. Though I doubt Ballos' magic produces enough light as waste energy to light up a room, if at all (besides those lightning spells that is), else it would be so bright in the seal chamber that you couldn't see a bloody thing.

Mar 7, 2009 at 7:28 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Okay, well that argument sort of went downhill quickly.

Doesn't this argument apply to a bunch of other games with caves that have no visible light source? Zelda, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy and Super Mario are all games (among many others) that are guilty of this at some point or another.

Mar 7, 2009 at 3:57 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Well, Zelda and Chrono Trigger often have lightsources...

Anyway, after looking back over the Inferno section of my copy of The Divine Comedy (it's pretty much a handbook for hell) I noticed that light sources are never mentioned in it. So I'll venture to say that it's lit by some Divine Power. If we apply this to Cave Story's Hell, it clears up that little bit of confusion. And I suppose it's possible that the rest of the island is lit similarly.

Mar 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Maybe Quote's eyes glow.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
How does everyone see when Quote's not there? How did no-one recognise Quote as a robot if he, by your assumption, had glowing eyes? How the heck does Grasstown's plants survive on the light of Quote's eyes when he was never there for over 99% of the life of the island?

Ecosystems with low or no light usually have their own ways of producing light. So I would agree with the bioluminescent organisms idea.

Mar 7, 2009 at 9:55 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Or we can go with the IT'S A GAME. LIVE WITH IT. idea.

I doubt that Pixel really put that much thought into this. Nor most game designers. And Chrono and Zelda didn't ALWAYS have light sources.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM
In front of a computer
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
Speculation is fun, though! :p
andwhyisit said:
How does everyone see when Quote's not there?
You never meet anyone else in the darker caves, so even if someone else does go that way they probably have their own light.

andwhyisit said:
How did no-one recognise Quote as a robot if he, by your assumption, had glowing eyes?
In order to save energy, his eyes only glow when there is insufficient light for him to see without glowing eyes. Hence, in Grasstown and the Mimiga Village (and probably other places too), his eyes were not glowing.

andwhyisit said:
How the heck does Grasstown's plants survive on the light of Quote's eyes when he was never there for over 99% of the life of the island?
Grasstown's open to the sky. It's probably on the outside of the island, much like the Outer Wall except much higher.

Mar 8, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Celtic Minstrel said:
Grasstown's open to the sky. It's probably on the outside of the island, much like the Outer Wall except much higher.
Though I can prove that Plantation isn't open to the sky considering that it is walled off by hell, the jail cave, the rest of the island, last cave, and it obviously doesn't open to the outer wall except through two sets of doors.

Also if there is absolutely no natural light source in the caves, how the hell was booster, sue, etc. able to see without carrying torches? And how was there a room where Quote couldn't see in the game.

Celtic Minstrel said:
You never meet anyone else in the darker caves, so even if someone else does go that way they probably have their own light.
I think the question is more: how do the "lighter" caves have light at all without a "light source". Also how did Sue not notice the glowing eyes in the egg corridor if what you say is true?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Bioluminescent organisms rarely give off White Light, which would of course be required to view the full spectrum of colour.

The island is made of swiss cheese.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM
Banned
So, uh... I still think my theory fills all of these little contradictions... Even though it's the least explainable...

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:46 AM
/end
Jester Frog said:
Or we can go with the IT'S A GAME. LIVE WITH IT. idea.

I doubt that Pixel really put that much thought into this. Nor most game designers. And Chrono and Zelda didn't ALWAYS have light sources.

This. ^

Also, it's motherfucking magic mang.

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:51 AM
Banned
And?