The first time you played Cave Story...

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:33 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Yeah, I would get the PC version, but what't the point? I've already nearly beaten the DSI version (and the Jukebox in the DS version is awesome).

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:11 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
It all started previous friday when I heard there were new Wii Ware demo's (note that I live in The Netherlands, so don't think like: "Wut, new demo's?!).
I was going to try them all. When I downloaded the Cave Story Demo and clicked on the channel, I was sooo amazed by that awesome theme song. From that moment, even when I didn't played the game, I loved the game already!
So when I was done playing the demo, I thought: This is awesome! And I was looking for information on the internet, and found out that you could play it for free on your computer. So I downloaded, and I played, and I didn't stopped.
When I was done with the game, I knew that you could end different. So right now, I'm playing the game again, and try to get the 100%. And if I don't, I play it again.

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:21 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Badnik96 said:
Yeah, I would get the PC version, but what't the point? I've already nearly beaten the DSI version (and the Jukebox in the DS version is awesome).

Eh, not a requirement, but the dialogue is significantly different at times.
Many of the jokes on these here forums revolve around quotes from the game, so playing the original would be a good idea.
Also it's at the original 50fps on PC, unlike the DS (i think the DS runs 60fps)

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Hey.
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
cultr1 said:
Although, the DSi version of Cave Story is much better than the Wii version.

How is that?

I'd say what the first time I played it was like, but I honestly can't remember.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:41 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I've only played CS on my PC and my bro's PSP. Those are almost identical if you ignore some trivial things like resolution and slightly altered music in some parts.

Dec 30, 2010 at 12:48 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
That's because the PSP is almost an exact port of the PC version and untouched by Nicalis

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:01 AM
Pirate Member
If I ever meet the person who ported it, I'll shake his hand!

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:51 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
cultr1 said:
Eh, not a requirement, but the dialogue is significantly different at times.
Many of the jokes on these here forums revolve around quotes from the game, so playing the original would be a good idea.
You don't think I know about huzzah? I know all about huzzah.

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:24 AM
Haha not entirely the huzzah, but at least you're partially informed :3

Dec 30, 2010 at 4:28 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
There aren'y any other quotes that are really significantly changed.
At least I don't think?! :rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM
Pirate Member
Dec 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
The first time I played Cave Story, I didn't realise you could scale the Outer Wall.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM
Demon taming, headphone wearing, casanova
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I first found out about cave story when i saw one of the nintendo week episodes on december i got interested so i searched and found this place i played it and loved it i tried to get the best ending with the spur but to no avail i got the wiiware version i got curly mode and since im a sucker for extra modes played her mode i decided to try the snake and i actually beat the sanctuary about a month ago with it ever since i fell in love with cave story and yea im new here.and i didnt know s.p had a sue fetish no offense of course.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:22 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I play Cave Story on the DSi...
My story:

I played it first on Wii as a demo and I was stuck in Mimiga Village for about half an hour because I couldn't find where Toroko ran to. :confused:
So after I was done the Demo I bought it on the DSi because I loved the demo.

-later, in labyrinth-
Yay, Curly is coming with meee :p:heart:
I beat the core with her, "High-five!" but then I thought I would have to do it again cuz it was flooding. After Curly gave me her tank I was sure there would be a way to save her, then the blastdoor closed and I was so guilty and sad I went online to see if there was a way, made a new file and played through just cuz Curly's the best. :heart:
-later, in sanctuary-
Oh look Curly is there!:heart: -Dies way too many times- OMGtube is this even possible?!?:mad: -makes new file on Easy and come back-
Finally! I did it!!!
And then I decided to take a nap.

Best game EVER.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I was going to get Cave story on the PC, but my dumb computer can't download anything, (not sure why..) . Everyday I watched videos on youtube of Cave story. It looked epic and amazing. Then it hit me. I have a Dsi, so i got the Dsi ware version!!! :mahin: When I started I was like OH MY GOD I'M ACTUALLY PLAYING CAVE STORY!!!!!!!!! WOOO! :awesomeface: I had to delete my game two times because I didn't get the good ending. But on my 3rd file I cant beat the part with the Undead Core, sue, and misery. Still cant.:debug:I saved the app to an Sd card so I can put it in the 3ds and play it. But it won't let me because I have to have a stupid system update. I updated, but still wont let me. I. Am. TOO. DEPRESSED. Anyway, Cave Story is the best game of ALL TIME. No wii, ds, game is better than Cave Story. Xd :hoppy:

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:47 PM
Wait till you get your hands on the PC version, son
:awesomeface:

Apr 11, 2011 at 12:49 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
I first found Cave Story... five years ago, maybe six, though I don't remember how. I didn't get any sort of recommendation from a friend, I simply found it while browsing through the tubes and decided I'd give it a go. I did nothing but play it that whole weekend until I beat it. Although it has plenty of good points that I enjoyed and grew fond of, there's one thing that deserves the most mention.

Toroko's death made me cry like a little bitch for a straight week.

Despite how little screen time she gets, I grew to like her pretty quickly. She obviously lacked any sort of strength, and when you combine that with her efforts and drive to stand up for what's right, I found that incredibly endearing. Then there was the Sand Zone fight. When Toroko poofed (i.e. died) after defeated, I thought she was warped away. "Okay, I calmed her down and she's elsewhere. Good." Then King went poof, and that made me stop to think for a moment. Oh lordy did that hurt, knowing that not only did she die, but she was killed by your own hand.

For the next week I was a complete wreck, I couldn't focus on any of my work. Admittedly, around that time I was generally stressed out and overall a little less stable, but still. That's part of why Cave Story is one of my favorite games, because not only is it rare that a game strikes a genuine heartstring like that, I don't any other game has hit me that hard. I know it seems kinda silly getting worked up over the death of someone who doesn't exist, but good storytelling is all about emotional attachment, I suppose.

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Ah ha ha, what a fucking paI MEAN That was a touching story. I don't think Cave Story has had such an effect on any of us.
I gotta ask, what's your opinion on Toroko's Theme?

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:13 AM
A old relic from older days
"..."
Yes yes, I'm a pansy sometimes.

Toroko's Theme? Neutral. As far as compositions go, it's kinda bland, and it doesn't help that you don't hear it in game unless you speedrun hell fast enough. Now, White/King's Theme, on the other hand...

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:50 AM
Oh. I feel like White and Toroko's Theme are funeral songs for King and Toroko, since you hear them after the game, when the Mimigas have time to mourn their dead. They are both pretty emotional to me.

But I certainly didn't hear them the first time I played Cave Story.