The Dark Platform - After The Fact (Mod)

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
DL link seems to be broken?

:D

Apr 9, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
thrik said:
DL link seems to be broken?

:D

Try this:
http://cid-cce755dc89494679.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/TDP7.exe

Anywho, since I made the post, I may as well add a few notes on progress.
  1. I've begun Secondary, and practically finished Internal Defence. Just contemplating adding an Expansion Pack or Charge Canister.
  2. NPC-edited Curly so her bullets do 3 and hitting her does 1.
  3. NPC-edited the Night Spirit so it does 127 on hit and drops 27 xp, its shots do 1, and the shots are shootable and drop xp and health/missiles.
  4. NPC-edited Behemoth to have more HP and drop more xp.

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
thought the boxes were ugly. thought i could do better. jumpy/flying dude :)
jumpy.png
(bored, lookingatcha, 3-frame flying; the dark blue is meant to be the background colour and there's a 1-pixel border around every frame so i can see what it looks like)

anyway, i can't get past curly. i'm stunning her when she charges her gun, but i can only get her down to a little under half health before i run out of my three air blast thingies. not jumping (learned my lesson there), just spamming lazor bolts and shooting the rocket once in a while. so what am i doing wrong?

Apr 11, 2009 at 10:55 PM
Dekker3D said:
thought the boxes were ugly. thought i could do better. jumpy/flying dude :)
jumpy.png
(bored, lookingatcha, 3-frame flying; the purple is meant to be the background colour)

anyway, i can't get past curly. i'm stunning her when she charges her gun, but i can only get her down to a little under half health before i run out of my three air blast thingies. not jumping (learned my lesson there), just spamming lazor bolts and shooting the rocket once in a while.

Well then Dekker, I may have the answer to your prayers:
http://cid-cce755dc89494679.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/Tdp8.exe

A notable tweak includes Curly has reduced health and her shots do 3 instead of 6. ;) (Believe it or not, this was intended since the beginning. I just didn't have the tools/skills to fix it.)

And.
I agree.
The boxes are ugly. >_>
No offence Lace.
Could you emails me the sprite as a BMP?
I should most certainly like to use it.

Apr 11, 2009 at 11:41 PM
they're lossless, pngs. i saved as 16-colour bmp first, then to png to preserve those colours as i put them on photobucket. if you download them and save as 16-colour bmp again, it should be exactly as i have it here. but if you really want me to send them, sure.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:11 AM
Got it.
-Makes appropriate changes to bg color-
Oh yeah.
Just so you know, black (0,0,0) is always transparent for CS graphics.
And this definantly beats the hell out of rocket-boxes.
x3
-Adds Dekker to credits-

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:55 AM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
oh, I agree that the boxes are ugly too.
I have absolutely no spriting skill, the drone things are about as far as I can go.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:21 AM
Lace said:
oh, I agree that the boxes are ugly too.
I have absolutely no spriting skill, the drone things are about as far as I can go.

Roffle.
Oh yeah.
I've discovered that, with regards to editing entity, #233 (listed as CRASH in Sue's) is the little bats attached to Orange Bell.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:16 PM
soo.. no using black, then. what's the colour limit in cave story? standard 16-colour? 256? guessing from the original graphics, i'd say 16..

anyway, i uploaded a different version that has a 4-frame flying animation which seems a bit more alive, and also includes a falling sprite. if i recall correctly, the hoppy things had one too. also changed the background to black and the black parts to dark blue.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:25 PM
/end
DragonBoots said:
p30896-1-start.jpg

Anyone remember when the Start of my mod looked like this?
Compared to:

p31136-1-newstart.jpg

That is in fact the last time I played this mod. I should get up to date.

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:22 PM
kept on spriting for a bit yesterday, and fixed it up today..
junk.png
junk.png
spikes.png
junk.png
spikes.png
spikes.png
junk.png

two spike tiles. one is supposed to be red glass or some other kind of crystalline structure, and the other is random sharp junk. figured you could use more junk. ya know, with half the spaceship being ravaged and stuff?

Apr 12, 2009 at 1:31 PM
just fyi, there's no color limit, go crazy.

Apr 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM
okaaaay... argh. so that means two things: less of a challenge, and the work i've done this far could've been better. oh well.. i'll adjust.

spikes2.png
spikes2.png
spikes2.png
Adjusted!
spikes.png
spikes.png
spikes.png

Apr 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Apr 14, 2009 at 7:00 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh hey, quite a lot of stuff actually seems to have changed this update, so I'll actually post on it. Never mind spoilers, this is the same stuff people have been doing for months...
-I'm pretty sure that jump up to the top of the first area is harder now. And I FINALLY figured out how to get that first life upgrade!
-Curly ain't so tough now, especially since I'm used to beating her without being able to take a hit >_>
-Don't know if I mentioned this but it's possible to "burn up in the atmosphere" just by going near the edge of the map rather than off it.
-Figured out how to get the third one too... and I'll probably need it, because I ditched the Basic Matrix AND didn't take the Chainlaser...
-Errr, now for some reason all of my weapon levels are removed when I fight the Rotten Roast. Unless there's some extra ammo somewhere for the IGR Cannon I'm assuming it's impossible now because I can't do more than half its health with one clip. Maybe it was meant to make it harder, or I'm not meant to get it if I choose to miss both the other weapons, but "Penicillin" seems kinda important D:
-I can fight the boss now, but if I leave before talking to 'Jenka' and then re-enter she disappears. Might wanna make the room un-leave-able until you speak to her. Boss itself is pretty easy, but it's balanced out by the fact that if I take a hit I can't even beat it anymore...
-Scratch that, nothing actually happens if you speak to her >_> Maybe she's not meant to be there?
-Veeery interesting conversation (or lack thereof) in the Staff Quarters.
-I'm assuming the irrigation is working now because the pipe doesn't make me explode anymore...
-That moving block puzzle is more difficult than it looks at first glance. At least I didn't die while trying on this one...
-Screw it, I'm getting the Chainlaser, otherwise I'll never get past those Deleets.
-As usual, Lv3 Machine Gun makes everything loads easier... Unfortunately there hasn't really been any reason to get the Enviro-Field yet, but maybe that'll pop up later.

Nothing else really to add from last time, new stuff is all good, although a non-Chainlaser game is gonna be a pain. I'll wait and see what Curly turns the Basic Matrix into to see if it's worth it, otherwise maybe I'll hold onto it and try again with it.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Dekker3D said:
kept on spriting for a bit yesterday, and fixed it up today..
junk.png
junk.png
spikes.png
junk.png
spikes.png
spikes.png
junk.png

two spike tiles. one is supposed to be red glass or some other kind of crystalline structure, and the other is random sharp junk. figured you could use more junk. ya know, with half the spaceship being ravaged and stuff?

Roffle.
"All the junk, refuse and offalof the platform Nova III is diligently collected, melted down, and made into more junk, refuse and offal."
And the station is actually remarkably intact, considering...
>_>

Anyways, back to my hovel to rough-draft Secondary and Primary...
And rough out the scripts, too.

Hmmm...
Too soon for a Core fight?

DoubleThink said:
Oh hey, quite a lot of stuff actually seems to have changed this update, so I'll actually post on it. Never mind spoilers, this is the same stuff people have been doing for months...
-I'm pretty sure that jump up to the top of the first area is harder now. And I FINALLY figured out how to get that first life upgrade!
-Curly ain't so tough now, especially since I'm used to beating her without being able to take a hit >_>
-Don't know if I mentioned this but it's possible to "burn up in the atmosphere" just by going near the edge of the map rather than off it.
-Figured out how to get the third one too... and I'll probably need it, because I ditched the Basic Matrix AND didn't take the Chainlaser...
-Errr, now for some reason all of my weapon levels are removed when I fight the Rotten Roast. Unless there's some extra ammo somewhere for the IGR Cannon I'm assuming it's impossible now because I can't do more than half its health with one clip. Maybe it was meant to make it harder, or I'm not meant to get it if I choose to miss both the other weapons, but "Penicillin" seems kinda important D:
-I can fight the boss now, but if I leave before talking to 'Jenka' and then re-enter she disappears. Might wanna make the room un-leave-able until you speak to her. Boss itself is pretty easy, but it's balanced out by the fact that if I take a hit I can't even beat it anymore...
-Scratch that, nothing actually happens if you speak to her >_> Maybe she's not meant to be there?
-Veeery interesting conversation (or lack thereof) in the Staff Quarters.
-I'm assuming the irrigation is working now because the pipe doesn't make me explode anymore...
-That moving block puzzle is more difficult than it looks at first glance. At least I didn't die while trying on this one...
-Screw it, I'm getting the Chainlaser, otherwise I'll never get past those Deleets.
-As usual, Lv3 Machine Gun makes everything loads easier... Unfortunately there hasn't really been any reason to get the Enviro-Field yet, but maybe that'll pop up later.

Nothing else really to add from last time, new stuff is all good, although a non-Chainlaser game is gonna be a pain. I'll wait and see what Curly turns the Basic Matrix into to see if it's worth it, otherwise maybe I'll hold onto it and try again with it.

The 'burning up in the atmosphere' thing is a bit of a pain. For it to work properly, the trigger has to be off the map. I'll see if I can figure out a solution.
Did you check the chest at the foot of the bed? :)
And just FYI, I'd hold onto the Basic Matrix.
The weapon Curly give you'll only be useful for a level or two.
And you need the enviro-field for... A certain optional challenge yet to be... Drafted.

And, ohay.
Nothing really that new. But I've fixed the installer so the shorcuts work regardless of where you install it.

Apr 15, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
DragonBoots said:
Did you check the chest at the foot of the bed? :(
DoubleThink said:
Unless there's some extra ammo somewhere for the IGR Cannon I'm assuming it's impossible now because I can't do more than half its health with one clip.
Besides, I needed that for the Autothresher >_>;

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM
okay, i may be a bit biased here, but those little monsters turned out adorable!
shall i make some more sprites? i'm enjoying this :D

also, i finally managed to beat curly.. yay me :p

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM
DoubleThink said:
Besides, I needed that for the Autothresher >_>;
Check the box again after you use it. ;3

Dekker3D said:
okay, i may be a bit biased here, but those little monsters turned out adorable!
shall i make some more sprites? i'm enjoying this :D

also, i finally managed to beat curly.. yay me :p

=D
Feel free to sprite to your hearts content.
Mind if I put in a request?
And gratz on beating Curly.
And I agree, the little buggers are adorable.

Apr 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM
You know DragonBoots, you're a fucking jerk. No body likes you, and you suck ass every day. You should die up a tree, because you've failed at everything you've ever attempted.