The Dark Platform - After The Fact (Mod)

Aug 31, 2008 at 7:21 AM
Luls
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
atl5607 said:
That's too bad. :p

Yea the fight with Curly was easy after you thought about it. At some parts of the fight when I jumped and the red things hit me, it didn't reduce my health.

I think i know what's the problem.

DB, did you place any h/v triggers anywhere on the boss fight map? Because youc an't get hurt if you are in an event currently playing.

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:13 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
hmm?
I got killed by the red projectiles my first two times while playing through the boss.
Why didn't they hurt you guys?

Aug 31, 2008 at 4:18 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Lace said:
hmm?
I got killed by the red projectiles my first two times while playing through the boss.
Why didn't they hurt you guys?

It depends on where you are jumping.

Like when I was on the left platform and the projectiles came at me, it missed me.

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:48 PM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
I also think it's an issue with the triggers... the times I got hit by them, my invincibility didn't last, meaning another event got triggered. It's a tricky problem...

What if there was an event on the ground, and once you trigger the projectiles, the projectile triggers turn off (i.e. changed to sprite 0) and the event on the ground gets turned into a trigger, so when you land on the ground again, the projectile triggers are turned on again, and the trigger on the ground turned off? That way it's not constantly triggering events whenever you're in the air, and will reset it once you land again.

Anyway, I tried the boss while dodging the projectiles and I still beat it easily.

Aug 31, 2008 at 9:07 PM
Yeah, the boss isn't that hard.
The problem is sort of wierd though...

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Justin-chan
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
It would be hard if the projectiles hit you. I'm guessing Curly can't hurt you as well because of you being in an event that triggers the red projectiles.

Sep 1, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Luls
Lol the boss is extremely easy.

Just open the game in Sue's Workshop and find out where the event triggers are.

Next, stand at where the event triggers affect you and pwn the boss.

After that, you own bos.

Teh end.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:04 PM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
o.o''
Yeah, I kinda noticed the lack of collisions myself.
I shall try to correct this, though it will prolly be a long time coming, as the script for the Defense Grid is long and annoying...
>.<

Anyways, it is a fairly minor glitch that I'm not too worried about...
Though I may replace the red death thingys with spikes or sumthin'.
Or remove the <WAS at the end of the script...
Yeah...
I think it's the <WAS that screws it up.
So, I guess I'll set it to remove the H/V trigger then use one on the ground to replace it.

xD
*Steals Lyger's idea*

I'm honestly surprised that this is still discussed, what with me being dead for a week and a half...

Anyways, Flyline and ImpactBOLD are coming along, though Flyline is going to have to be a two-part map...
I coulda sworn there was a TSC command to change the background...
But I was wrong.

Anyways, happy falling!

- Bootsy

Sep 3, 2008 at 7:38 AM
Luls
Lolwut Boosty...? That's sounds friggin wrong.

Btw, one suggestion. You can use <FLA instead of the fade in and out commands to hide the fact that you have been transported through different maps.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:32 AM
Well.
Dead for now.
Temporary hiatus?

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Well, I suppose I should inform everyone who still cares:

Update ahoy!

Also, Mr. J is great.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:25 AM
It's a Sony
"Keep on rollin'!"
He's alive! HE'S ALIVE![/Rafiki voice]

HAY DUDE!

Well, the bossfight was harder but once you figure out where and when to jump, pretty simple. The rest so far is pretty sweet! I assume it ends in the room with the x walls?

Dec 2, 2008 at 5:53 AM
Justin-chan
HOLY SHIT YOU'RE BAX

anywya, downloading

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:38 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
O hay an installer, that's fancy. Don't remember much about this mod, so let's have a look-see...
COAGULATORS
-The ? at the start says "You may be surpirsed by what items do."
-The floaty-box-critters still follow you when you walk above them, and it's still possible to bunch them up so that you can shoot them all at once since they can't move past the barrier. Critters are a pain like that... Maybe set a V-trigger so that they only appear when you first cross the barrier?
-I like the graphical upgrade so far, gives the game a really cool technological atmosphere, especially the background.
-I got the Direcrional Controls, but then when I look at them in the menu, it just calls it "Part".
-Haha! I shall now defeat my enemies... with AIR!!!!!!!
-How do I get into the Personal Shel... ooooh. Tricky!
-Don't know how you managed the wall-lasers in the boss fight, but they are muchly awesome (oh right, H-trigger). However, I don't always seem to get hurt when they hit me.
-I take it that's not meant to be Curly...
-How'd you get the elevator to move sideways? o_O
-The music in the two-way room becomes loud again after getting an item, or if you reset.
-The Part has now again changed to a Boost Matrix! O_o

This mod is genuinely interesting so far, with some very nice graphics to boot, and it's got some new and nice gameplay ideas in it too, like that boss fight. Heh, I'm really gonna have to get around to modding myself soon, before everybody else thinks of everything before me :D I'm glad to see you're still working on it, since it's starting to turn into something seriously good.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:26 PM
Yay!
You're Back! :D
Sorry about not doing what I said I'd do, thought you were dead. :o
Oh well,

Afreet

Edit: Those, amazing critters! such INGENUITY!!!, and the BATS, and the ITEM IMAGES! Such great work!!! Wonder who made them? (lol)

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Huzzah, he has returned!

The signal worked! The almighty DragonBoots has returned!

To those who don't know what I mean, it was from this bottom of this post- http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/49232/

Anyway, as for the mod...

Amazing work, especially with the boss battle room. Now the Defense Grid really lives up to its name! I kept getting owned everytime I jumped (Unlike the former Grid, though I don't think I posted about that), so I had to use the IGR Cannon strategically to stop "Curly" from firing shots at me, then switch back to the Basic Matrix & shoot as fast as possible in the time remaining before another attempt to attack me.

Also, if you move as fast as possible & jump continuously past the last airlock up on the highest point of the Observatory Platform, you can keep your momentum & run into the broken robot pieces past the event trigger while it tries to display the text (By tries, I mean when the pieces are touched, the player dies as normal, but the text from the event trigger immediately disappears).

I suspect ImpactBOLD hasn't been completed, yet? I was stopped in midair by some small X's along the way...

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:44 AM
Direct link to the update!

Hope you like it, I tried to fix a few of the typos pointed out by DT (Thanks).
As for the Curly/??? after-fight sex change, can't be avoided yet (until I do some copy-pasta art or someone edits Regu.pbm to remove curly). Until then, I've switched it back to default Curly. As for the not taking damage glitch, I'm trying many things. But it hurts my head to script for more than 3 hours a day. T_T

Anyways, you can now get an expansion to the IGR Cannon (+2 ammo). The White X room is about 1/3 done, and will probably end with a hairline jump. Or a visit from the Mysterious Gunman (aka Curly) from the bossfight. Followed by a hairline jump. Did you give him/her your Basic Matrix? Also, suicide has many perks.

EDIT: ImpactBOLD will be delayed slightly in it's release (for a very certain reason...), but in exchange for time for that, I give you a secret tidbit.

You know that two-way room (AKA Airlock)? Well, on one side is the Enviro-field (air tank) and on the other is the Chainlaser (MG). If you take the Enviro-field, you may find yourself in a sticky situation. But those who take the Chainlaser should watch their stuff more carefully... Additionally, that part may prove useful, but dangerous to have. And finally, fire is NOT your friend.

Also, expect to face the Melty Brain/Genesis Cannon/Psychic Twins Jodie and Lou-Anne.
It won't be easy!
And expect to die A LOT.

EDIT EDIT: BadBeholder, that's Flyline, not ImpactBOLD.

Dec 7, 2008 at 4:24 AM
Reserved

Reserved for screenshots + hints.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:02 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
This mod is pretty cool. The boss battle is really tough; I actually couldn't figure it out and had to peek at this thread before I realized how you're supposed to not die. I found it was significantly easier if you used the Q key rather than a/s to switch weapons, since rapid-tapping x, then hitting a, x, a, and then rapid tapping x again is a very easy way to accidentally fire two missiles at once. I wonder if there is some way you could make it more obvious the missiles have a stunning effect, since most players, like me, will remember the original Curly being immune, test it once at the beginning of the battle, see that she's immune and try to dodge everything while using the pistol. That said, I love what you did with the defense grid.

The rest of the mod was pretty cool too. The environments are cool, the reskinned enemies are cool, the reskkinned interface and weapons are cool, the simulation theme is cool, etc. Few gripes: The invisibility device was very disappointing, as it has no effect at all on enemy AI and just lets you open a door and enter the boss fight. The robot-arm spike in front of the "part" I mistook for an object I could interact with, or at least scenery, rather than instant death. And finally, for some reason I had regular Curly sprites, and portraits, the entire time. Bug or no?

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM
Brickman said:
This mod is pretty cool. The boss battle is really tough; I actually couldn't figure it out and had to peek at this thread before I realized how you're supposed to not die. I found it was significantly easier if you used the Q key rather than a/s to switch weapons, since rapid-tapping x, then hitting a, x, a, and then rapid tapping x again is a very easy way to accidentally fire two missiles at once. I wonder if there is some way you could make it more obvious the missiles have a stunning effect, since most players, like me, will remember the original Curly being immune, test it once at the beginning of the battle, see that she's immune and try to dodge everything while using the pistol. That said, I love what you did with the defense grid.

The rest of the mod was pretty cool too. The environments are cool, the reskinned enemies are cool, the reskkinned interface and weapons are cool, the simulation theme is cool, etc. Few gripes: The invisibility device was very disappointing, as it has no effect at all on enemy AI and just lets you open a door and enter the boss fight. The robot-arm spike in front of the "part" I mistook for an object I could interact with, or at least scenery, rather than instant death. And finally, for some reason I had regular Curly sprites, and portraits, the entire time. Bug or no?
Wow.
Thanks.
The Cloaking field is just a modded mimiga mask, I might add the effect of the Arms Barrier to it, maybe. I know, it should make enemies not see you, but I can't. As of yet. I suppose the Arm/spike is a little evil. But you'll find in the latest release that I am an evil child, and that is the first of many traps.

Also, yes. Latest release.