The age old debate - Is CS based on Earth?

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:52 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Slife said:
Why not? You have Ironhead and everything.
But I don't think Ironhead left with Ikachan.

Apr 6, 2009 at 12:00 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
andwhyisit said:
But I don't think Ironhead left with Ikachan.
Actually, he did. You'd know that if you actually played the game.

Apr 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
T-Jack said:
Actually, he did. You'd know that if you actually played the game.
My bad. I played the game but I never finished it. :(

Staff.gif

How is this Earth though? Is there some dialogue that is supposed to mention Earth?

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM
This Troper
andwhyisit said:
How is this Earth though? Is there some dialogue that is supposed to mention Earth?
Dunno, I didn't even think that the planet would be our Earth. But maybe someone would be able to compare those pieces of land we can see on the picture to the Earth's landmass. If that was the case, it would be without doubt Our Home Planet (an obscure webcomic reference, gimme a "yay" if you got it).

Apr 6, 2009 at 7:38 PM
In front of a computer
Slife said:
Why not?  You have Ironhead and everything.
Alternate universe Ironhead.. :(

andwhyisit said:
Staff.gif

Well, let's see... blue water, green land, white clouds, and even a moon. If it's not Earth, it's pretty close!

Apr 6, 2009 at 11:54 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
The scale is kinda wonky, but the visible portion bears a passing resemblance to areas near the north pole...

Apr 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Celtic Minstrel said:
Well, let's see... blue water, green land, white clouds, and even a moon. If it's not Earth, it's pretty close!

Cave Story:
One moon? Check.
Blue water? Check.
Clouds? Check.
Green Land? Check.

Ikachan:
One moon? Check.
Blue water? Check.
Clouds? Check.
Green Land? Check.

The vast majority of Pseudo-Earths:
One or more moons? Check.
Blue water? Check.
Clouds? Check.
Green Land? Check.

You fail.

Slife said:
The scale is kinda wonky, but the visible portion bears a passing resemblance to areas near the north pole...
Suuuuure.

Apr 7, 2009 at 2:36 AM
In front of a computer
Actually, I noticed that too...

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:02 PM
I WANT YEN LIN!!!
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I don't see Jacob in there.

I mean, you guys are obviously limiting the essential characteristics of Earth to just... four? Although I can't really think of anything to add right now. Or....

>_>
<_<

... scale. Okay wait until I have the luck.

Apr 8, 2009 at 3:28 PM
This Troper
Okay, here's a suggestion: I challenge anyone here to get a globe and take a photo of it so that the landmass on the photo is the same (or almost same) as on the artwork. If anyone can do it, it's our Earth for sure, if not, well... it's not.

Apr 9, 2009 at 2:20 AM
/end
Just my luck too because my globe happens to be in the shop.

I guess google might bring something up.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM
This Troper
May 25, 2009 at 10:10 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
There's only one moon in cave story. I think it's the sun you see during the time you visit the Balcony. But it can also be the moon during daytime, given it's pale light (but the dust clouds can of course obscure the sun's light enough).

AND BALLOS IS NOT THE MOON FROM MAJORA'S MASK. I think we all agree on this.

May 14, 2010 at 1:29 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Cave Story's "'ingame world' context and setting""

So, we got this floating island with dungeons, highly advanced tech and magic, and humans that build humanoid robots to invade it...

Basing our guesses on the whole cave story premise and plot, would you be more inclined to say it is fictionally set in:

A- An alternate "game dimension" that doesn't follow the rules or logic of our world (think Mario and such)

B- Another time in our own Earth (like the future, or perhaps a too distant to be remembered atlantis-like past)

C- An alien planet in outer space (Somewhat as Star Wars)

Some things to be considered:
The bad ending does mentions the question of if "the nations of Earth" would be able to stand to the Doctor. But this does not totally eliminate any chance (Mario *was* Italian, after all, wasn't he?). Also magical elements and the game mentions that Curly and Quote have "souls" unlike other robots may be things to consider.

Perhaps a too existential or too "dumb" question, but maybe interesting to discuss? :p

May 14, 2010 at 1:45 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
http://www.miraigamer.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1231

I think that Cave Story exists in a different relm, similar to ours, but wherin the island and all of it's inhabitants exist, were pretty much the island, and all of it's inhabitants would not exist on our earth.

As well, I think it would exist in the future, where AI has been developed, and people have even been able to program compassion, and feelings into robots (giving them "souls").

May 14, 2010 at 2:49 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Re: Cave Story's "'ingame world' context and setting""

A- An alternate "game dimension" that doesn't follow the rules or logic of our world

There is magic.
Creepy old witches.
Hawt witches.
Robots that act like humans.
Do we really need to discuss that?

An alien planet in outer space (Somewhat as Star Wars)

Star Wars also plays in a total diffrent time.

May 14, 2010 at 3:15 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"

Well, but thats besides the point. Star Wars could be at the same time and that would still be irrelevant because it is on galaxy far far away, that is which actually counts.

Anyways, going back on topic, Harry Potter has witches and magic n` weird stuff and is still supposedly on our own world, as do countless other things. Don`t get me started on humanoid robots either, a ton of stuff that mixes them into the future (/present/past) of our own world.

May 14, 2010 at 5:02 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"

I always thought that CS is in this world and this time. I totally pretend to believe that tales are true like a child when I immerse myself in one.:p Funny that the impossibility of magic and such intelligent robots as Quote didn`t struck me.

May 14, 2010 at 8:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

It's a magical alternate game dimension of our Earth.

I mean, for years I thought Chrono Trigger was supposed to take place in our real, actual, current Earth, the game being released in 1995 made you all the more pressured to hurry up and stop the 1999 apocalypse before it hit that date in real life, and the time periods were somewhat realistic, such as 600-1000 A.D. I finally realized that everything about Chrono Trigger's world is way too different from our own to be taken jat all realistically (I was a kid at the time, anyway) and the "realistic" time periods were just to make the players feel familiar with the flow of time--even though it's out of whack in CT anyway. As if there was a race of sentient, highly-intelligent reptilians in the prehistoric ages; as if there were floating magical continents full of wise men in 12,000 BC; as if we had such insane technology that our cities were encased in futuristic domes and we were able to create sentient androids by just 1999 A.D.

So yeah, CS is sort of like an alternate reality that's probably about the same "year" as us but in which technology developed much faster, magic exists, and there are rabbit people.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"

explosive said:
I think that Cave Story exists in a different relm, similar to ours, but wherin the island and all of it's inhabitants exist, were pretty much the island, and all of it's inhabitants would not exist on our earth.

As well, I think it would exist in the future, where AI has been developed, and people have even been able to program compassion, and feelings into robots (giving them "souls").

Speaking of robots, they're still Literal Minded (I capitalize Tropes).