The age old debate - Is CS based on Earth?

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
It's an alternate universe's Earth.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:51 PM
/end
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
*inb4 Jacob says something about what are the chances of another race of people besides human naming their home planet Earth*

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM
In front of a computer
In their own language? I'd put it around a 90% chance. Calling the planet Earth in English? Perhaps a 5% chance.

Apr 1, 2009 at 7:07 PM
This Troper
Celtic Minstrel said:
In their own language? I'd put it around a 90% chance. Calling the planet Earth in English? Perhaps a 5% chance.
I'd put it even higher, at around, say, 100%. Seriously, how else would you call your home planet? After millenia of history behind your back?

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:31 PM
In front of a computer
Well, let's use some examples from Star Control II.
  • The Slylandro call their homeworld "Source".
  • The Spathi call their homeworld "Spathiwa". If I were to hazard a guess, I would think that that translates to something like "Home of the Spathi". If you assume that "Spathi" means people, then "Spathiwa" would mean "Home of the People".
  • The Syreen call their original homeworld "Syra". I can't say much about this because it's unclear whether the race name is based on the planet name or the other way around. Their new homeworld, however, is called "Gaia", fitting the common pattern.
  • The Supox call their homeworld "Vlik", meaning "Perfectly Good and Nutritious Dirt"; so this fits the common pattern.
  • The Shofixti call their homeworld "Kyabetsu". It's impossible to determine if this fits the common pattern since it's never said what it means.
  • The Utwig call their homeworld "Fahz". There's a good chance that this means "Earth", but again it's impossible to be certain.
  • The Dnyarri called their homeworld "Glilandy" (unless this was a lie). That probably means "Earth", though etymological analysis isn't technically valid here.
  • The Ariloulaleelay call their homeworld Falayalaralfali. This could mean almost anything.

So of the races who name their homeworld in the game, only three definitely fit the pattern (including humans). Another three likely fit the pattern. One fits the pattern "Our Home", and another may also fit this pattern. One fits a somewhat unique pattern, "Source", and the final one (Arilou) is an enigma.

So, no, definitely not a 100% chance of calling a homeworld "Earth" in one's own language. Calling it "Source" or "Homeworld" is also logical.

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM
/end
I think T-Jack may have been talking about calling one's home planet Earth in English would be at a 100% chance.

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:09 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I already pointed out that the Japanese script doesn't say "Earth", it says "surface". It's most likely a translation error just like the naming inconsistancies between in-game and the credits, the password, and how Date's given name and surname ordering (surname first) was different to every other character (given name first).

Celtic Minstrel said:
Well, let's use some examples from Star Control II.
  • The Slylandro call their homeworld "Source".
  • The Spathi call their homeworld "Spathiwa". If I were to hazard a guess, I would think that that translates to something like "Home of the Spathi". If you assume that "Spathi" means people, then "Spathiwa" would mean "Home of the People".
  • The Syreen call their original homeworld "Syra". I can't say much about this because it's unclear whether the race name is based on the planet name or the other way around. Their new homeworld, however, is called "Gaia", fitting the common pattern.
  • The Supox call their homeworld "Vlik", meaning "Perfectly Good and Nutritious Dirt"; so this fits the common pattern.
  • The Shofixti call their homeworld "Kyabetsu". It's impossible to determine if this fits the common pattern since it's never said what it means.
  • The Utwig call their homeworld "Fahz". There's a good chance that this means "Earth", but again it's impossible to be certain.
  • The Dnyarri called their homeworld "Glilandy" (unless this was a lie). That probably means "Earth", though etymological analysis isn't technically valid here.
  • The Ariloulaleelay call their homeworld Falayalaralfali. This could mean almost anything.

So of the races who name their homeworld in the game, only three definitely fit the pattern (including humans). Another three likely fit the pattern. One fits the pattern "Our Home", and another may also fit this pattern. One fits a somewhat unique pattern, "Source", and the final one (Arilou) is an enigma.

So, no, definitely not a 100% chance of calling a homeworld "Earth" in one's own language. Calling it "Source" or "Homeworld" is also logical.
The common themes would most likely be earth, life, source/homeworld, or a name related to the inhabitants.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:17 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Can't be. Ika-Chan took place on Earth (IIRC, the final cutscene has a picture of the Earth in the background), and the migration ended with them on another planet. Since they give you the Alien Medal in Cave Story, the game obviously takes place *after* the fish migration, so there you go.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM
/end
No one was really talking about if Cave Story took place on our Earth. What was mostly being talked about is would the name of the planet be Earth.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:07 AM
/end
Just because a place is called Earth doesn't mean it's our Earth. So your point is moot.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:26 AM
/end
First of all, no.

Second of all, that doesn't mean that planet isn't called Earth too.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:55 AM
Banned
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
it might be earth like thousands of years in the future.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:58 AM
/end
Not our Earth. But it could have very well taken place on a Earth.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:09 AM
Banned
it could be a planet in a similar orbit.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:11 AM
Banned
weve alredy established that fact.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:21 AM
Agent of the System
"All your forum are belong to us!"
G. freemaan said:
weve alredy established that fact.

No, "we" haven't.:D

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:22 AM
Banned
x_x why must i suffer?

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:26 PM
In front of a computer
I don't think Ika-Chan is canon for Cave Story...

And Jacob seems to be labouring under the illusion that names must be unique... which is clearly false, since I know at least three people named Sarah, and there are at least two cities named London. So there's no reason there couldn't be seven planets called Earth.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM
In front of a computer
Not necessarily.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:21 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Celtic Minstrel said:
I don't think Ika-Chan is canon for Cave Story...

Why not? You have Ironhead and everything.