The age old debate - Is CS based on Earth?

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:15 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Re: Cave Story's "'ingame world' context and setting""

I always imagined it was all happening in our own world.

Jun 12, 2010 at 3:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
WoodenRat said:
I always imagined it was all happening in our own world.
Unlikely. We already discussed this and it is anywhere between insanely improbable and impossible that this happens in our world. This is a pseudo-Earth, a world heavily based on Earth but adapted to the story teller's needs. You could say that this is an alternate timeline, but differences in physics (magic) do not occur between alternate timelines and the idea that magic exists and not one in ~7 billion people haven't stumbled upon it yet is laughable. The use of the word "Earth" in the game was a mistranslation of "surface". Last of all Ironhead came from a world that looked more like Earth than Cave Story's world and had the plant and animal life to match, though the idea that animals can communicate and travel in spaceships makes you think again.

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:12 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
andwhyisit said:
the idea that magic exists and not one in ~7 billion people haven't stumbled upon it yet is laughable.

1.) Who says no one has?
2.) There are vast, vast portions of our planet that have never been seen by human eyes (ocean floor, deepest Amazon, millions of miles of caves). The potential is actually pretty staggering that, if magic exists, we just haven't found it yet because we're not looking hard enough.

I mean, pretty flimsy defense that it is based on *our* Earth.
But suffice to say that saying that "just because we haven't found it means it doesn't exist" is, frankly, unscientific.

Idealy you'd say "because we haven't found it yet we have no proof it exists".

Though, of course, if it was based on our Earth I imagine there would be a lot of questions raised.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:32 AM
Respwnt
Unlikely. We already discussed this
Yes we have, it's what the 200+ posts in this topic are (presumably) about.
...and it is anywhere between insanely improbable and impossible that this happens in our world.
No it is not, it's perfectly possible if you open your mind a bit. ;)

And hello again, my dear old CSmen.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:

ROON! ;)
Glad to see you back, mate.
How's it going?

Heh... Here's a thought:
What if CS is based off something Pixel actually saw? O:

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:02 AM
Respwnt
DragonBoots said:
ROON! ;)
Glad to see you back, mate.
How's it going?

:D
I take it they b& you from regularly using coloured text? lol

DragonBoots said:
Heh... Here's a thought:

xD...

Well, if we aren't assuming CS is based on our Earth, how come we apply our physical laws when we try to explain the phenomena that appear in THE GAME?

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM
Roonil Wazlib said:
:D
I take it they b& you from regularly using coloured text? lol
Yeah. >.o
They's be jerks 'bout that, eh.

Roonil Wazlib said:
Well, if we aren't assuming CS is based on our Earth, how come we apply our physical laws when we try to explain the phenomena that appear in THE GAME?
1.) Great point. For all we know, all the other theory discussions hang their plausabillity on this one. O:

I mean, if it's NOT out Earth, or even our universe, I could make a claim that in the CS universe an object moving through the air may make random turns of it's own free will.
No one could argue.

2.) No one plays the game. ;)

Jun 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM
Pirate Member
DragonBoots said:
Heh... Here's a thought:

Bad experience with shrooms, perhaps?

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
If CS' world is Earth, then what was that planet that Ironhead and Ikachan flew in from? You have one planet with sentient Earth-like creatures and another with Humans.

DragonBoots said:
1.) Who says no one has?
2.) There are vast, vast portions of our planet that have never been seen by human eyes (ocean floor, deepest Amazon, millions of miles of caves). The potential is actually pretty staggering that, if magic exists, we just haven't found it yet because we're not looking hard enough.

I mean, pretty flimsy defense that it is based on *our* Earth.
But suffice to say that saying that "just because we haven't found it means it doesn't exist" is, frankly, unscientific.

Idealy you'd say "because we haven't found it yet we have no proof it exists".

Though, of course, if it was based on our Earth I imagine there would be a lot of questions raised.
No it is the idea that we as human beings are capable of magic, yet somehow despite there being ~7 billion of us alive at this point in time, and who knows how many throughout the history of our race, that haven't learnt magic yet despite being capable of it. So if magic does exist then it either requires outlandish circumstances to work, has been hidden from the world (like in Harry Potter for example), or can only be used by a select group of people.

Roonil Wazlib said:
No it is not, it's perfectly possible if you open your mind a bit. ;)

I said "improbable" didn't I?

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The WiiWare version calls it "the countries of the surface", only raising further questions.

Jun 18, 2010 at 3:07 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Actually, it further justifies the current theories.

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Perhaps our world would be like CS, except all of the people who knew magic were killed off in wars, long ago. :(

This would explain why magic users like Jenka and the "Red Demon" are hiding out in caves carved into a floating island, they are probably waiting out the wars and trying to find a person to continue their magical bloodline.

was that a little too descriptive :confused:

Jun 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
RHF64 said:
The WiiWare version calls it "the countries of the surface", only raising further questions.
http://www.cavestory.org/forums/posts/39026/

But yes, it is good to have official confirmation of this.

Marirowwaffleninja9000 said:
Perhaps our world would be like CS, except all of the people who knew magic were killed off in wars, long ago. :(

This would explain why magic users like Jenka and the "Red Demon" are hiding out in caves carved into a floating island, they are probably waiting out the wars and trying to find a person to continue their magical bloodline.

was that a little too descriptive :confused:
Jenka is there because she decided to become the jailkeeper of her brother who years ago went insane, incinerated an entire kingdom in the process, and never recovered since.

Jun 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
It's highly unlikely it took place on OUR home planet, Maybe a Parallel Universe or sumthing but not here.

If we still think it took place here then this is my only explanation.
A Long Long Time ago there was Cave Story, Floating islands existed and magic did too but after seeing the horror of what magic had done to the planet, all the witches joined to destroyed what had created this mess, They somehow made magic disappear. The island fell to the surface and is now just piece of a country, Quote may very well live somewhere with Curly and Ballrog or they may have got destroyed. The Earth that was once a place of magic and destruction is now the Earth we live in now

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
*claps*

wow much better than what I said.:confused:

Jun 18, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Thanks dude lol, It just seems like the most realistic thing if it did take place here

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:51 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If we still think it took place here then this is my only explanation.
A Long Long Time ago there was Cave Story, Floating islands existed and magic did too but after seeing the horror of what magic had done to the planet, all the witches joined to destroyed what had created this mess, They somehow made magic disappear. The island fell to the surface and is now just piece of a country, Quote may very well live somewhere with Curly and Ballrog or they may have got destroyed. The Earth that was once a place of magic and destruction is now the Earth we live in now
Yes, that could be true... however, the island fell because Quote defeated Ballos, (did I spell that right?) not because the witches got rid of magic.

I'm kinda going out on a limb here (not the first time) but, instead of regular magic, there could be 'glyphs' (real word, means a 'symbolic figure') that were the source of the magic. Ballos had, or WAS, one of the glyphs. When Quote defeated him, all of the magic in the surrounding area was lost, and the island fell. Then, later, when the remaining witches decided to seal away the magic from mankind, they destroyed the last glyphs. now all the magic is gone.

I hope this works...

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:08 PM
inactive user
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Marirowwaffleninja9000 said:
Yes, that could be true... however, the island fell because Quote defeated Ballos, (did I spell that right?) not because the witches got rid of magic.

Wrong. The island STOPPED falling because Quote defeated Ballos. Destroying the Core causes the island to fall.

Jun 18, 2010 at 9:58 PM
Creating A Legacy...
yeah, My theory works lol :confused:

Jun 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Wrong. The island STOPPED falling because Quote defeated Ballos. Destroying the Core causes the island to fall.

Crud. sorry for that. that means that in my theory, the CORE is the glyph.

...or not. hmm...

well so much for my theory. you can all ignore me now.:confused: