Sue's Workshop - Ideas

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:16 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi!

Today "ShInInG PhAnToM" asked me to continue working on Sue's Workshop. At least fixing this Boss-Bug.

Then I thought about fixing this bug (tomorrow maybe) and rewriting sue's workshop to make it Open Source. (At the moment the source has too many negative things to make it open source).

Well. But before I start over again, I ask you for ideas.

That means: What could I make better with the user interface? Editor interface? What would make it easier to edit the maps?

Well, I had a few ideas that I would add to the new version (step by step), like a script editor for NPCs (and yes, I know it's native code!).

However. What ideas do you have for a cave story editor?

And feedback for the old version would also be nice to increase my motivation ;)

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:21 PM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
I'd like to be able to shift maps a bit more properly >_>
Perhaps being able to see the sprites/NPC in the editor? Though that may be a bit much.
Being able to edit weapons too would be super, as well. But the editor is great as it is. It's easy to use and i can tile large amounts of map at once, so I <3 it.

Jan 21, 2007 at 10:42 PM
"..."
Hey ProfEich been using the editor forever, its great, i don't even think i'd have been interested in cave story for nearly as long as i have been if not for your wonderful program. Thank you so much.

For things you can do to improve the current version I agree that when you shift maps it should also move entities.

It would be nice that when in entity mode you can highlight more then one at once, and move / edit / delete them all at the same time. This would be especialy helpful for deleting lots of things, also hitting the delete key to get rid of stuff would be good.

I heard (never tested it) that there is a maximum amount of maps that you can add before the game crashes. I'd love to be able to just keep adding new maps.

Thats all I can think of right now.
Great work! I really hope you can become interested in cave story again.

Jan 21, 2007 at 11:08 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
First of all I am very happy :D :D :D YAAAAAAAAAAY

Todo
1. Fix Boss Bug and have an ability to move bosses (xy)
2. NPC's (Entitys) should move if you shift the map. And sometimes it crashes if you go into Event mode after shifting.
3. Edit NPC's (NPC.TBL)
4. Make the missing things for the Tileset editor - like Tile 44 (NPC Foreground block tile)
4. Edit Weapons
5. Profile Editing for the Editor
6. Edit the EXE, like Version number and those things also the Startup Health can be edited
7. Import Music (Import ORG Files)
8. Sometimes I dont know anymore wich flag is in use and wich not, the editor could run a scan on the script to see wich flags are in use and wich not
9. Sound editing (Import PXT Files)
10. As for the interface I'am only saying: I love it, only that colours are a lil bit boring lol

Ok that was all lol
I dunno if I can create a new idea anymore HTH ;)

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:01 AM
"..."
Everyone who uses Sue's workshop should post here, this is the creator. Respect.

Jan 22, 2007 at 7:58 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Oh well, in that case... o.O I'm afraid I can't think of much to add aside from what's already been suggested, based on my minimal mucking-arounds with program. So I shall merely offer my thanks for the time that was spent in its creation! THANKYOU SIR! *salute*

Jan 22, 2007 at 8:29 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
You could add a little About... option that shows a little graphic of your choice and plays a favorite org of yours lol With a nice looking Made by the Prof ;) tribute statement to yourself~
But, without going overboard, what's been mentioned covers what would be great :D Your work has helped some of us a ton; and we really appreciate your effort... !

As for my overboard ideas...
Something like, being able to design a level, and test it on the spot through the editor; having a script checker that can be turned off, that can discover possible problems with the maps~ Unlimited undos, and saved history to a log which can be loaded~ A title editor; file importing;
I could go on and on, but these are just dreams :D

Whatever you do, it will be thanked!

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:09 PM
Hoxtilicious
SeriousFace said:
Everyone who uses Sue's workshop should post here, this is the creator. Respect.

I fully agree :D

X-Calibar said:
You could add a little About... option that shows a little graphic of your choice and plays a favorite org of yours lol With a nice looking Made by the Prof ;) tribute statement to yourself~

There is one lol You never saw?

diph.php

And a word for everyone:
FEEDBACK IS VERY IMPORTANT!
IT KEEPS THE MOTIVATION OF THE PEOPLE!

So feedback enough :D

Jan 22, 2007 at 1:13 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Personally, I'd like it if the workshop was set up similar to RPGmaker 2000 or 2003... (No programming knowledge required to make a mod)

Or at least a help-file included that lists all the commands and what the included information does...

ex.

<KEY - Keep the player from moving during the event/rest of the event
<MSG - State a message
<CLR - Clear text
<NOD - Wait for 'okay' before continuing the message
<ML+xxxx - Max life increases by xxxx
<FL+xxxx - Turn on flag xxxx
<FL-xxxx - Turn off flag xxxx
<FLJxxxx:yyyy - "If flag xxxx is on(?), run event yyyy.
ect...

(That's all I've self-tought myself so far :/)

Another thing that could be included is a small paint-like add-on, which can be used to modify the sprite data, and will automatically add the (C)Pixel to the end of the file's code. (I've notaced that if you use sue's workshop on a mod without the (C)Pixel in it, saving will corrupt the exe, which would mean it's "safer" to add the (C)Pixel to the end of the sprite files)

Jan 22, 2007 at 2:19 PM
Hoxtilicious
ZTaimat said:
Personally, I'd like it if the workshop was set up similar to RPGmaker 2000 or 2003... (No programming knowledge required to make a mod)

Or at least a help-file included that lists all the commands and what the included information does...

ex.

<KEY - Keep the player from moving during the event/rest of the event
<MSG - State a message
<CLR - Clear text
<NOD - Wait for 'okay' before continuing the message
<ML+xxxx - Max life increases by xxxx
<FL+xxxx - Turn on flag xxxx
<FL-xxxx - Turn off flag xxxx
<FLJxxxx:yyyy - "If flag xxxx is on(?), run event yyyy.
ect...

(That's all I've self-tought myself so far :/)

Another thing that could be included is a small paint-like add-on, which can be used to modify the sprite data, and will automatically add the (C)Pixel to the end of the file's code. (I've notaced that if you use sue's workshop on a mod without the (C)Pixel in it, saving will corrupt the exe, which would mean it's "safer" to add the (C)Pixel to the end of the sprite files)

You dont get the TSC yet? Download it!
And that programm knowledge thing wrong, its just script!
Oh and that (C)Pixel thing is also wrong!

Jan 23, 2007 at 12:50 PM
Hoxtilicious
Jan 24, 2007 at 3:16 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I'm not sure if this is how it works in the "boss bug" fix version, but it would be nice if you could add a menu for bosses in the map settings. (so that, for instance, a mod could have omega show up in a few different places)

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
upthorn said:
I'm not sure if this is how it works in the "boss bug" fix version, but it would be nice if you could add a menu for bosses in the map settings. (so that, for instance, a mod could have omega show up in a few different places)

You shoulda download 0.3 mate, its already there and it has exact the same thing build in like ur idea :mad:
So u coulda have bosses on their non original maps :mad:

Jan 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM
"Huzzah!"
It would be nice if it rendered the backround images, also an eyedroper tool for tiles would be nice

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:52 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
I think it would be awesome if you could incorporate multiple charachters.

Such as having myChar01 and myChar02, so you could switch between them at some point. I don't know whats in your power to make with this sues workshop, seeing as cave story isn't a game you made, but multiple characters would be great for what I want to do :3

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:53 PM
Hoxtilicious
Skeik_Sprite said:
I think it would be awesome if you could incorporate multiple charachters.

Such as having myChar01 and myChar02, so you could switch between them at some point. I don't know whats in your power to make with this sues workshop, seeing as cave story isn't a game you made, but multiple characters would be great for what I want to do :3

Not MyChar01 and MyChar02 it would be lot o easier to store all charas in the MyChar.pbm. You can already have 2 Charas! Just use the Mimiga Mask for this.

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:28 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
Not MyChar01 and MyChar02 it would be lot o easier to store all charas in the MyChar.pbm. You can already have 2 Charas! Just use the Mimiga Mask for this.

oh crap, I forgot about that :p

I want to make a mod that covers the past of cave story as I see it, and I wanted curly and quote to be both playable at some points. Thanks for telling me that.

Jan 26, 2007 at 10:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
Skeik_Sprite said:
oh crap, I forgot about that :D

I want to make a mod that covers the past of cave story as I see it, and I wanted curly and quote to be both playable at some points. Thanks for telling me that.

No prob helping is the reason why Iam here :p

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:11 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
No prob helping is the reason why Iam here :confused:
I'm not sure exactly how the miminga mask sprite changing thing works. It isn't a simple check for the item in inventory (save game hacking doesn't do squat)... is it just triggered when you get it?