Sorajima Monogatari

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:23 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Thanks.

That boss is a major pain. Gah, I always seem to get hit twice and end up with 4 hp right off the bat. Him dealing 3 points of damage would be better than 4. I ALMOST killed him, before he nailed me.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:25 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Cyowolf1122 said:
Thanks.

That boss is a major pain. Gah, I always seem to get hit twice and end up with 4 hp right off the bat. Him dealing 3 points of damage would be better than 4. I ALMOST killed him, before he nailed me.

A little thing I found which makes it easier:
Blast the living hell out of him while he's hopping and run like hell when he shoots. Run from the first two shots, they'll hit the ground harmlessly behind you, then track back cautiously towards him while jumping over the remaining shots. Use the fact he is in front of you to your advantage and shoot him from underneath to do massive damage. Then just trail him while blasting him until he reaches the other wall.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:41 AM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
That pain is really a pain in the back. Even if you work out the best strategy to defeat him, it still takes too long and it's really easy to get killed. I mean, it's the game's second boss! And there's another one right after it! I'm usually against nerfing the difficulty, but lowering that boss's health would do no harm whatsoever. Have mercy, Kurai.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Mercy shall be granted in the form of half its life being taken away. :)

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:17 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Sorajima Monogatari is cool! Keep up the good work.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Kurai said:
Mercy shall be granted in the form of half its life being taken away.

Sweetness.

Though, if you had said a fourth, I'd be happy with that, but halving its health is wonderful! (Really, that guy can kill you in seconds, so making him even a little easier is welcome.)

edit: hey, waddaya know, it's my 300th post. Huh, and I didn't even realize it was.

Nov 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM
Hyperbolic
The answer: Killing the second boss easily!

This is the how to kill the second boss without having ANY damage:

The secret is to ambush it ONLY AND ONLY at the very MIDDLE of the room. DO NOT FOLLOW IT!!!, instead head AT ONCE to the opposite end of the room. This is important: you must go to the VERY VERY VERY VERY opposite side of the room, ALWAYS WHERE THE DOORS ARE, not a step closer. Dodging will be more than easy. For me this fight is always a flawless victory.

Nov 9, 2009 at 6:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Finally managed to fix up everythig most wrong with the GM7 release, the GM Decompiler disorganizes everything plus GM7 doesn't have some of the codes I used before in GM6... Anyhow the bug-fixed version shall be released tomorrow.

Are there any elements from the many Cave Story mods out there that you think would fit nicely into the game? Ideas for weapons, enemies, items and the such. I liked the parachute, just made it cus the idea of parachuting onto the island in the middle of many enemies sounded so cool! But it actually helps quite a bit in some parts... So yeah. Any suggestions, even if they're just on a whim. They could end up working.:D

Edit: Just a thought, what about being able to wear the Demon Crown? :3

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
hmm, I dunno.
on the plus side, it would be godly, but then again, it'd have the most impossible control scheme ever.
maybe if you have tdc equipped, you flash red, and randomly swap between different demon crown weapons and your normal weapons?
that'd add sufficient awesome, and make it a whole bunch simple, too.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:04 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Well this was something new. A completely original exe file. But the controls and gameplay were kinda choppy if ya know what I mean.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:15 AM
Hyperbolic
Sorajima Monogatari Review

Sorajima Monogatari has become one of my favourite things to play at Mirai. The reason:

It is a little repetitive that I fight for e.g. Omega or Monster X over and over again in various mods in hundreds of different looks (really-really beautiful looks indeed, but they have mostly still remained an Omega or a Monster X). The different engine of Sorajima Monogatari enables some good new stuff, and custom bosses are just one of the many.

Positive remarks
*Almost all it`s music is nice and powerful.
*Quote fight - Custom bossfight that has the "multiplayer arena game against bots" feeling. I always wanted to compete against another players in CS.
*Parachute - Really innovative!
*Edge Town - The robots are custom enemies!
*Second boss fight - The "Wow, brand new boss in CS!" feeling - The bossmusic`s power at its start just hits you! When the second boss explodes the driver flies out.
*Dialogues are nicely done. With great Mimiga sprites and dialogue we get a nice Cave Story atmosphere.
Mushroomland - great music, atmosphere,enemies, level design, cleverly placed secrets.
*Mushroom land has the best background, a screenshot of it would be a good "commercial" to Sorajima Monogatari.

Constructive remarks
*When the polar star is on max. picking up a crystal will cause its energy to drop.
*Jumping out from the helicopter without a parachute will not hurt you.
*One critter spontanly disappears here:
diph.php

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:41 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
I tried this a while ago, but the text would not appear at random, changing places.

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
OK! The next release is out, no real changes yet I'm afraid (been debugging the damn thing).
Things that are fixed and changed:
*Your level will reach MAX correctly.
*The Robot Soldiers now behave properly..
*Quote's AI has been redone, he now functions the same as a Robot Soldier.
*The Booster is hidden in this release for the time being...
*There is a secret in the Robot infested Edge Town that will make you unstoppable almost...
*F5 and F6 Quick save and load the game.

Lace said:
hmm, I dunno.
on the plus side, it would be godly, but then again, it'd have the most impossible control scheme ever.
maybe if you have tdc equipped, you flash red, and randomly swap between different demon crown weapons and your normal weapons?
that'd add sufficient awesome, and make it a whole bunch simple, too.

Hmm... Sort of similar to Super Sonic in Sonic 2/3/&K/3&K in a way as well? you can move faster, jump higher? Or how about you get the "Demon Weapons"? While wearing the Demon Crown your weapons will be replaced with the attacks the Doctor uses on the second of the final bosses?:p

trickybilly said:
Sorajima Monogatari has become one of my favourite things to play at Mirai. The reason:

It is a little repetitive that I fight for e.g. Omega or Monster X over and over again in various mods in hundreds of different looks (really-really beautiful looks indeed, but they have mostly still remained an Omega or a Monster X). The different engine of Sorajima Monogatari enables some good new stuff, and custom bosses are just one of the many.

Positive remarks
*Almost all it`s music is nice and powerful.
*Quote fight - Custom bossfight that has the "multiplayer arena game against bots" feeling. I always wanted to compete against another players in CS.
*Parachute - Really innovative!
*Edge Town - The robots are custom enemies!
*Second boss fight - The "Wow, brand new boss in CS!" feeling - The bossmusic`s power at its start just hits you! When the second boss explodes the driver flies out.
*Dialogues are nicely done. With great Mimiga sprites and dialogue we get a nice Cave Story atmosphere.
Mushroomland - great music, atmosphere,enemies, level design, cleverly placed secrets.
*Mushroom land has the best background, a screenshot of it would be a good "commercial" to Sorajima Monogatari.

Constructive remarks
*When the polar star is on max. picking up a crystal will cause its energy to drop.
*Jumping out from the helicopter without a parachute will not hurt you.
*One critter spontanly disappears here:
diph.php

Thanks! ^_^ Good to be appreciated.:rolleyes:
*Fixed!:)
*It used to but I took that out, just didn't feel Cave Story like...
*I noticed this and I'm stumped, it has something to do with ledges and the sprite I think.:p

Edit: Just to let you know, out of mass tedium I crafted a Jiljil. This Jiljil is not nice however and prefers to bite robots rather than lemons! Lol! Um... Well yeah basically I turned Jiljil into a boss, if it is what you will then in the next release he can mutilate you and pour lemon juice on your wounds. ^_^

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:01 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm... Sort of similar to Super Sonic in Sonic 2/3/&K/3&K in a way as well? you can move faster, jump higher? Or how about you get the "Demon Weapons"? While wearing the Demon Crown your weapons will be replaced with the attacks the Doctor uses on the second of the final bosses?
oh me gawds, just got an idea.
howsabout the demoncrown makes you teleport somewhere sorta random whenever you take damage?
as well as the other stuff, course. that seems pretty sick.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:48 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
MiuMimiga.png

Miu from my game (or Beta Sue)

Lace said:
oh me gawds, just got an idea.
howsabout the demoncrown makes you teleport somewhere sorta random whenever you take damage?
as well as the other stuff, course. that seems pretty sick.

I was thinking that too, or if you die you just become a little floating red ball that can't really do anything but if you reach a save point you'd return back to normal and the Demon Crown would be transported to a random part of the island...

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Could you make this game slightly less of a CPU rapist? Or at least make it like Cave Story where when the game window looses focus, the game pauses and doesn't use any CPU? 'Cause when I tried to quit the game it didn't respond and I pressed cltr+alt+del to bring up the task manager and after about 10 minutes (not exaggerating) the task manager came up and I ended the process.

Anyway, the physics do seem a bit better now so good job on that. I haven't gotten farther than the first savepoint after you exit the vault, so I haven't seen any change except the improved physics.

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:07 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
wedge of cheese said:
Could you make this game slightly less of a CPU rapist? Or at least make it like Cave Story where when the game window looses focus, the game pauses and doesn't use any CPU? 'Cause when I tried to quit the game it didn't respond and I pressed cltr+alt+del to bring up the task manager and after about 10 minutes (not exaggerating) the task manager came up and I ended the process.

Anyway, the physics do seem a bit better now so good job on that. I haven't gotten farther than the first savepoint after you exit the vault, so I haven't seen any change except the improved physics.

I'm trying but if it doesn't get to rape the CPU it refuses to run properly. :D

Thanks, I'm trying to fix a few collision bugs now. The physics are mostly complete.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:07 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Will you be fixing curly's walking anytime soon?

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:28 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
^^ What's wrong with Curly's walk (aside from the speed in the intro). Seems fine to me. And what's this about CPU rape? My laptop handles it just fine for the most part.

Anyhow, long time lurker, first time poster. I love this game, and I'm glad to see you got it started again. The physics have come a long way since the first release, and are now very close to Cave Story's. I also love the custom enemies you've created (especially the spiders). Can't wait for the next release!

PS: Anyone found the secret in the robot infested town yet? I'm still looking...

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:14 AM
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
There's 4 frames of animation for walking. This is only using three of them. she looks like she's punching the air.