Sorajima Monogatari

May 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
JacobX891 said:
He looks so... angry...

Lol, now you can see why I asked kurai to use these in my mod. For Excerpt, lol. Because I agree with jacob kurai, he looks a lil' on edge. Ty for letting me use these though.

May 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
It's nice to see another Cave story project with Beta additions.
Can't wait to see more. :)

May 16, 2009 at 7:33 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Kurai, I liked your creation of a game. You had used my "Game Over" MIDI and I thank you for using it. Use it as you wish and you can credit me if you want.

If you really want to go all MIDI, I just made the "Plant" MIDI and uploaded to VGMusic. Check it at the "Newly Submitted Files" in the VGMusic navigation bar. (Or right-click here and click save as for a limited time.) Use that as you wish.

Once again, thanks!

May 18, 2009 at 4:21 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
New version out! ^_^
Physics should be muuuuuch better now. Fixed the glitch of getting stuck on slopes.
Bubbler has been added.

Also, made a few more, less angry -_-, Quote faces.
This is all:
untitled-3.jpg

Tell me what you think.

Fluff8836 said:
Kurai, I liked your creation of a game. You had used my "Game Over" MIDI and I thank you for using it. Use it as you wish and you can credit me if you want.

If you really want to go all MIDI, I just made the "Plant" MIDI and uploaded to VGMusic. Check it at the "Newly Submitted Files" in the VGMusic navigation bar. (Or right-click here and click save as for a limited time.) Use that as you wish.

Once again, thanks!

It's a pleasure, your "Plant" MIDI is is included in this version. It's very good! ^_^
I originally was going to use Mp3s only but those make for hefty file sizes so MIDIs are the way to go.

May 19, 2009 at 1:08 AM
Veteran Member
Bugs I have encountered:

• Hearts dropped from enemies do not repair Curly.
  • Jumping out of water while looking up (holding up arrow key) might cause to lock up Curly in that position.
  • F4 to get out of fullscreen does not revert back resolution. Any windows you have on your desktop are resized.
  • Edge Town is all glitchy. It is missing background layers. Some enemies are invisible.

I am playing the converted version. (Used the Game Maker convertor tool)
Anyone without conversion, as well as Kurai please confirm.

May 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fluff8836 said:
Bugs I have encountered:

• Hearts dropped from enemies do not repair Curly.
  • Jumping out of water while looking up (holding up arrow key) might cause to lock up Curly in that position.
  • F4 to get out of fullscreen does not revert back resolution. Any windows you have on your desktop are resized.
  • Edge Town is all glitchy. It is missing background layers. Some enemies are invisible.

I am playing the converted version. (Used the Game Maker convertor tool)
Anyone without conversion, as well as Kurai please confirm.

The glitches don't happen on my Pc but I'll test it out on my friend's Vista comp, I have Xp. I'll be working in Game Maker 7 From now on so it should all be Vista compatible. If anyone experiences these glitches and don't use Vista please give feedback and I'll see what I can do.

May 19, 2009 at 7:52 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Actually, all the bugs that Fluff mentioned I am experiencing too, and I have XP so Vista isn't the problem.

May 19, 2009 at 7:54 PM
Veteran Member
Jumping out of water while looking up (holding up arrow key) might cause to lock up Curly in that position.
I checked it out. It is not the water. It is the matter of how many times you press the key before it gets locked up. I believe it is all the keys.

wedge of cheese said:
Actually, all the bugs that Fluff mentioned I am experiencing too, and I have XP so Vista isn't the problem.

You used the converted version which is Game Maker 7 on XP, right?

May 22, 2009 at 3:56 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fluff8836 said:
I checked it out. It is not the water. It is the matter of how many times you press the key before it gets locked up. I believe it is all the keys.

You used the converted version which is Game Maker 7 on XP, right?

I managed to fix the key glitch, that seems to have to do with RAM and GameMaker. GameMaker does not read the keys directly from the keyboard but instead stores the information of which key has been pressed or released in the memory, this seems to mean that on some PCs the game will forget which key is being pressed or released if a lot of keys are being pressed. I didn't notice it on my PC cause I've got quite a bit of RAM but the moment I tried it out on my school computer I saw the glitch in action. I've reworked the game to read straight from the keyboard. This unfortunatly also means that the game will still respond to keys if minimized. I'll try find a way around this. So far only the arrow keys are affected by this change.

The background problem seems to be a compilation error on my part but is fixed now. ^_^ Hopefully all glitches are fixed.

Edit: Also the new version is compiled through GameMaker7 so it should work on Vista without need of conversion.

Edit2: Also I was wondering if I should change the Malco robots at the beggining to Balrog minions, or would that be too much like Tale of the Broxxus?

Edit3: Sigh... A lot of edits... Last one: what do you think of my Surface Soldier FacePic?
untitled-5.png

May 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM
Veteran Member
Kurai said:
I managed to fix the key glitch, that seems to have to do with RAM and GameMaker. GameMaker does not read the keys directly from the keyboard but instead stores the information of which key has been pressed or released in the memory, this seems to mean that on some PCs the game will forget which key is being pressed or released if a lot of keys are being pressed. I didn't notice it on my PC cause I've got quite a bit of RAM but the moment I tried it out on my school computer I saw the glitch in action. I've reworked the game to read straight from the keyboard. This unfortunatly also means that the game will still respond to keys if minimized. I'll try find a way around this. So far only the arrow keys are affected by this change.

The background problem seems to be a compilation error on my part but is fixed now. ^_^ Hopefully all glitches are fixed.

Edit: Also the new version is compiled through GameMaker7 so it should work on Vista without need of conversion.

Edit2: Also I was wondering if I should change the Malco robots at the beggining to Balrog minions, or would that be too much like Tale of the Broxxus?

Edit3: Sigh... A lot of edits... Last one: what do you think of my Surface Soldier FacePic?
untitled-5.png
Thanks for the fixes, but there is more I had forgot to mention. Nice pic, by the way.

Weapon related glitches:
  • Soldier Arm: "Level Up!" and "Level Down" don't show. Lv3 repeats powering up instead of staying at MAX.
  • Bubbler: At level 3, its energy gauge is started out full, not empty. It remains stuck, even when Curly takes damage.

MIDIs are now fuzzy hearing.

You can take care of these glitches and release it out after working more on the Mushroom Valley. The link below shows a picture of Curly stuck in the dead mushroom. This is what happens when she deals the final blow to the mushroom while around the cap: Here.

I couldn't make her get out by pushing a lot of buttons. Many head bounce sparks.

May 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Fluff8836 said:
Thanks for the fixes, but there is more I had forgot to mention. Nice pic, by the way.

Weapon related glitches:
  • Soldier Arm: "Level Up!" and "Level Down" don't show. Lv3 repeats powering up instead of staying at MAX.
  • Bubbler: At level 3, its energy gauge is started out full, not empty. It remains stuck, even when Curly takes damage.

MIDIs are now fuzzy hearing.

You can take care of these glitches after working more on the Mushroom Valley. The link below shows a picture of Curly stuck in the dead mushroom. This is what happens when she deals the final blow to the mushroom while around the cap: Here.

I couldn't make her get out by pushing a lot of buttons. Many head bounce sparks.

I can't say what's affecting the MIDIs... :) Will look into it.
Weapon related glitches, bit of a mistake on my part and will fix it ASAP!

Thanks for pointing the Mushroom glitch out, it seems obvious now I think back but I didn't notice it. I have the mushroom set as a non-solid while it's active and as a solid when it's dead so you can stand on the cap, will change the active one to a solid as well and that should fix that glitch.

Even with the Bubbler Lv3 glitch, how was the actual weapon? It was surprisingly easy to make and I tried to get it as similar as the original as I could but is there anything I did wrong with it?

Thanks. I think I'll use the pic in the next version for the Bigfoot encounter. :)

May 25, 2009 at 2:19 PM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Thanks for pointing the Mushroom glitch out, it seems obvious now I think back but I didn't notice it. I have the mushroom set as a non-solid while it's active and as a solid when it's dead so you can stand on the cap, will change the active one to a solid as well and that should fix that glitch.
All enemies in Cave Story are solid. You can use Behemoths to ride, or use a certain Purple Critter to get the Arms Barrier early.

Oh, and please, Kurai... remember to glitch-test the game a bit yourself before releasing. At least try each new feature you include once during normal circumstances, to have a faint idea wether they are working at all, or not. The invisible town glitch I experienced in the last version I tested was a bit annoying.

- - -

Kurai, so you got an account here as well? I got mine today. I don't think I should post a topic about Gun Princess, but my sig should be enough, I hope...

May 25, 2009 at 2:39 PM
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
and I, as a gmc member, was here before both of you.
on both forums.

win!

@ kurai, try to make it at 50 fps, everything would look so much better.

May 26, 2009 at 7:44 AM
@ kurai, try to make it at 50 fps, everything would look so much better.
Seeing as Game Maker needs to run trough a lot of more processing than Cave Story (image_angle, anyone?) I wouldn't reccomend that. Many an old computer wouldn't be able to run it fast enough. My comp can't run my games in 30 fps if I have more than 150 instances, for instance... -_-

May 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
This looks pretty interesting but do you think you could upload it onto filespace or something like that? I sometimes have a problem with media file even though it's generally the most reliable uploader

May 26, 2009 at 1:39 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
@UncyDave: I'll add a few mirrors on the next release.

The engine is reliable now so I'm going to start putting a lot more effort into content now.

@Yal and Lace: I'm gonna keep it at 30fps for now but I have been experimenting at 50fps and will hopefully release a 50fps version once the game is finished.

This is the beta version so I may scrap a lot of what I've done later on, remake levels change certain story points ect. It's turning out a lot better than I thought it would, when I started creating it I had very little knowledge of GameMaker but I've come a long way. ^_^

@Yal: Believe it or don't I do bug check but I often rush through or skip the levels I've already worked on. The invisible town glitch was a bit of a blunder... -_-

Once finished with the game I will release the source so if anyone wants to edit, improve or change the game and/or its engine they'll be able to do so.

May 27, 2009 at 7:50 AM
Once finished with the game I will release the source so if anyone wants to edit, improve or change the game and/or its engine they'll be able to do so.
I think you should release the engine once you're complete with all the neccesary things only (and e.g. a couple of very differently working weaponry), since most people finding an engine with e.g. 300 objects lose hearth and try to make their own engine, since it's too much to plain learn using. Of course, that's just my opinion. I've released 5 engines on YYG already.

Edit:
Hey, I've read trough the whole thread / topic and it's some high class lecture.

I'm thinking of adding a tread for Gun Princess as well, myself. It has two main sources of inspiration: the Cave Story Beta, and Mike Caron's comic Tale of the Cave (though I've removed most things inspired from there, except the bat ally of the player). But most things in the game is just blatant Cave Story cloning with a different environment, so... I'm having trouble defining it as mod or rip-off or... freely standing game?

Sorry for going off-topic.

BTW, the new Quote face pictures looks even better than the old ones. I'll check the game out and return with some feedback. In the last version I tried, there were some lines of dialogue that could do with some improvement, and of course, the invisible Edge Town glitch...

It'd be exciting to hear wether and where you'd use the remixes I sent you, as well.

May 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Yal said:
I think you should release the engine once you're complete with all the neccesary things only (and e.g. a couple of very differently working weaponry), since most people finding an engine with e.g. 300 objects lose hearth and try to make their own engine, since it's too much to plain learn using. Of course, that's just my opinion. I've released 5 engines on YYG already.

Edit:
Hey, I've read trough the whole thread / topic and it's some high class lecture.

I'm thinking of adding a tread for Gun Princess as well, myself. It has two main sources of inspiration: the Cave Story Beta, and Mike Caron's comic Tale of the Cave (though I've removed most things inspired from there, except the bat ally of the player). But most things in the game is just blatant Cave Story cloning with a different environment, so... I'm having trouble defining it as mod or rip-off or... freely standing game?

Sorry for going off-topic.

BTW, the new Quote face pictures looks even better than the old ones. I'll check the game out and return with some feedback. In the last version I tried, there were some lines of dialogue that could do with some improvement, and of course, the invisible Edge Town glitch...

It'd be exciting to hear wether and where you'd use the remixes I sent you, as well.

I agree, also I think if you want to start a topic on GP then it would probably be best to set the topic up in the general discussion forum. Your remixes have been used in Edge Town and for one of the boss battles, also one of your Moonsong remixes is going to be the theme for Cyan Way.

The new version is taking longer than I thought it would, new boss battles(All bow to the mushroom king: Pignon Rex) as well as a few new levels and a bit of plot thickener.

Any suggestions on the CaveMaker? Should I keep it in or take it out? Change it or leave it as is? Added the Mimiga Village tileset for use so far.

May 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Agh, this has endless potential (I always enjoy prequels more than sequels) but appears to like using my CPU. A lot.