So I started a hack.

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:11 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
@Slife:
Nor do islands fly. Nor is it possible for monsters to form a working ecosystem in an abandonned factory with no food or water. Nor can people jump 3x their height. Nor can guns have infinit ammo. Nor is a gun that shoots rocks at machine-gun speeds feasible. It's not like this is the real world, after all.

@Slife 2:
There is no scripting for weapons. It's all code. So you can basically do anything you want - so long as the changes aren't TOO big to the game engine. What you describe is possible, so long as an appropriate entity exists both for weapons and entitites.

Ideally, you would simply spawn two objects: the weapon itself, and in the weapon's code, have a one-time execution that spawns an entity that behaves just like a weapon would (a simple CALL instruction to the appropriate code is all it takes.) Wether there's any reason why you'd want to create a weapon that hurts the player or not though, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort.

Oct 10, 2006 at 7:38 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
RuneLancer said:
Wether there's any reason why you'd want to create a weapon that hurts the player or not though, you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort.

Explosive Charges? :p

Oct 12, 2006 at 3:32 PM
The Bartender
That is a possibility, but it's not the way I intend to have it work. :p After all, hitting something with a level 1 charge is about as impossible as hitting an inch worm from from space. Yay for comparaisons. :D

Come to think of it, it could be useful for non-weapon player-triggered objects, like a button that blows up a wall somewhere or a trap the player can manipulate to mow down enemies.

Oct 13, 2006 at 1:57 AM
"..."
So they use the weapon once and it sets the trap, and they use it again and it lets loose? That would be pretty nifty.

Oct 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Played it and liked it! ;) It's really nice! Much changed! One of the best MODS I ever saw. Well overall its a bit difficult and the Story is not in the Cave Story style...

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:25 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
RuneLancer said:
That is a possibility, but it's not the way I intend to have it work. ;) After all, hitting something with a level 1 charge is about as impossible as hitting an inch worm from from space. Yay for comparaisons. :)

Come to think of it, it could be useful for non-weapon player-triggered objects, like a button that blows up a wall somewhere or a trap the player can manipulate to mow down enemies.

Why am I starting to think about a Cavestory pinball mod?

In all seriousness, though, knowing that weapons aren't just projectile-creators opens up all sorts of possibilites. Just off the top of my head, weapons performing differently underwater would be neat. Or, you know, homing missiles.

Oct 30, 2006 at 2:40 AM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
RunLancer,
OMG, lol!.... I am talking about bosses from the dragon and the others after it.
For the first time, I was thinking it is an unbeatable boss!. What a surprise. I was about to insult you "sorry" :) that you were just fooling us but buttock ..........
I have discovered a big weakness point on them. If they jump or move to another place, I move too to another place while I am firing at him\her\it! .. lol, now all those bosses are so easy and so they need to be changed a little bit ;) .
The best MOD ever is yours RunLancer and you are truly the king of Cave Story Hackers. *hides from Shining Phantom*

Oct 30, 2006 at 6:15 AM
Hoxtilicious
Haithm said:
RunLancer,
OMG, lol!.... I am talking about bosses from the dragon and the others after it.
For the first time, I was thinking it is an unbeatable boss!. What a surprise. I was about to insult you "sorry" :o that you were just fooling us but buttock ..........
I have discovered a big weakness point on them. If they jump or move to another place, I move too to another place while I am firing at him\her\it! .. lol, now all those bosses are so easy and so they need to be changed a little bit :D .
The best MOD ever is yours RunLancer and you are truly the king of Cave Story Hackers. *hides from Shining Phantom*

Who is RunLancer? I only know Runelancer :p Oh well why do ya want to hide it's your personal opinion :p

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:17 PM
The Bartender
Weapons can serve a lot of purposes, but as always finding free space in the exe to add new code is a challenge. Whether hese kinds of modifications are worthwhile or simply modifications to be made for the heck of it should be the first question anyone asks themselves. :p

Every boss has a pattern. The point of a game is to find a way to overcome a problem. Obviously once you've figured out a boss's pattern, they're no longer actually hard as such. :p Even Ballos is a joke when you know how to beat him (unless you slip up or something stupid like that... my 4 minute hell run was thwarted by a large smiling rock landing on an unsuspecting, distracted me :D )

Oct 30, 2006 at 8:10 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Hey Rune, is there any way you can put the link to your hack in the first post of this thread? I think a lot more people would play it then haha, instead of going through pages to find a link to it.

That is indeed a crazy avatar Phantom..

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:22 PM
The Bartender
Not having internet access at home is a major drag - it makes it hard to keep things updated. :p But I'll see what I can do this weekend. A brief update wouldn't hurt, just to keep the link fresh and working.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM
Slacker
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Ohhh I see, forgot you still were internet deprived haha.

Oct 31, 2006 at 5:07 AM
Hoxtilicious
Chaddykins said:
That is indeed a crazy avatar Phantom..

Lolz I knew it XD

Oh, no Rune :p
Still no access? lol I hope ure becoming it soon back...
Almost upload it at www.dropfiles.com its the best I ever saw!

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:26 PM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Great job so far! I finally found a chance to find this and play it a few days ago ;) Although different than Cave Story, I enjoyed what felt like a pretty complete and unique game! [Until I got to a certain lava room with an invincible robot...! Argh! Eventually I felt tipsy and fell in...]
I'm looking forward to how it continues :o [I noticed you are thinking about having multiple characters??? Sounds like the game might have a lot more to go!]

You inspired me to finally pick up that hex editor and try my luck in a few games and soon Cave Story~! [Slight progress so far :p ;)]

Hope all of your ventures are successful!
PS [Interesting doublejump jetpack hack?!] Lot of fun things to try here~

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:03 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
i just beat it :p
ithink it is very good :p
just one thing you need to change

in the core room you can get the explosions if you do not have them
just click on the health refilling thingy

Feb 11, 2007 at 11:59 PM
Hoxtilicious
ZTaimat said:
*finds this topic*

...someone upload it, now :(

...guy above me, zip your folder and host it on http://www.sendspace.com please.

This looks like you command him or command others...
Please don't do that or people could be offended resulting in they thinking you're rude :p
Say "Could someone upload it?" instead of "Upload it, now!" well just something I noticed :D

I dont like sendspace much :/
I prefer www.esnips.com, www.dropfiles.net and www.filespace.org IMHO better than those crappy uploaders (sorry for that word :D). Well whatever, I just decided to zip it and upload it;

http://esnips.com/web/CaveStoryh4xXzZ/

Edit: PhuxX!!1 I deleted the Manual in an accident... :/ Could someone upload it again? :p

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:40 AM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Sorry if my post seemed demanding, I was just a bit desperate in getting ahold of a good mod :/

Apr 9, 2007 at 7:14 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Thanks for the upload, Phantom!

EDIT: So, I played through the demo, and I've really enjoyed it. It is one of the most cohesive hacks of this game I have played so far, with the Ion Device being my personal favorite add-on. It comes in extremely handy repeatedly throughout the tunnel and is just a blast to use. I also like how the main character doesn't look up when he fires upward. Makes him look bad-ass.
The only criticism I can think of is that "Abandonned" in the teleporter msg should be Abandoned. I really am looking forward to the possibility of a new character. Keep up the fantastic work!

BTW, when are you going to share a little info about those weapon hacks, hmm? ; )

Apr 9, 2007 at 11:15 AM
Hoxtilicious
TooManyBullets said:
BTW, when are you going to share a little info about those weapon hacks, hmm? ; )

Runelancer wasn't online for ages...