Show off your org music...

May 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
HaydenStudios said:
Congratulations on your first org Tp!

I must say you did a pretty good job. I don't really have much of anything else to say, since I didn't notice any flaws with it, and given how short it is it seems like it was a relatively brief and straightforward transcription. Out of curiosity, did you have a midi or something else to copy the notes from? Or did you copy them by ear? Anyway, again good job, it's nice to see you using Org Maker now.
Thanks a lot, Hayden! I *did* have a MIDI, but I just now realized that I could do more with a MIDI than just listen to it. So yeah, I guess it was all by ear.

May 29, 2013 at 4:19 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@Duck
I'm not too good at critiquing org songs, so all I can say is good job as always. My favorite of the three is "Change".

@Chef
Sounds okay. I see you decided to use drums not available in Cave Story. My only complaint would have to be that the last few measures are a bit repetitive and could be cut out in my opinion.

So... Last summer I tried to make a remix of version 1 of the Cave Story 3D website theme, because I had plans on using it for a mod. Even though it was very far off I just kinda felt like it. Although I didn't get far since I'm bad at copying notes by ear. But then came along Otemoto who made his own remix. So then I combined elements of his remix and mine in order to make my own remix of the theme. It isn't super different, some areas are more noticably different than others. If anyone cares enough, I can try to put together a list of differences between my remix and otemoto's. Note that a lot of the transcribing was done by otemoto, and this remix wouldn't have happened without him. Please tell me if you think my version of the remix is any better, or if I'm just biased for my own work.

May 30, 2013 at 7:18 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Hey guys I made an ORG!
It's my first ORG and also my first composition (because I really dislike transcribing) so please tell me everything that's awful about it and also, on the rare chance there are some, the things that were good. I appreciate any and all criticism.
Here we go!
BellTower.org

May 31, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I'm not too fond of slower songs myself, but I enjoyed the majority of it. The only exception would be the very beginning, I thought that dragged on just a little too long. Maybe that's just me, I'm not great at criticizing music.

May 31, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Oh yeah I listened to it too. It was ok dunc, but a little empty and boring at times. Also maybe you could play around more with layering notes to achieve a more bell-like sound? (for instance, having a clone of the track, but an octave lower or whatnot)

May 31, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Tpcool said:
I'm not too fond of slower songs myself, but I enjoyed the majority of it. The only exception would be the very beginning, I thought that dragged on just a little too long. Maybe that's just me, I'm not great at criticizing music.
Yeah, sold had the same idea. The main reason I have the opening part with just the bell so long is that I want every section of the song to last 16 measures (with the exception of the melody, which lasts 32), but I'm probably going to cut the opening down to 8.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh yeah I listened to it too. It was ok dunc, but a little empty and boring at times. Also maybe you could play around more with layering notes to achieve a more bell-like sound? (for instance, having a clone of the track, but an octave lower or whatnot)
I assume the "empty and boring" part would be the very beginning, as COOL said? As for playing with layering, I'll try that out.

Alright, I've made a couple of changes regarding the things you said:

BellTower.org

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
The flame must burn on...

City where things happen

Time (Bonus Points if you can name the time signatures ;D)

Toppa
^this is just something I felt warranted extension.

...Let the love guide you.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Professional Whatever
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:10 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bars 4-6 are wrong. It should be a C major chord, hence a G instead of an A whenever you're hitting the A note. I'm too lazy to check the rest of the song for errors now though.

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Professional Whatever
Oh okay that sounds a lot better actually, thanks.

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:39 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Whew, I have a lot of catching up to do with this thread.

In the meantime, here's a little something that I've thrown together while I've been procrastinating from packing up my apartment for my upcoming move and while I've been neglecting sleep even though I have work tomorrow. I purposefully tried to throw a brief modulation in the B section because I don't write modulating melodies very often, and I think it might have sort of worked (even though it might be more of a tonicization rather than a full modulation). I don't have a very creative title for the piece. Oops. Comments, critiques, and feedback are of course always welcome!

June1

I have several other ORG scraps and fragments that I'm thinking about fleshing out here in a bit. We'll see if I actually turn them into anything or not.

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Professional Whatever
Okay that sounds really cool. I would suggest changing the notes so they're more, uh...panned or whatever more towards the center. Right now the notes pan to the left and right pretty far and it sounds a bit odd, at least to me.
Oh, and I would either change the instrument for track 5 or lower the volume. Or both. It's a little hard on the ears as is.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM
I spent some time reworking a few parts of that "June1" org that I put up a post or so ago. The revisions are minor, but I think they are enough to warrant a republishing on here.

I also gave the piece a new title thanks to my brother's suggestion.

I give you Cave Man.

If you prefer to not listen to fire up Orgmaker, you can listen to it as an audio file here.

Thoughts, suggestions, criticisms, and comments are more than welcome!

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Nice, Mosaic :)

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Thanks, trickybilly, I'm glad you like it. I'm also working on arranging "Cave Man" for an ensemble (saxes, trumpets, maybe a trombone, bass, and drums) to play live at a music camp that I'll be staffing in a couple of weeks here. Hopefully it will all work out alright. Maybe if I can get a recording of it, I can put it up, too (maybe in another thread, though, since it won't be an org at that point?).