Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Feb 17, 2016 at 8:07 AM
Assistance
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Feb 17, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Beakface
Edgyness of Anonymoustyd, all typos intentional. (SoundCloud)

I started it a while back and was at a loss for a title, so I ended up going with a randomly suggested one heh.

These are solid; I'm jealous of that Tornado Man rendition.

Dang that is some sweet blend of instruments. Very pleasant and airy.

Feb 24, 2016 at 10:54 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
There wasn't a prerequisite that any songs posted here had to be good was there? I must of missed that bit somewhere in the last 7 years of posts...

Patiently waiting in the vain hope that SuperJaws100 is still taking requests, I tried my hand at making my own ORG of Pacman's Park, taking inspiration from Winged Souls's synthesia version.

Behold it in all it's crap-tacular glory!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6pCZOsaUjHDd1Q0Q3ZYOVA2Unc

Turns out, there's a lot more to music than a novice such as myself would expect. Concepts such as "Drams", "Panning", and "Having More Than One Instrument" completely eluded me in my arduous task to make this transcription. Fear not though, for it is recognition of my lack of talent that I post here, as any and all criticism, constructive or not, shall be appreciated. (Though I suspect you get that from newbies quite a bit.)

Feb 25, 2016 at 2:18 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
I tried my hand at making my own ORG of Pacman's Park
All the pitches in your transcription sound okay. That's a great start. But it's too fast.

You mentioned "Drams". Are you using OrgMaker 1? Consider trying OrgMaker 2.

In OrgMaker 1, you have to compute the Wait value yourself. (The Wait value is the duration of the smallest step on the grid in milliseconds.) In OrgMaker 2.1.0 (the current English version available on cavestory.org Music Tools), you can input a BPM as follows:

In the MIDI file, you can see the tempo is 173.95 quarter notes per minute.
In OrgMaker 2.1.0, go to the Song Properties menu and choose Song Properties.
In the BPM box, enter 174. (It only accepts integers.)
Click the < button, and it will calculate a Wait value.
Click Ok! to save the change.​

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:19 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:52 PM
Its dark in here
"Deaths: 4000"
Mar 3, 2016 at 4:34 AM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
So I made something based off Gandzia, and I'm pretty proud of them. 1 and 2.
The second one came about when I discovered that for some reason it doesn't work in a mod properly? I didn't use any of the drums that aren't allowed in the first version, so I'm confused. Could someone help xD
Butyeah I actually really like the second one more now anyhow.
(but it still bugs me)

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:46 AM
Beakface
So I made something based off Gandzia, and I'm pretty proud of them. 1 and 2.
The second one came about when I discovered that for some reason it doesn't work in a mod properly? I didn't use any of the drums that aren't allowed in the first version, so I'm confused. Could someone help xD
Butyeah I actually really like the second one more now anyhow.
(but it still bugs me)
It's not just about the type of drums used in the ORG, but their placement as well. Set tracks Q, W, E, R, T and Y to Bass01, Snare01, HiClose, HiOpen, Tom01 and Per01 respectively. Additionally, the last two drum tracks U and I must be set to Bass01 and left unused or they can cause a mod to crash.

You can easily swap drum tracks via the Edit menu or by Ctrl+Shift+F4. This will also swap their instrument settings, so it'll just be a matter of swapping the drum tracks around until they assigned to the proper tracks as described above.

Also, your ORG sounds cute and simple. Maybe consider playing around with the Notes Volume feature for some of the tracks.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Oh, thanks!
This helps xD

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:57 PM
Beakface
I believe you can use anything on Q, W, E, R, T and Y, but they will be changed to Bass01, Snare01, HiClose, HiOpen, Tom01 and Per01 in-game.
Well yes, but the whole point is that it's more ideal to change them to what they will be set to such that they will sound the same way they do in-game, eh? :p

Mar 4, 2016 at 5:04 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
It doesn't matter what you set the last two tracks to, just as long as you never use them.
If any track is set to a drum that was added in an OrgMaker 2.x.x version, the header in the ORG file changes and Cave Story ignores the ORG file.

When you start an empty file in OrgMaker 2.1.0, all of the drum tracks start out with drums introduced in an OrgMaker 2.x.x version. If you leave tracks U and I at the defaults, then Cave Story will ignore the ORG file.

(Maybe I should edit the drums.htm document to describe Cave Story compatibility on top. Or maybe I can just edit the executable to start off with Cave Story drums by default.)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2016 at 9:36 AM
Beakface
Or maybe I can just edit the executable to start off with Cave Story drums by default.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, considering how ORG Maker is generally considered only useful for making music to be used in mods.

Mar 5, 2016 at 4:03 AM
If any track is set to a drum that was added in an OrgMaker 2.x.x version, the header in the ORG file changes and Cave Story ignores the ORG file.

When you start an empty file in OrgMaker 2.1.0, all of the drum tracks start out with drums introduced in an OrgMaker 2.x.x version. If you leave tracks U and I at the defaults, then Cave Story will ignore the ORG file.

But I've used tracks with the default U and I tracks before and they've worked perfectly fine.

Hmm. Maybe you were using OrgMaker 2.0.5 or OrgMaker 1.3.4, where starting an empty file sets all the drum tracks to Bass01? Or maybe the way you insert ORG files into Cave Story is changing the header back to "Org-02"?

In my tests, I used Resource Hacker to replace the CURLY ORG resource with a test ORG file. When I tested the original versions of OrgMaker 2.1.0, I noticed leaving the drums at their default values caused Cave Story to ignore the ORG file. Actually it was the "Org-03" header that caused Cave Story to ignore the ORG file. If I used a hex editor to change the header back to "Org-02" (but the drums were still the default), Cave Story would play that ORG.

Anyway it's hopefully a moot point now, because I've just updated OrgMaker 2.1.0x...

(Maybe I should edit the drums.htm document to describe Cave Story compatibility on top. Or maybe I can just edit the executable to start off with Cave Story drums by default.)

That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, considering how ORG Maker is generally considered only useful for making music to be used in mods.

Yeah, it was an idea I came up with a while ago, but I finally did it today. I just updated OrgMaker 2.1.0x so when you start a blank file, it starts with Cave Story drums. (I also rearranged the txt and drums.htm documents.) Download from the Music Tools page. I hope these changes will help reduce confusions about ORG files not working in Cave Story.

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:52 PM
2dbro
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Here's a revisit on one of my old ORGs