Show off your org music...

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
@ Volley: Seems technically fine and I like the drums, but it all sort of blends together. Nothing really stands out, even when it loops back. Maybe try adjusting the volume balance so that one of the tracks is clearly the main melody?

@ Kuro: Hey I recognise this one! :eek: Very nice what you've done with it.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
DoubleThink said:
@ Volley: Seems technically fine and I like the drums, but it all sort of blends together. Nothing really stands out, even when it loops back. Maybe try adjusting the volume balance so that one of the tracks is clearly the main melody?

Thanks for the Listen and the critique! I noticed that, myself, going back to it with that knowledge, and did some fixes that might help:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1zmnjnzm5ge

The tune is really honestly meant to be sort of a vamp, so I guess it's not so melodic, but more droning. I'll probably wind up using it in a mod in "The plot thickens" type moment.

Apr 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Volley said:
Here's another tune, the tune (obviously) That I plan to use for my little Title Screen vamp:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gci1zy2munn

I had a really fun time trying to emulate the pitch bends XD

Wait... isn't that song...

No... it couldn't be...

Well, if it is, it's only the very beginning of the song, which is probably the best part

Apr 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM
Renolds said:
Wait... isn't that song...

No... it couldn't be...

Well, if it is, it's only the very beginning of the song, which is probably the best part

Wait, What is it that you think it is? well, if you're how old that you say you are, I seriously don't doubt that you've played the game that this theme's from, so humor me with a guess XD

Also, it's been updated into a slightly less, but still boring loop:

http://www.mediafire.com/?twt1ddyzzxm

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:09 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Volley said:
Wait, What is it that you think it is? well, if you're how old that you say you are, I seriously don't doubt that you've played the game that this theme's from, so humor me with a guess XD

Also, it's been updated into a slightly less, but still boring loop:

http://www.mediafire.com/?twt1ddyzzxm

I knew it! Oh maan... it's been forever since I've played that game!

One Must Fall 2097...

I remember racing to get a copy of it the day that it came out, and when this track came on at the title screen, I knew I got my money's worth.
It's too bad that it's so difficult to have a synthesizer type sound out of those high chords, that would make this just spot on...

Oh, and I agree, It's much less boring to have those other measures repeated, but I'd love to hear the full song... What stopped you from doing all of it?

Apr 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM
Renolds said:
I'd love to hear the full song... What stopped you from doing all of it?

Oh god... many things...

For one, it's a 96 measure loop, making it a pretty beefy wall of hex for a mod, for just simply an intro theme

Also, I ran out of instruments, getting to one of the main parts, and the song would lose a whole lot of volume and variety if I chose to take out any one piece. Sooo many harmonics in that thing...

That... and I got tired of trying to read into the rythmns of each part of the baseline.

For any one who has no clue what song we're talking about, it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOShl4Tcw_E&feature=related

Apr 18, 2010 at 1:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Volley said:
beefy wall of hex for a mod

You know, resource hacker will let you put in a song without all those hex troubles.

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:03 AM
carrotlord said:
You know, resource hacker will let you put in a song without all those hex troubles.

Getting a little off topic for this thread with my response, so i'll send it in a PM

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:21 AM
He who lurks beneath the posts.
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Woo I finally after all these months I finished an original song! :D

Eh.~

If anyone has an idea on what to rename this song I'm open to suggestions.

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:24 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Call it Starry Nights!
Effective immediatley!

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:48 AM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
@Volley: I kinda feel like Melodic Tech would work better in a light action level (something Egg Corridor-esque) rather than a "the plot thickens" part. The title screen song is really nice! Your style seems rather Xaser-esque, but a little bit more "chill" or something. Btw, a little off topic, but do you know what the title of your mod-to-be will be?

@KuroKun: Yay, you finished! And this version sounds a LOT better than I remember the old version sounding, so you've either just busted out some 1337 skeelz, or my memory fails me, or both :p. Anyway, there's some really cool stuff in this song. And I second notname's motion for calling it "Starry Nights".

Hmm, it's been a while since I've done one of my medleys, maybe I should do another one... :o

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Wedge of Cheese said:
@Volley: I kinda feel like Melodic Tech would work better in a light action level (something Egg Corridor-esque) rather than a "the plot thickens" part. The title screen song is really nice! Your style seems rather Xaser-esque, but a little bit more "chill" or something. Btw, a little off topic, but do you know what the title of your mod-to-be will be?

@KuroKun: Yay, you finished! And this version sounds a LOT better than I remember the old version sounding, so you've either just busted out some 1337 skeelz, or my memory fails me, or both :p. Anyway, there's some really cool stuff in this song. And I second notname's motion for calling it "Starry Nights".

Hmm, it's been a while since I've done one of my medleys, maybe I should do another one... :o

Haha No your memory is correct. xD Though It's been two years since I first posted the original of this song... wow... Wonder if there's any other songs I can redo..........

Can't comment much on the the 1337 part when it comes to the melody section. But I can say I'm proud of the drums :D

2 out of 2 say yes! on Starry Nights. I believe that's as much as I'm gonna get so start renaming your org if ya still have it! Off to youtube for org posting >: o

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:51 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
KuroKun said:
Haha No your memory is correct. xD Though It's been two years since I first posted the original of this song... wow... Wonder if there's any other songs I can redo..........

Can't comment much on the the 1337 part when it comes to the melody section. But I can say I'm proud of the drums :o

2 out of 2 say yes! on Starry Nights. I believe that's as much as I'm gonna get so start renaming your org if ya still have it! Off to youtube for org posting >: o

I recommend you speed up the song, to like a tempo of 110. At 128, it sounds really slow and doesn't strike me as anything special (boring almost). But at 110 it seems to imply more urgency. Just a suggestion though.

And Starry Nights would work fine as a title.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:36 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
@ Volley: I think Melodic Tech sounds better now. Not much to say about the title loop.

@ Kuro: I really like it now that it's done, but you could probably cut out 4 or 8 bars between bars 22 and 42. The filename "NoName Echo" gave me the idea of calling it Nameless Echo but w/e.
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I recommend you speed up the song, to like a tempo of 110. At 128, it sounds really slow and doesn't strike me as anything special (boring almost). But at 110 it seems to imply more urgency. Just a suggestion though.
I can't really agree with this though :/ At 110 it sounds like of unnatural, like it's faster than it's meant to be.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:44 AM
Wedge of Cheese said:

Mmm, listening to it again, I think you're on the right track. I'm planning on
having some much more intense music at certain points of the mod, so there's
plenty of room for some better tracks to fit that sort of need.

Speaking of which, here's one that I've been working on a bit today:

http://www.mediafire.com/?tnvtx2lolgr

Frigid Frantic is just as it would seem, an urgent race against the clock (or rather, your remaining life) to escape the blistering cold of an icy area before you freeze completely. I'm considering it still a work in progress because I want to add a little tension to it, just a little something more that gets you REALLY feeling like this cold's gonna kill you if you don't gtfo.

I'm glad you like the intro theme, it was one of my favorite tunes growing up. I just wish there was something better to make a synth sound... i'm sure it's hiding somewhere with a combination of instrument sounds, but i ran out of instruments for all the chords XD

The Name of my Mod... Hmmm... It'll probably show itself eventually once most of the content is done, but I think for now as a concept, I'm going to go with "Rebuilding - Mute's First Footsteps"

The Mod is - in a nutshell - going to walk you through the creation of my Megaman X Based OC, Mute, and all of the hell that he goes through in his first few days after activation:

(If you haven't seen him yet)
http://xxshirushixx.deviantart.com/art/FM-526-quot-Mute-quot-158456921

I don't plan on it all being boring and long and drawn out like a narrative, but some of the content of the story gets rather interesting. The storyline is pretty straight forward and linear, so it wont get you all confused with logic and contemplating the meaning of life, etc, but it won't be the most terribly exciting for some people, either.

This is why I'm also (when I get a little better with coding) planning on making a sort of sandbox playplace/challenge to mess around with all of the interesting ideas i have for weapon modifications. So if you ever get bored... well, you'll see.

DoubleThink said:
@ Volley: I think Melodic Tech sounds better now. Not much to say about the title loop.

I'm glad you and GIR pointed it out, i went back and listened to the older one and it was like mashed potatoes compared to how it is now, but I might do some more tweeking before i consider it a finalized piece.

I don't blame ya honestly, it's kinda short, and not really my proudest work

Apr 20, 2010 at 2:51 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
I really like the current version of Frigid Frantic. Not only would it sound good in a mod, but it's nice to listen to by itself. I'm not sure how adding more tension would help with overall feel, but you could definitely pull it off as a good addition to the song.

Here's a version of a Chrono Trigger song: Peaceful Days. It wasn't done by ear, in case you were wondering.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
@carrotlord: That sounds awesome. Almost sounds like the original. I never did beat chrono trigger though (I haven't been playing games as much lately, silly modding to do...)

@Volley: I think I like this one the best so far. Sounds kinda megaman-ish. And it has the best melodies of any you've made so far. Good job.

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:05 AM
carrotlord said:
I really like the current version of Frigid Frantic. Not only would it sound good in a mod, but it's nice to listen to by itself. I'm not sure how adding more tension would help with overall feel, but you could definitely pull it off as a good addition to the song.

Here's a version of a Chrono Trigger song: Peaceful Days. It wasn't done by ear, in case you were wondering.

By adding a few more bars that drops out the melody for a bit, but does some stuff with the base in a decending and somewhat ominous chord, I think that it'd make it into a little bit better loop.

Frantic 8th notes -> Melody kicks in with supporting instruments to give it a chilly feel -> Melody softens, bringing back the hint of the frantic 8th notes -> Melody fades, base drones in a different rhythm than before, leading into the frantic 8th's again.

You may be right though it could be just as fine without the added bars. I'll try it out and see how it sounds.

Awesome work on the chrono trigger mix! I hadn't read "It wasn't done by ear" until just a bit ago and it hit me like "wooow". Still an awesome piece!

GIRakaCHEEZER said:
@Volley: I think I like this one the best so far. Sounds kinda megaman-ish. And it has the best melodies of any you've made so far. Good job.

Thanks Gir! Means alot coming from someone who can remix just about any song and make it sound just as good if not better. I freakin loved what you did with miracle matter in WTF

Apr 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM
@carrot Woo Chrono Trigger ftw! xD Very nice. Brings me back when the game use to be on the Super Nintendo.