Jan 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This often happens when you've improperly coded your script for the event.
Although the specific error in the script that causes this problem can vary. so it would be easier for us to determine the specific problem if you posted your script here for us to check.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Professional Whatever

@Curly-Brace

The missiles are part of the Maze spritesheet. That means you can't change either of the spritesheets in Boulder Room.

Also I believe the quake+block npc spawns blocks based on the map's tileset. Using a tileset different from Sacred Grounds' screws up the blocks in any case.

p199802-0-zckqnhw.png

Here's a fixed version of the Labyrinth's tileset so you can use the quake+block entity properly. If you name it something other than PrtMaze and make it the Boulder Room's tileset, then you can use it without having to fix the entire Labyrinth (because it will screw up some tiles)

@Ryuu

Most likely you forgot a <NOD and <END command. You should recheck your code and make sure you have <NOD<CLR at the end of your messages, and <END at the end of your event.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:56 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
MagicDoors said:
@Curly-Brace

The missiles are part of the Maze spritesheet. That means you can't change either of the spritesheets in Boulder Room.

Also I believe the quake+block npc spawns blocks based on the map's tileset. Using a tileset different from Sacred Grounds' screws up the blocks in any case.

p199802-0-zckqnhw.png

Here's a fixed version of the Labyrinth's tileset so you can use the quake+block entity properly. If you name it something other than PrtMaze and make it the Boulder Room's tileset, then you can use it without having to fix the entire Labyrinth (because it will screw up some tiles)

@Ryuu

Most likely you forgot a <NOD and <END command. You should recheck your code and make sure you have <NOD<CLR at the end of your messages, and <END at the end of your event.
Wow...I'm speechless. I tried making the boulder chamber's sprite sheet "hell", and ended up with a good Barlog, good missiles, good block fall...

completely messed up room... I remade boulder chamber using Hell's sprite sheet, but it still looks...well...crappy. Anyway, thanks~

Now I can finally have a good everything!

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
okay, I have that fixed...

now how do you make an event where once you drown, you skip to a different event and not die? I tried to look in the Core room, but I don't know how it's placed. is this also possible for simply dying?

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Based Member
I haven't tried this, but theoretically it should work. First, set a flag that will be set ONLY if the conditions have been met for you to not want to die if your health drops to zero or if you drown. Now go to Head.tsc, and go to event #0040. This is the script that executes when you die. Set an <FLJ at the beginning of the event so that if the flag you set earlier is set, it will jump to a different event. Now within that script, write an event number that is not already existing, and write the script you want to execute for that unique case in which you have died. If you would like to do this for drowning instead, then do this to event #0041 instead of #0040. Or if you want to apply this to falling off the edge of something, then do this to event #0042.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Professional Whatever

That won't work. The character dies before the death script is activated, so if you try to jump to another event instead, you won't be able to do anything. It'll be as if you <HMC'd.

The only time you can bypass death is when you activate the "you were never seen again" event, as that is purely TSC.

If you want to bypass a 0 HP death without assembly hacking you /must/ use the core room's weird code to do it. Don't ask me though, I've never used it and don't know how to.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Sigh... I would need that too, the code of triggering an event after death. I need it to be a health drop to 0 trigger...
By the way, what IS assembly hacking? As far as I know, it involves insane coding I couldn't handle.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:13 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
If you want to bypass a 0 HP death without assembly hacking you /must/ use the core room's weird code to do it. Don't ask me though, I've never used it and don't know how to.
Core room's death bypass only works on drowning, not on damage death.

To enable skipping death by drowning and running a special event, I think the flag is 4000. I forget what event number it runs though.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:15 PM
Professional Whatever
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Oh yes of course, my mistake.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Based Member
Ah, so that's why I recall GIR saying you needed assembly to do that...

Curly-Brace said:
By the way, what IS assembly hacking? As far as I know, it involves insane coding I couldn't handle.
Assembly hacking is an aspect of Cave Story modding that involves opening up the .EXE and modifying it's instructions, essentially letting you modify any aspect of the game whatsoever. This usually takes place only in more ambitious mods though, as assembly goes far beyond the scope of TSC, and is thus much harder to learn (as you seem to be aware). I highly recommend that you get used to modding without assembly before you learn it, but when you're ready, this tutorial should help you get started with learning assembly.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:39 PM
essentially spirited away for an indefinite time.
"..."
GIRakaCHEEZER said:

To enable skipping death by drowning and running a special event, I think the flag is 4000. I forget what event number it runs though.
it's okay~~ I do. thanks.

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Professional Whatever
Can we see the script/entity data?

E: yeah thanks for just deleting your post

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:02 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"

Or, instead of messing with assembly hacking or flags, you could always just modify the head script. Put a <FL+ that activates when you enter the room you don't want to die in.Put a <FLJ in the Head script immediately after the <PRI. When you want to have the player be able to die, just remember to <FL-.

I'm planning to do something like this in my mod for an item-in-progress.Not saying what it does. It'll be pretty awesome when it comes out in the update after next, so maybe a month more before next release?

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"

I made a copy of an unfinished version of a level in my mod (up to the point it ended) for a scene you see when you first exit you're house, and i removed all the events from it, and then typed

"#5000
<KEY<CMU0000<HMC<FON3000:0001<FAI0000<WAI0300<EVE5001<END
<KEY<FOM0750<WAI2300<SOU0011<CMP0008:0021:0000<CMP0008:0022:0000<EVE5002<END
<KEY<WAI0010<SMC<WAI0010<SOU0011<CMP0008:0021:0007<CMP0008:0022:0023<EVE5003<END
<KEY<WAI0100<DNP3000<DNP3001<CMU0005<TRA0004:5013:0008:0023<END"

(I originally did this in the normal level, but in one big line, and that crashed it)

It used to work correctly but now, i go out of the house, it shows a part on the right of the city, slowly pan's over to the house, and then the character walks out, but then it starts playing on to grasstown, and then freezes, giving a "Doukutsu.exe has stopped working" error. How do i fix it? If it help's, i changed the <WAI after <FOM to 2500, and then this started happening, but then i changed it back to 2300, and it still happens.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM
Professional Whatever
I don't know why you're using event #5000 and higher.
Aren't those reserved for the item and weapon scripts

Jan 29, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Veteran Member
MagicDoors said:
I don't know why you're using event #5000 and higher.
Aren't those reserved for the item and weapon scripts
Huh, i forgot that.
Anyways, its fine, i've used #5000 and higher in my mods before and it didnt do anything.
EDIT:But how do i fix it?

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Is there any way to change what the colour that is set to be transparent is? Currently it is pure black but In a mod I am making pure black is quite an important colour
in the art style I am replicating (MSX). Does anyone know how to change this, if so thank you in advance.

Jan 29, 2013 at 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
PixelVortex said:
Is there any way to change what the colour that is set to be transparent is? Currently it is pure black but In a mod I am making pure black is quite an important colour
in the art style I am replicating (MSX). Does anyone know how to change this, if so thank you in advance.
You don't need to change the transparency color. Just open the color black with ms paints "edit colors" option, turn the slider on the right up just a tiiiiiiiiinnnnnnyyyyy bit ( So It looks JUST like pure black but isn't) And then use it for the parts of the tileset that are supposed to use pure black but no transparency.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:22 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
How do you remove the Version 1.0.0.6 in the title screen?

I know how to remove the "version" and change the 1.0.0.6, but how do I totally remove it so it doesn't show the version?