Jul 22, 2015 at 3:03 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
q3hardcore said:
Anyone? Apparently a Humble Bundle included this, but I'd rather not use that for (hopefully) obvious reasons.
do you really need the cave story soundtrack to make a proof-of-concept

I'd figure just some random sample MP3's would be fine

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:04 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Can anyone tell me how to run a boss fight in cave editor?

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:39 AM
"Huzzah!"
Can anyone tell me how to run a boss fight in cave editor?
You're going to need an NPC with an event number, with one of it's flags being "run script on death" (0x0200) at the very least. This can be pretty much any NPC, by the way, but most if not all of the official bosses in cave story have been marked with the prefix "boss" in cave editor's list of NPC's. So if you want to find them easily, sort them by name, and look for one somewhere near the top of the list.

If you want to initiate the boss, make an event with a number separate to that of the event number of the boss you have chosen. It is most common to use a vertical trigger to initiate this event. Your event is going to need this next essential command, preferably somewhere near the very end of your event

<BSL:XXXX (boss script load): this will start a boss fight with the NPC # (entity ID) that you have specified in XXXX, it will display a health bar at the bottom of the screen and all.

Now to make sure your boss can actually be finished without any hiccups, you're going to want to create an event with the same event number that you have set on your boss NPC. If you have set the boss npc's flag to 0x0200 as mentioned beforehand, your boss should run the specified event as soon as it is killed. This event in particular does not really need any essential commands, so you're a bit more free with this event. You can make it as simple as <END, or you can make an event which changes the music (like a fanfare), gives you a little victory message, or begin an entire cut scene, just don't forget to use <END.

If you don't want your boss to appear after you have defeated it for the first time, you'll need to use a <FL+:XXXX (set flag) command somewhere in your ending event (the one that is triggered when the boss dies). Give that command a number, and then give all of your boss related entities (triggers and all) a "disappears once flag ID is set" (0x4000) flag. Set the entity ID (flag id) of those entities as the same number as your <FL+:XXXX command, and you're good to go. Next time you enter the room, the boss should be all gone without a trace.

Seeing as this is your first boss, I'd suggest using Balrog or Igor. Many of the other bosses in Cave Story have pre-coded positions, making building the map around them a pain in the butt. Balrog and Igor on the other hand, are coded to be able to move much more freely around your map, making them much less of a problem in the long run.

I hope this makes sense, and as a personal tip from me, I'd suggest downloading boosters lab too. Even if you end up using cave editor more than Bl, Bl has a lot of reference materiel and tutorials all about cave story modding. They will make you a cave story genius in no time.

Jul 22, 2015 at 5:44 AM
Veteran Member
Thank You for the advice!

Jul 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Does anybody know how to edit the version tag at the title screen? I kind of forgot how.

Jul 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Noxid said:
do you really need the cave story soundtrack to make a proof-of-concept

I'd figure just some random sample MP3's would be fine
I don't want to make a proof of concept.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:33 PM
Veteran Member
You're going to need an NPC with an event number, with one of it's flags being "run script on death" (0x0200) at the very least. This can be pretty much any NPC, by the way, but most if not all of the official bosses in cave story have been marked with the prefix "boss" in cave editor's list of NPC's. So if you want to find them easily, sort them by name, and look for one somewhere near the top of the list.

If you want to initiate the boss, make an event with a number separate to that of the event number of the boss you have chosen. It is most common to use a vertical trigger to initiate this event. Your event is going to need this next essential command, preferably somewhere near the very end of your event

<BSL:XXXX (boss script load): this will start a boss fight with the NPC # (entity ID) that you have specified in XXXX, it will display a health bar at the bottom of the screen and all.

Now to make sure your boss can actually be finished without any hiccups, you're going to want to create an event with the same event number that you have set on your boss NPC. If you have set the boss npc's flag to 0x0200 as mentioned beforehand, your boss should run the specified event as soon as it is killed. This event in particular does not really need any essential commands, so you're a bit more free with this event. You can make it as simple as <END, or you can make an event which changes the music (like a fanfare), gives you a little victory message, or begin an entire cut scene, just don't forget to use <END.

If you don't want your boss to appear after you have defeated it for the first time, you'll need to use a <FL+:XXXX (set flag) command somewhere in your ending event (the one that is triggered when the boss dies). Give that command a number, and then give all of your boss related entities (triggers and all) a "disappears once flag ID is set" (0x4000) flag. Set the entity ID (flag id) of those entities as the same number as your <FL+:XXXX command, and you're good to go. Next time you enter the room, the boss should be all gone without a trace.

Seeing as this is your first boss, I'd suggest using Balrog or Igor. Many of the other bosses in Cave Story have pre-coded positions, making building the map around them a pain in the butt. Balrog and Igor on the other hand, are coded to be able to move much more freely around your map, making them much less of a problem in the long run.

I hope this makes sense, and as a personal tip from me, I'd suggest downloading boosters lab too. Even if you end up using cave editor more than Bl, Bl has a lot of reference materiel and tutorials all about cave story modding. They will make you a cave story genius in no time.
Can you give me an example of a boss script? I'm still having trouble.

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM
Based Member
Miccs said:
Does anybody know how to edit the version tag at the title screen? I kind of forgot how.
Open up the game's EXE in Resource Hacker, expand the "Version Info" folder, change all instances in the script of "1,0,0,6" to whatever version you want, click the "Compile Script" button, save your changes, and the version number should be changed.

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:41 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
q3hardcore said:
I don't want to make a proof of concept.
Well then what exactly are you wanting to make? You kind of need a proof of concept before you make the full thing here.

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:08 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Well then what exactly are you wanting to make? You kind of need a proof of concept before you make the full thing here.
Already have a standalone proof of concept working.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:32 PM
beep boop
Why don't you record the song from orgmaker, and make it not loop?

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Bionicobot said:
Why don't you record the song from orgmaker, and make it not loop?
Don't some of the songs sound different in OrgMaker?

I think it should be easy enough for me to do it with OrgView.
I guess I was overly optimistic in thinking someone would have already done a non-looped soundtrack :)

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:09 PM
beep boop
If you don't want to use Orgmaker, run Cave Story with a video recorder thing, and take the audio from the video with a mp4 to mp3 online converter.

Jul 25, 2015 at 10:17 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Bionicobot said:
If you don't want to use Orgmaker, run Cave Story with a video recorder thing, and take the audio from the video with a mp4 to mp3 online converter.
Why wouldn't you just record the audio from Cave Story itself with audacity and just bypass the needless video conversion step?

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:00 AM
beep boop
Oh, I forgot that Audacity existed...

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:15 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
If I have 2 entities with the same entity id in different rooms and delete one, will the other disappear too?

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
assuming the flag is set for them to, yes?

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:50 PM
Veteran Member
How do you use Orgmaker 2?

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM
Veteran Member
Are there any guides on how to use OrgMaker?