Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
VoidMage_Lowell said:
That sounds a bit extreme....
Anyways, the only real way to transfer maps from one EXE to another is to save the data files of the maps and slowly do the new EXE like the old one. {As in, rename all the maps, re-set all of the properties, backgrounds, NPC maps, etc}
I've never heard of another way, or I might've actually used SW....

Ahh, confusing, I'll just create a new .exe, and import the images and scripts.
And once again go through the process of deleting 93 maps one by one.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Meh

Gaajashin said:
Ahh, confusing, I'll just create a new .exe, and import the images and scripts.
And once again go through the process of deleting 93 maps one by one.
The idea is to keep everything in the Data folder, and just change the new EXE to match the old one.
And deleting all the maps might be a bad idea. At least, if you're going to use special ID bosses like Heavy Press or Ballos.
I've read that they only use certain maps, and it's best just to mod the original Cave Story ones.
You could just rename the original Cave Story maps so that they access you're already set maps, instead of deleting them.
{I had to do that because CE was still on version 0.95, so you might not have the same problems I had...}

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:32 PM
VoidMage_Lowell said:
The idea is to keep everything in the Data folder, and just change the new EXE to match the old one.
And deleting all the maps might be a bad idea. At least, if you're going to use special ID bosses like Heavy Press or Ballos.
I've read that they only use certain maps, and it's best just to mod the original Cave Story ones.
You could just rename the original Cave Story maps so that they access you're already set maps, instead of deleting them.
{I had to do that because CE was still on version 0.95, so you might not have the same problems I had...}

I'll try that, as in Map Name is the liek 'SandE' or 'WeedS' or 'Start' right? Like the name in brackets.

Jul 26, 2009 at 4:34 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
Hmmm...

If I remember right, the older CE didn't like that, so I had to instead rename my map files to match {SandE} {Weed} {Barr} and such...
The new versions might work, but make backups just in case.

Jul 26, 2009 at 7:02 PM
Been here way too long...
I find using the old maps to be messy, so if I were you, I'd go through and delete every map except for u(Kings) and map 0. If you don't feel like doing that yourself, Logz posted an exe with that already done. There really should be links to it on the tribute site. Also, you can change what map the bosses are attached to, (at least in SW) so there's no need to keep the old ones.

Jul 28, 2009 at 3:15 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Pronouns: he/him
Remember also not to delete the maps that have any of these bosses (if you plan on using the bosses in your mod):

Balfrog
Omega
Monster X
Core
Ironhead
Undead Core
Heavy Press
Ballos

Jul 29, 2009 at 7:28 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"
Okay here's a little question I've got.

When I open an exe that hasn't been edited before with an editor (Just music replacing and changed the (C)Pixel offset in the Exe), with sue's workshop, I keep trying to change things like start positions and tilesets of maps (Really any changes to the exe itself), it comes up with the "Application wasn't able to save all changes to the Exe File. Maybe the game is still started" Error message. This is quite a pain right now, cause at this point, I can't do anything with the mod without changing the exe.

Any ideas why?

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:17 AM
Uncy Dave said:
Okay here's a little question I've got.

When I open an exe that hasn't been edited before with an editor (Just music replacing and changed the (C)Pixel offset in the Exe), with sue's workshop, I keep trying to change things like start positions and tilesets of maps (Really any changes to the exe itself), it comes up with the "Application wasn't able to save all changes to the Exe File. Maybe the game is still started" Error message. This is quite a pain right now, cause at this point, I can't do anything with the mod without changing the exe.

Any ideas why?

Hey, try right-clicking the Data folder and select properties.
Then uncheck read-only and apply it to all subfolders and files.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:27 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"
I've tried that but it didn't work...:p

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM
Assistance
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Uncy, SW does not work well with RES hacker, lol.
If you still have that backup EXE file that RES hacker generated
for you (such as *Cavestory_Original.exe) or whatever, then you are in luck.
Delete your existing Exe that does not work with Sue's Workshop anymore, because
you won't need it. Now copy and paste the Cavestory_Original.exe or whatever your
mod's name is, and rename one of them SW.exe or Sue's Workshop map edit.exe, or whatever is satisfying. Now with the other Exe, use that for Cave editor. This will be your RES hacker .exe. Cave editor is friendly with Res hacker. Now you can modify your maps on SW with your SW.exe file. I'm kind of tired, so I might not make much sense.

I hope this kind of helped. I'll send you a PM tomorrow for more details when i'm more awake to type. Goodluck.

EDIT: Oh, you mentioned about Offsets..
FFFFFFFFF... I saw "Music" which made me think that
it also had to do with RES hacker. I'm sorry.

But still, it's a nice strategy, learned most of it from GIR.

Jul 29, 2009 at 8:49 AM
Hax on....Hax off....
"Keep on rollin'!"
Don't worry, I understand it.
I'll try that then.

Jul 29, 2009 at 9:31 AM
Can anyone fix my background issue? Also, inspect that .exe with CE only, thanks.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This is less an actual modding question more genereal advice...
...I'm, a noob at hacking/modding and despite severeal attempts at trying to get three (Sue's Workshop, CE, Mitza) programs to do something, and reading online and pre-prepared read-me's to both, I can't get any of them to do anything, anyone know a place where hacking noobs like me can actual learn how to create CS mods?
Thanks

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:42 AM
Cold Agony of Resolute Vacuum
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
thecatreturns123 said:
This is less an actual modding question more genereal advice...
...I'm, a noob at hacking/modding and despite severeal attempts at trying to get three (Sue's Workshop, CE, Mitza) programs to do something, and reading online and pre-prepared read-me's to both, I can't get any of them to do anything, anyone know a place where hacking noobs like me can actual learn how to create CS mods?
Thanks

Give me a week or two and Project X may help.
D;

Jul 31, 2009 at 2:58 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Gaajashin said:
The background still won't view, now that I have re-created, even on the first map it won't show. Here's the link:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xd2mzyhmmix
I'm not sure what's wrong but I think you have a bad exe. Here's a brand new one that works.

@Uncy Dave
I'm sure you've checked already but is the exe itself still ready only? Also, make sure you don't have the exe opened in any hex editor or resource editor. Either one may stop edits from being saved.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:05 AM
Wistil said:
I'm not sure what's wrong but I think you have a bad exe. Here's a brand new one that works.

@Uncy Dave
I'm sure you've checked already but is the exe itself still ready only? Also, make sure you don't have the exe opened in any hex editor or resource editor. Either one may stop edits from being saved.

Now the second map's bg won't show.
http://www.mediafire.com/?ymnxnwxiojk

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Pronouns: he/him
Rogiht, so I add a new tile to a tile set. It's still in the parameters of the original map, and I didn't replace anything. I put the tile in a few places in a map, try to save it, and it says "Error saving map data!". Cave Editor, btw.

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:56 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
CE will only give that error if it has a problem saving the .pxm or .pxe file to disk. Is either of these files open in a hex editor, Cave Story, or are either one of them read only?
CE won't change the read only setting correctly in Vista or if the option is turned off (under options).

Aug 13, 2009 at 4:02 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I have a problem with any time I try to mod the cave story .exe with Sue's Workshop. Whenever I hit 'commit changes' it has an error that says:

The application wasn't able to save all changes to the EXE file.
Maybe the game is still started.

But the game isn't up. This prevents me from changing the tileset and room name, as far as I can tell. Please help.

Back